MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, October 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 60.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

RIP John Hughes

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

RIP John Hughes

Postby jjoyce » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:07 pm

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: RIP John Hughes

Postby supaunknown » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:53 pm

Aw man, that's sad. John Hughes made some really great movies and likely had more in him. I remember my friend & I seeing 16 Candles twice in the same day when it came out. Breakfast Club summed up my own cliched, clickety, suburban-ass high school existence pretty well.

And now I miss John Candy all over again too.

Buck Russell: "Do you think she hates me?"
Maisy Russell: "With a passion."
Buck Russell: "Really? Do you think it's the hat?"
Maisy Russell: "No."
Buck Russell: "No? A lot of people hate this hat. It angers a lot of people, just the sight of it. Ah, I'll tell you a story about that on the way to school."
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:39 am

# Planes, Trains & Automobiles (1987)
# Some Kind of Wonderful (1987)
# Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)
# Pretty in Pink (1986)
# Weird Science (1985)
# The Breakfast Club (1985)
# Sixteen Candles (1984)

I don't think theres anyone in hollywood this prolific, let alone talented. These are all classics, and he's the one person responsible for them all, in the space of THREE YEARS.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cortez » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:11 pm

Shipley wrote:
# Planes, Trains & Automobiles (1987)
# Some Kind of Wonderful (1987)
# Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)
# Pretty in Pink (1986)
# Weird Science (1985)
# The Breakfast Club (1985)
# Sixteen Candles (1984)

I don't think theres anyone in hollywood this prolific, let alone talented. These are all classics, and he's the one person responsible for them all, in the space of THREE YEARS.

I agree. Planes, Trains & Automobiles has always been one of my top ten favorite movies - its funny and sad... John Candy's character in that movie is probably my favorite of his performances. I remember watching as a kid. First you like him, then you can't stand him, then you find out he's homeless. I learned a lot from that movie, it was a vivid illustration of what it means to do the right thing. I must've been 9 years old when I saw it the first time, I remember I cried my head off when the flashback narratives start, "I haven't been home in years..." The man had talent.
Cortez
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadM2nd » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:35 am

I've always been a fan of John Hughes films and I respect his works much of because he filmed a world which he knew and didn't reach too far and pretend to know about worlds he wasn't familiar with. And it showed. His films and characters always felt like the genuine article.

One of the biggest travesties of his films is that many times soundtracks weren't released because Hughes "felt the songs would not work well together as a continuous album" (Ferris Bueller's Day Off) or incomplete - and the fact that all the incidental & background music, specifically that of Ira Newborn who was one of the magic ingredients that made many of Hughes films Hughes films, was never given a full and/or separate release (Sixteen Candles, Weird Science, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Planes Trains and Automobiles, Uncle Buck).
Ferris Bueller's Day Off Extended Soundtrack
Planes, Trains and Automobiles Extended Soundtrack
Uncle Buck Extended Soundtrack
Weird Science Extended Soundtrack
The Breakfast Club Extended Soundtrack
Sixteen Candles Extended Soundtrack
Pretty In Pink Extended Soundtrack

So who's going to pick up the rights and do a sequel to Ferris Bueller? Or how about a 25-year anniversary Breakfast Club film?

I will be interested in the documentary Don't You Forget About Me "about four film makers who go in search of Hughes after his drop out of the spotlight in 1991."

So what of today's "Teen Movies"?
There are some decent movies geared towards kids today (many of which are throwbacks) that I thought were good (The Chronicles Of Narnia series, The Last Mimzy, The Spiderwick Chronicles, WALL-E, Zathura etc.), but current good movies geared towards teens? I'm at a loss. I'd say Juno, but that wasn't necessarily a "teen movie" even though it centered around teens.

Twilight sucked, in Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist you have High-schooler's staying out all night going bar/club hopping in NYC, and Never Back Down was an insult to my intelligence and sends the wrong message to teens.
I mean fight clubs, illegal street fighting, drinking, and sexy girls in bikini's making out with each other? And of course the main character playing a high schooler was 25 yrs old during filming.
These kids get the shit kicked out of them and somehow they're back up & running over a few days time (People can and do die from a single punch to the head).
If anything this movie works against the UFC by encouraging illegal street fights (even in high school!) and fighting to solve all your problems.
I think the proper ending to the movie would've been somebody dying from their injuries, and the other going to jail for murder.
MadM2nd

Postby MadMind75 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:20 pm

MadM2nd wrote:I will be interested in the documentary Don't You Forget About Me "about four film makers who go in search of Hughes after his drop out of the spotlight in 1991."

Watched this lately, one copy in the library system.
*Spoiler Alert*
They do not get an interview with John Hughes, or even a response of any kind.
They also do not have interviews with many of the bigger actors from the Hughes' teen films they focus on.
No Anthony Michael Hall, Molly Ringwald, Emilio Estevez, Jon Cryer, Matthew Broderick, or anyone from Some Kind Of Wonderful.
The documentarians were kind of annoying, and I don't feel their sequences really added much to the film.
It's somewhat unfortunate, as I feel if this was a bigger budget documentary, more people would have been willing to participate. But it's better than nothing.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Return to Movies