MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 45.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

iPhone and ATT

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Re: iPhone and ATT

Postby Galoot » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:40 pm

TAsunder wrote:What do you mean by "full Bluetooth support"? It does support A2DP now.

"full Bluetooth support" to me means supporting an external Bluetooth keyboard, which AFAIK is not supported with the iPhone.

Reading about the Pre's poor service in Madison is good information. The Pre looked better than the iPhone to me, mainly due to the keyboard, but if the service is crappy in Madison, then there's no point in getting one.

I wish I could justify an iPhone, but I think I'll have to wait a few years. It just isn't in the budget at all for a while.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:05 pm

What do you mean by "Full Bluetooth support"?

It means getting some bronze-age dental work on your rotten molars after a five-year icelandic sagas sea-voyage.
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:01 pm

Getting ready to check another box off the list of peeves. OS 3.1 may include Voice Control over Bluetooth.

Nice.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:07 pm

However, my 3GS does seem to have the WiFi dropping bug. Last night it asked me to join my own network 4 or 5 times - right in the middle of browsing and once in Email.

On my 3G the signal was rock solid anywhere in my apartment.

The only consolation is that the 3GS loads web pages much faster even over 3G, so it's not as annoying as it would have been on my old phone. They REALLY needed the extra processing power. Again - very happy with the 3GS performance opening all apps and loading web pages.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:12 pm

Getting ready to check another box off the list of peeves. OS 3.1 may include Voice Control over Bluetooth.

Nice.

Does make sense now that you explained your gripe with the bluetooth in more detail. Seems like a logical update. I just never use a headset so it's a non-issue. This is just such an Apple way of doing things. They simply do not like to release a product or feature until it's been obsessed over and is totally ready for public consumption. Then there's also the whole holding out to sell a new better product. Just the way they are. Cut, Copy, Paste? There is a reason it wasn;t in V1 on the OS. They weren't satisfied with it. At the time of release of the first iPhone how were other touch screen smartphones handling this? They weren't There weren't touchscreen only smart phones. Now some time has passed. Apple did there job flushing it out and miking it work IMO better than any of the alternatives on other phones. Its more than cut copy paste it has all the great stuff from the Safari desktop browser that selects intelligent blocks of code more so than just copying text. Same thing with voice dialing. It could have should have had it in V1 but look at what it is now that its out. Its WAY more than just voice dialing you are accustomed to on other phones. Its voice control. You dont have to program anything, it controls way more than just making a call and it gives you feedback if it needs more specific info. What other voice dialer does that? Say what you will about Apple's prices or there tight grip on their products but they innovate more than most and the end results are 99% rock solid when they are released.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:28 pm

I disagree that a rudimentary text-only copy/paste would have been a mistake to release before the feature could be enhanced in an "innovative" way.

The changes they have made are nice. I'm not going to buy it as an excuse for not having a basic version implemented from the start - and frankly, copying text is mostly what I'll use it for. When signing up for all those new accounts, would have been nice to be able to copy my email.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:09 pm

Copy/Paste isn't perfect anyway. If they were waiting two years to perfect it, they should have waited another year at least. It doesn't work properly in several situations.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:50 pm

WiFi is dropping like nobody's business. It's been off 3 times in the last 2 hours and it is hard to get turned back on. The signal strength meter is going from full to zero signal - and I haven't moved an inch. I'm about 10 feet from my wireless router.

Serious issue. Hope they can fix it in 3.1 - or sooner.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:16 pm

Through 2 iPhones and two different routers I've never had that problem. Not too many settings to fuss with on the phone so maybe restart it and the router. You sound like you wouldn't have too much trouble troubleshooting your gear so maybe swap out the phone?

*edit. Posted from my phone.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:56 am

fisticuffs wrote:Through 2 iPhones and two different routers I've never had that problem. Not too many settings to fuss with on the phone so maybe restart it and the router. You sound like you wouldn't have too much trouble troubleshooting your gear so maybe swap out the phone?

*edit. Posted from my phone.

According to the research I have done, this is a problem with 3.0 OS on some phones (includes both 3G and 3GS) when connected to a router with n enabled.

Since I'm not using n with any devices at the moment (besides my phone), I will try to go back to b/g on my router and see if that solves it in the meantime. However, I will really be looking for a fix, since I was hitting 10,000kbps+ on my phone when it was working.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:24 am

My V1 used to drop wifi and ask for a password when the signal was low. I never figured this out because it would then a few seconds later have full signal. I haven't seen this for a bit though.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:03 am

Jailbroke my phone last night. Should have done it right away. Process was pretty painless and now I have a whole new world of content and customization. A lot of which is over my head technically. But still big advantages. And I'm told there's no real danger of bricking it. I can always refresh from itunes. Still sync with iTunes. It's all been pretty damn slick.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cortez » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:16 pm

HeyZeus wrote:Ok, I'm finally considering an iPhone.

My biggest hesitation has been phone coverage once you're out of Madison, especially west of the city.

I've heard good and bad. Anyone care to chime in?

Me personally, as much as I want a smart phone to combine my music, phone and camera needs.... buddy boy there are 18 google phones coming out between late fall and Dec 31st.. much as I've wanted the first and second versions of the Android, I'd be wasting my money on both them and any other phone on the market if I bought it before these Androids come out. Many different carriers, many different plans, and many different hardware sets, each state of the art. If you haven't bought one yet I would wait both for the Androids to come out, and, if you desperately love iphone, at least wait for the model they put out to compete with them... Chiming in.
Cortez
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:14 pm

Still don't have mine.

Too many slow-paying clients. :(
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:46 pm

Android, to me, suffers from the same back-patting niche marketing as Linux. I know my way around technology reasonably well, but I don't know a kernel from a piece of popcorn.

Most people don't really know how to modify computer settings. Of those people, I'd venture to guess that most don't want to learn how to modify settings in a complex or elegant way.

Don't tell me what I could do with an open-source OS if only I knew what the hell I was doing in a computer's (or smartphone's) guts. Tell me what it will look like and what it'll do for me right out of the box.

I'm not a consumer who's looking for a project. Say what you will about Apple, but they package their product slickly and show you what it'll do as soon as you charge it up. BFD if I can't install third-party apps or whatever.

Android just doesn't speak to me except that the name sounds cool. If I want the Android name, I'll buy a watch. All I have to do then is set the time and I'm ready to roll.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Technology & Video Games