MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, November 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 20.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Best Friday Night Fish Frys

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: Best Friday Night Fish Frys

Postby eriedasch » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:31 am

Thanks for the detailed review, mock. Sounds like it is worth checking out. I do love me a salad bar and also the option of ordering half baked (btw, happy 420) and half fried.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bigoldcars » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:39 pm

The Spring Creek Tavern in downtown Lodi is the absolute best fish fry in the area, IMHO! I'm real picky about having authentic WI fish frys, and this is the best place. Worth the drive!
http://springcreektavern.com/
bigoldcars

Postby bigoldcars » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:41 pm

MadMind wrote:I prefer carrying out to dining-in, and don't really like any fish besides cod, so maybe I'm not the best authority on the subect but -
I'm continually surprised that no one mentions The Maple Tree in McFarland when these Friday Night Fish Fry threads pop up.
Name drops of nearby Toby's, Green Lantern, and The Beach House but no Maple Tree?
That place has been a staple for my time in the Madison area. I've been eating their fried cod on occasion for over a decade!

Thanks! Been meaning to check this one out and kept forgetting.
bigoldcars

Postby bkbucky » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:22 am

I'll chime in with the Oakcrest on Old Middleton Rd on the westside.

Great tiny, old school bar. Delicious perch and big portions.

Lake Loiue Pale Ale on tap.
bkbucky

Postby Girl Friday » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:36 pm

A Wisconsin girl thru and thru, going to fish frys at bars since I was little with my folks, I have to mention the deal at Coachmans in Stoughton. The fish fry there is excellent, but when I go I get the Seafood Platter. For just $20, you get a lobster tail, shrimp, mussels, scallops, and some of the fish fry, plus the standard veg and potato options. And there's a great salad bar too! Did I mention all this was only $20 and prepared beautifully? The only drawback, the FIBS! Last time I went, we wanted to sit at the bar instead of the dining room, and we couldn't even watch the Brewers cause all the TVs were playing the Cubs and Sox games. Maybe try Coachmans in the winter when the golf course is closed and bar isn't overrun by golfing FIBS!
Girl Friday

Previous

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews