MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, July 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 58.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Habeneros

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Habeneros

Postby naybobber » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 pm

Just tried Habeneros, the taco place that replaced Pelayos(?) across Hwy 51 from Farm and Fleet. It is my new favorite taqueria. The usual meat selections, the double corn tortillas, etc. But it's all fresh and good. They have a sort of topping bar behind the counter where they put what you say you want on your tacos. Everything from guac to cilantro to pico de gallo. Even cheese if you want to ruin your taco with that! The corn chips appear to be made on premises.

And they're open to 4 a.m. on Fri/Sat with 2 for 1 tacos after 10 pm!
naybobber

Re: Habeneros

Postby john_titor » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:21 pm

I just don't like rice in my burritos.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:17 am

john_titor wrote:I just don't like rice in my burritos.

You have full control as to precisely what goes into the burrito - just ask 'em to leave it out.

I discovered this spot while on a "Taco Tour of Madison" for a friend's birthday, and out of the five locations we hit before wussing out and crying "I'm full!", this was the standout. My inner control freak likes being able to direct the cook as he's making my tacos - and I'm in love with their house-made habanero salsa.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby eriedasch » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:42 pm

Petro wrote:I'm in love with their house-made habanero salsa.

I finally tried Habenero's last weekend. It was good, but nothing special. Kind of Mexican version of a Qdoba or Chipotle. I did like that they did not charge you an extra $2 for guac. Everything seemed fresh. The chips were cold, but seemed homemade. Bonus for good horchata (free refills). Good amount of food for the money.

My dislikes: I got the Pastor (pork) and not impressed. I'll try the barbacoa (shredded beef) next time. Big disappointment was no chorizo. Guac didn't really have much flavor. Had some leftover and sat in the fridge for a couple days uncovered in a to-go bag and rather odd it did not turn brown. I love the guac at Laredos. It is very simple with a hint of garlic. And the habenero salsa? NOT spicy. Barely any habenero taste to it. The green sauce we got with the chips seemed spicier.

I'm probably being too critical for a burrito joint but I will go back.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:16 pm

eriedasch wrote:And the habenero salsa? NOT spicy. Barely any habenero taste to it. The green sauce we got with the chips seemed spicier.

Admittedly, I haven't been to Habanero in a few months at this point - but your findings with the salsa mean that they've either changed (ruined?) it or they simply gave you the wrong salsa.

I'm certainly not a raw-pepper eating champion or anything, but I enjoy capsaicin enough to have cultivated an elevated tolerance to it's effects. I enjoy things that some people might consider painful - and the habanero salsa at Habanero's was always enough to make the back of my head sweat and my mouth tingling and burning.
Petro
Forum Addict

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews