MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 60.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Charter is overbilling old customers

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Charter is overbilling old customers

Postby dougie smooth » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:49 am

Not sure which service combinations this might apply to, but I have 5mbps internet-only service from Charter, and found out that their rate dropped eight months ago but they kept charging me the same amount anyway. One online chat session, three computer voice menus, and five human operators later, I've gotten my refund and had my rate dropped.

I wouldn't be shocked if this was an intentional oversight, but in any case any long-time Charter customers out there might want to go punch in your address on charter.com, find and click through to the details of your service combination, and compare the non-promotional rate to what you're actually paying right now.
dougie smooth

Re: Charter is overbilling old customers

Postby KGBear » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:06 am

How much are you paying for 5Mb Internet?
KGBear

Postby minicat » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:50 am

Wow, big surprise. I wouldn't sign up for anything from that company if it was the last provider on earth.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:54 am

I just discovered an overcharge on our bill from Charter, too. Turns out they'd been charging us $3 a month for a modem we returned years ago after buying our own.

Sent a note to one of the Charter reps on Twitter (see, a valid use of the medium), got a call the next morning, got a reimbursement and correction on my bill that'll cover more than one month's bill.

That's not to say we're not seriously considering U-verse in the new place when we move, but it was a satisfactory and prompt resolution to a not-inexcusable error.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:04 am

TheBookPolice wrote:I just discovered an overcharge on our bill from Charter, too. Turns out they'd been charging us $3 a month for a modem we returned years ago after buying our own.

The point is that Charter consistently makes 'mistakes' like this. I call them practically once a month for billing errors.

Sure, their customer service is a little better now, and they take care of it, but I don't want to spend my time in a perpetual game of 'invoice chess'.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:42 am

Crockett wrote:The point is that Charter consistently makes 'mistakes' like this. I call them practically once a month for billing errors.

Sure, their customer service is a little better now, and they take care of it, but I don't want to spend my time in a perpetual game of 'invoice chess'.

This sort of consistent incompetence is why I left them and hope to never be forced to choose between charter or no "cable" in the future.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dougie smooth » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:17 pm

@ KGBear
How much are you paying for 5Mb Internet?

I was paying $60/mo; the new rate is $55/mo. Both are ridiculously over-expensive, but at the time (3 years ago) I needed a fast connection to work remotely and had little choice.

Now 5mbps probably isn't worth paying a premium for. AT&T DSL is claiming plans up to 6mbps for $45/mo. Anyone know if DSL is still wildly variable depending on your distance from a cental office? If so, anyone know where the central offices are in Madison for AT&T? Or can you give a neighborhood and your experience with DSL speed? I'm in Atwood.
dougie smooth

Postby TAsunder » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:26 pm

It's not based on distance to the central office. It's based on distance to your local phone pop. There are a bunch of them throughout Madison.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby KGBear » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:37 pm

I'm paying $45/mo for 5Mbit. If you don't have TV, they charge $10 for that. Cheapest TV package (analog basic) is $15.
KGBear

Postby beenie » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:21 am

TAsunder wrote:It's not based on distance to the central office. It's based on distance to your local phone pop. There are a bunch of them throughout Madison.

Apparently, they need more. We are about 100 yards outside of Madison and AT&T says they cannot provide DSL to our complex. TDS Metrocom isn't comfortable selling me anything faster than 2M, and that's even in question. I'm getting raped by Charter for 10M, but I'm willing to take it over being annoyed with a 2M connection with a contract that would cost me big bucks to get out of.
beenie
Forum Addict

Postby dougie smooth » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:59 am

Posterity update:

I dumped Charter in favor of Uverse. Charter tried to offer me a 2 year deal for $30/mo (5mbps internet only), after fleecing me for $60/mo for four straight years. Insult to injury. The lesson is if you have Charter call yearly and threaten to quit them.

Uverse 6mbps internet is $35/mo, but they wanted a $100 installation fee. Instead, I ordered it in a bundle with the U200 TV service in order to get free installation and $300 cash back.

Pretty happy so far, the installer was actually a half hour early for the appointment and the TV and internet are working nicely. Today I went on the web at work and told the DVR at home to record The Office. Nice. I was going to cancel the TV after I got the cash back, but they're betting I won't want to give it up and they might just win that bet.
dougie smooth

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:08 am

dougie smooth wrote:Pretty happy so far, the installer was actually a half hour early for the appointment and the TV and internet are working nicely. Today I went on the web at work and told the DVR at home to record The Office. Nice. I was going to cancel the TV after I got the cash back, but they're betting I won't want to give it up and they might just win that bet.

Glad you're liking it. I made the same decision for the new house, installation coming later this week.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:11 am

My one gripe about uVerse is it doesn't like me doing 2 HD things at once. We get 2 HD at a time or 4 SD at a time. Problem is that's between both boxes. I've since changed most of my DVRing to SD. On a night like tonight when I have to record everything on NBC, Grays for the lady, and it's always sunny it can be an issue.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mikio2012 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:27 am

Wow, thanks for the heads up.
I'll check my bill from Charter immediately after I get home.
Fastsize
mikio2012

Postby Shorty » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:02 pm

I recently got 5mbps with Charter. They said normally it is $45/mo but they have a promotion of $30/mo for 6 months. TDS wanted $30/mo but required a 1 year contract with $99 early termination fee. Charter requires no contract and I can cancel anytime with no fee. AT&T UVerse is not offered in my part of town.

Thus, Charter wins. But they charge $5/mo for the Ambit modem unless you buy it for $55, so I will buy it.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Technology & Video Games