MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 2, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 68.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

More Bullshit from Blaska

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Re: More Bullshit from Blaska

Postby Peacetrain » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:48 pm

peripat wrote:Does anyone- other than David & Rick themselves- actually pick up a Isthmus because they want to read David & Rick?

Considering what else seems to make its way into the paper these days i cant say theres much making me go out of my way to pick it up anymore. Unfortunately.
Peacetrain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:49 am

Blaska makes a bullshit comment in someone else's article, I respond to it, and my comment gets deleted.

Jason, please direct me to the policy that states which comments on the Daily side can stand, and which will be deleted. I'd like to know the dividing line that spares blatant misrepresentation and thinly-veiled exhortations to vigilantism, and yet prohibits the f-word.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pds » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:30 am

Bookpolice - Was it the article on the Elver Park picnic? Let us know what your comment was about!
pds

Postby jjoyce » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:10 pm

Comments are deleted or not at the discretion of the moderator (usually me). Comments aren't Forum.

No such policy that states what you wrote above exists.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:58 pm

Well, another commenter made the same point as me, pds, but I used a swear. So Jason took away my basketball.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pds » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:29 pm

Guess you should be glad he didn't get out his acetylene torch - evidently that's how civilized people handle things.
pds

Postby ilikebeans » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:23 am

TheBookPolice wrote:Well, another commenter made the same point as me, pds, but I used a swear. So Jason took away my basketball.

Articles are read much more frequently by the public (and *cough* advertisers) than Forum threads. I'm not surprised.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:21 am

ilikebeans wrote:Articles are read much more frequently by the public (and *cough* advertisers) than Forum threads. I'm not surprised.

But they're apparently peachy-keen on offering high-fives for self-defense killings and vigilantism. Double standard? Or just no standards at all?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:58 am

Perhaps you'd like to post your original comment here and see what the anonymous masses think.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:13 am

Can we please get back to ignoring Blaska?
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:39 pm

boston_jeff wrote:Can we please get back to ignoring Blaska?

Sorry, I stopped giving him clicks--but this was on another article written by someone else. I should have known better.

And I don't have the comment committed to memory, but it closed with the sentence (fragment) "You insufferable fucking dick." The rest was topical and inoffensive.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:47 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:"You insufferable fucking dick." The rest was topical and inoffensive.

I don't edit comments. I just decide whether they're acceptable or not. That statement made yours not.

I think comments on stories ought to meet a higher standard than what gets posted on Forum. But to be honest, this kind of deliberately profane personal insult is stupid and only serves to degrade the level of conversation. Over time, I don't think this kind of thing helps Forum. Would you say that to someone in person?

Obviously, what you have written here isn't just a "swear." It's a vulgar personal insult which easily overshadows the rest of the comment, even in your -- the author's -- mind.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:59 pm

jjoyce wrote:I don't edit comments. I just decide whether they're acceptable or not. That statement made yours not.

That's fine. I wasn't asking you to edit it. I just meant that the rest of my comment wouldn't have weighed into the decision to delete it.

jjoyce wrote:I think comments on stories ought to meet a higher standard than what gets posted on Forum. But to be honest, this kind of deliberately profane personal insult is stupid and only serves to degrade the level of conversation. Over time, I don't think this kind of thing helps Forum.

I can see your argument in the standard for commentary on the Daily side, and will respect your hope that the dialogue there is of a higher caliber than on the Forum or than my previous commentary. But you need to see my side, which you haven't shown in the least throughout this discussion: it's a conversation already brought low by Blaska, and I'm tired of putting lipstick on a pig.

jjoyce wrote:Would you say that to someone in person?

Is that "someone" David Blaska? And did he just finish saying all the offensive, misleading, insulting, and inciting crap he's posted under his "blog" and in comments to other postings?

You're damned right I'd say it to his face.

The situation being what it is, I'll comment no more on Blaska, in response to Blaska, or on the subject of Blaska.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:28 pm

pass the popcorn please.
yes, butter.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:30 pm

pass the popcorn please.
yes, butter.

Butter all the way through or just on top? If it's all the way through I think we can turn this discussion right around.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com