MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 47.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Just finished...

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Just finished...

Postby forwardourmotto » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:44 am

...Advanced Wars: Days of Ruin. I liked it, the plot was interesting enough and there are enough 'training' levels to play around in.

Well what games have others finished lately?
forwardourmotto
Forum Addict

Re: Just finished...

Postby pjbogart » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:33 am

I finally picked up "Tombraider: Underworld" and played straight through it. A few of the levels were excellent, but most of them seemed rather short and the paths were too obvious. They tweaked the graphics with more ambient-type effects but it didn't add much to the game. It seems like the more time spent on textures and graphical eye-candy, the less time they spend on level design. Logically the levels end up significantly shorter as well because the pc's resources and the game company's resources are all spent making fire look better (and often there's way too much of it, too).

"Underworld" had a lot less fighting than "Anniversary" and the frustrating "adrenaline dodge/head shot" was all but removed from the game. In the end "Underworld" was a better than average game with a shload of potential left on the field.

If you haven't played either one, definitely buy "Anniversary" and if you absolutely need a bit more "Underworld" can perhaps scratch that itch.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:25 pm

got the final license in Burnout Paradise for completing every challenge from the first release.

I've completed the arcade mode of Street Fighter IV with about half the fighters now. Seth does not get any friendlier or less annoying as it goes on. I end up just going for an early knock down and then try to keep him in the corner with focus attacks. he has taught me to fight dirty.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:41 pm

I tend to get 3/4 the way through then I get frustrated and quit. The last game I "finished" would have been Mario Galaxy. That one I'm playing through again. I am about 1/5th the way through Twilight Princess, 3/4 the way through Call of Duty 4 and Resistance 1. I have a class B license in Burnout which I love but don't pop in often enough. But I have won the Super Bowl several times over, The world Series, and the Stanley cup. I'm not quite an NCAA Basketball champion although that feat would have been completed if I didn't prefer scouting recruits over actually playing the game. I'm also about to win the Chase for the Nascar Cup or whatever it is they call it now. Hate Nascar love racing games. Who knew?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby uwstudent » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:28 am

The reason Underworld feels short is that it was rushed through for the Holiday (gotta make those xmas sales right?). That's why it also lacked a lot of "extras" for the game. And it was also rumored to be some downloadable content but don't know if that'll happen. (I hope Square Enix buys up Eidos so they can revamp the TR games, lotta potential there.)
uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby Shipley » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:42 pm

Underwold will get the the 2 or 3 levels that were cut and completed after the game was released.

No, they're not free.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby forwardourmotto » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:46 pm

Final Fantasy 4 for the DS (aka Final Fantasy II for the SNES). That game was pretty tough at some points, some of the random battles were harder than the boss battles. Pretty good game though.
forwardourmotto
Forum Addict

Postby uwstudent » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:51 pm

Persona 3. Awesome Japanese RPG.
Prince of Persia on the old black xbox.
uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:55 pm

Just Finished...
Boxing up my PS3 to ship it off to repair the overheating issue I'm experiencing. It's the best thing thats ever happened to my Wii. In fact I'd go as far as to wonder if the Wii didn't secretly do something to the notably reliable Playstation. In un-related news the Xbox 360 failure rate is hovering around 54%. Yes I just slammed Xbox for reliability while my PS3 is in the shop. What are you gonna do about it huh punk?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:44 am

The Xbox 360 failure rate was abyssmal, but the 54% number is just from GameInformer subscribers. It's not a scientific poll.

They attributed a 10% failure rate to the PS3 - a collossal failure if true - which I seriously doubt. 6% for the Wii seems more reasonable, but you have to wonder how a survey of 5000 people can give you accurate numbers for all three. Surely all 5000 weren't owners of all 3 consoles?

I suspect many Wii owners simply pretended to have had a 360 failure in the survey. If they are reading Game Informer, then they actually KNOW about all the good games out there, and they are probably still pissed that there are no good games for the Wii.

Also, everyone I have heard of with a failed console has gotten it replaced for (at most) the cost of shipping, yet the survey lists a 37% satisfaction rate with customer service. Seems like bullshit to me.

Only MS knows the real numbers, and they'll never tell. Although I applaud Game Informer for trying to bait them into it.

It's not like MS is going to counter the story with the real numbers. Better to simply talk about their upcoming release of Facebook and Twitter integration, and the recent feature additions to Netflix.

The real story - as noted by an article I recently read but cannot find now - is that so many people are STILL BUYING THE 360.

It shows they got the games and the media hub part of it right. So NEXT TIME, let's see some reliable hardware too!!! Neither Sony nor Nintendo would be able to compete with that - if they could pull it off (which I doubt).

All three consoles have major drawbacks in this generation in my opinion. Sony screwed the pooch with Blu-Ray and their pricing, Nintendo didn't make an HD console (the biggest headslapper imo), and Microsoft partnered with Nvidia at the wrong time and got nailed on the GPU.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:46 am

Sorry I haven't just finished anything.

I just started playing WoW again... got to re-do all my talent points for all my characters (had not played since 3.0 patch or whichever one reset talents).

And my priest is in a guild now, who donated for me to have 2 sets of talents, so I can swap specializations between both healing and shadow damage!!!

Yay!
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby uwstudent » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:19 am

So should I get a 360? I've been shying away due to the failure rate. But now that there's some decent games to play on the 360 and PS3 I might finally break down.
I'd like a Wii but there's no games to play on it, (dammit Nintendo, give me a reason to buy a Wii).
And the price on the PS3 makes me run screaming from the store (well, not really).
uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby Shipley » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:01 pm

its a toss up between 360 and PS3 at this point honestly. You can get a Pro 360 for $250, or the PS3 for $300 w/ blu ray player.

If you haven't entered this generation yet still, then I don't think it matters because theres more than enough content on both systems to keep you occupied for the next 3 years, without even going in to stuff still yet to come.

Wii has no games? Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Mario Kart, Zelda. thats not a lot of games, but Galaxy and Metroid justify the price of the system in my mind.

As for just finished, I've completed Red Faction Guerilla, Wolfenstein, Beatles Rock Band, and (finally) Call Of Duty 4 since the last time I've been here.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Technology & Video Games