MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 57.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

TDS WiMax

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Re: TDS WiMax

Postby Beer Moon » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:33 am

They're showing $55 for 6MB.

Seems to be priced almost identically to Charter, who charges $65 for 16MB.

Still waiting for a company to release a decent speed grade for under $50 a month.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:52 pm

Shipley wrote:it changes depending on the area you live in. Some in Middleton and Verona can get 10 MB. THey've got a speed test you can call up and give them either your home phone or address to see what the capability is at your location, because it can literally be different every few miles.

Right. In the Telecom areas, the DSL is being upgraded to support speeds above 4 meg, whereas it isn't in the Metrocom areas...

Except a few places. A buddy lives off of High Point Rd (Telecom area), and he could only get 768k. Supposedly a limitation of the equipment there. Not a distance issue, either - I know he was under 10k ft, anyway.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:24 pm

Any new WiMAX users? It doesn't seem as if TDS has expanded the coverage area at all, despite the initial claims that they would.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:59 pm

So much for that idea:

Thank you for checking back on WiMAX expansion. Although our initial intent was to have full coverage around Madison, we no longer plan to expand this service. We appreciate your interest in our WiMAX product. If anything does change, we'll let you know.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Athena » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:44 am

That's too bad. I still have it and I still like it. They must have had more trouble with getting the signal through trees and buildings than they expected.
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby lukpac » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:14 pm

Athena wrote:That's too bad. I still have it and I still like it. They must have had more trouble with getting the signal through trees and buildings than they expected.

That or it wasn't panning out in terms of cost.

All I know is that in the past year and a half my average connection speed for DSL has gone from 2500 kbps or so to around 1800 kbps.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Technology & Video Games