Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 63.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Coffee, what are you drinking?

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Re: Coffee, what are you drinking?

Postby bitcharista » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:30 am

What an insane weekend on the isthmus!

I cannot imagine a better cure this morning than several Americanos of Ancorra's Celebes Toraja roasted on Aug. 28th, brewed on my cheapo home espresso machine.

I like a lot of Ancorra's beans but this origin is by far my favorite.
bitcharista
Forum Addict

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:52 am

This past Summer, almost anywhere but home. Still frequent red-eyes.
Good, not muddy ones, have been enjoyed at:

Cargo - S. Park
Sentry - Hilldale
Borders - University
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bitcharista » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:57 pm

Bwis53 wrote:This past Summer, almost anywhere but home. Still frequent red-eyes.
Good, not muddy ones, have been enjoyed at:

Cargo - S. Park
Sentry - Hilldale
Borders - University

I'm interested.

What do you think makes the red eye "muddy"? Were the barista's shots a little too long? Was it the brewed coffee?

I was drinking iced two shot red eyes (black eyes?) with regular ice, not coffee cubes all summer and can't recall any of them being muddy.
bitcharista
Forum Addict

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:32 pm

By muddy, I mean the offending cup didn't have the nice round, rich and strong flavor. It was slightly acidic, almost too strong and not enough flavor, no chocolatey-slightly sweet flavor and it was pricy!
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby vcolombo » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:36 pm

I've recently come to the conclusion that "Just Coffee" brand coffees are probably the best I have ever had. I have yet to try a particular variety of Just Coffee that I did not think was excellent.
vcolombo

Postby wallrock » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:27 am

vcolombo wrote:I've recently come to the conclusion that "Just Coffee" brand coffees are probably the best I have ever had. I have yet to try a particular variety of Just Coffee that I did not think was excellent.

Me too - Runner's High is the latest I've bought and it's exceptional. I enjoyed well enough the Tanzanian Peaberry I bought two weeks ago, but this one really, really impressed me.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bitcharista » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:24 am

Bwis53 wrote:By muddy, I mean the offending cup didn't have the nice round, rich and strong flavor. It was slightly acidic, almost too strong and not enough flavor, no chocolatey-slightly sweet flavor and it was pricy!

Maybe stale beans? Ya think?

Seriously, a fresh roast rocks. You missed the boat, snooze you lose. Deal with it.
bitcharista
Forum Addict

Postby bitcharista » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:54 am

I've been kinda bored with coffee lately. Tried a four shot Mocha Valencia with whip the other day and hated it.

Lately I've been drinking Chai tea from Rishi. Not that fake powdered stuff, blech. Real Chai with honey and a little bit of half and half.
bitcharista
Forum Addict

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:57 am

This just in: Pontificating coffee snobs just surpassed wine snobs as the most obnoxious, insufferable people on the planet.
Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:43 pm

Uncle_Leaver wrote:This just in: Pontificating coffee snobs just surpassed wine snobs as the most obnoxious, insufferable people on the planet.

You've obviously've never spent any time around craft beer dorks. Consider yourself lucky.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:01 pm

nevermore wrote:
Uncle_Leaver wrote:This just in: Pontificating coffee snobs just surpassed wine snobs as the most obnoxious, insufferable people on the planet.

You've obviously've never spent any time around craft beer dorks. Consider yourself lucky.

That *may* be the case in certain circumstances, but I will say this: The coffee snobs have yet to put on an event as thoroughly satisfying as the Great Taste of the Midwest, and given the nature of the product, I don't think it's possible.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:27 pm

ilikebeans wrote:
nevermore wrote:

That *may* be the case in certain circumstances, but I will say this: The coffee snobs have yet to put on an event as thoroughly satisfying as the Great Taste of the Midwest, and given the nature of the product, I don't think it's possible.

Touché. Maybe that's what they need to do: Create a "Great Roast of the Midwest" event. Start it at 6AM on a Monday morning and make it all-the-coffee-product-you-can-"taste" until 9AM - a big ol' tent full of coffee machines, espresso makers, french presses, etc.

At the very least, you won't need a line of Union Cabs to take everybody away at the end.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:14 pm

nevermore wrote:At the very least, you won't need a line of Union Cabs to take everybody away at the end.

I'm not sure about that. While I know for a fact I don't want to be in a car around a herd of drunks behind the wheel, I'm not sure I would want to be around tweaked-out caffeine addicts either.

:x MUST. GET. HOME. NOW!
*honk honk honk*
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:06 pm

ilikebeans wrote:
nevermore wrote:At the very least, you won't need a line of Union Cabs to take everybody away at the end.

I'm not sure about that. While I know for a fact I don't want to be in a car around a herd of drunks behind the wheel, I'm not sure I would want to be around tweaked-out caffeine addicts either.

:x MUST. GET. HOME. NOW!
*honk honk honk*

Better have all those porta potties lined up though... 8)
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby towanda » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:29 pm

I'm still drinking Trader Joe's Sumatra. It's good stuff.
towanda
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails