MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 2, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 61.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Modem for Charter cable

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Modem for Charter cable

Postby Shorty » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:02 pm

I signed up to get Carter cable installed and they charge $50 for modem installation, or they will send you a self-install kit for free. Those of you with Charter, do you think the average person can install the modem for free? Or do you recommend paying them to do it?
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Modem for Charter cable

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:38 pm

Ideally the self-install wouldn't involve more than plugging the modem into the wall and plugging a network cable into the modem. Worst-case scenario, complications set in and Charter sends a technician. Of course, that would involve more steps and more time than just having the technician come do the install. As with so many things Charter-related, it's a gamble.

When I moved recently I asked the Charter rep on the phone about the DIY install. He purported not to know what I was talking about. So the technician came and I paid for the installation. Fuckin' Charter.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:02 pm

We put our own in. And it was pretty much just plugging it in.

Once we switched to a Motorola modem, anyway. Linksys makes a great router but their modems don't want to play with Charter cable.

That was maybe three or four years ago. Since we've had absolutely no trouble since then, outside of some regional outages, I have absolutely no idea if anything has changed.

We're still thinking about dumping Charter, though. One of these days they'll come up with something that will give us the final excuse.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby beenie » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:09 pm

Shorty wrote:Those of you with Charter, do you think the average person can install the modem for free?

Short answer, yes. Long answer, see Mr. Burns's answer.

Kenneth Burns wrote:When I moved recently I asked the Charter rep on the phone about the DIY install. He purported not to know what I was talking about. So the technician came and I paid for the installation. Fuckin' Charter.

You can't do an internet self-install unless there is already active service on the cable line, at the Expanded Basic level or higher (if there's no service, there's no signal. With regular Basic service - i.e., locals only - the signal isn't strong enough). If you had just moved in, Charter would have had to send a tech to activate at the tap anyway, hence the fee.
beenie
Forum Addict

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:12 pm

beenie wrote:You can't do an internet self-install unless there is already active service on the cable line, at the Expanded Basic level or higher (if there's no service, there's no signal. With regular Basic service - i.e., locals only - the signal isn't strong enough). If you had just moved in, Charter would have had to send a tech to activate at the tap anyway, hence the fee.

The guy did do something outside with a ladder that probably isn't part of the self-install package. Still, fuckin' Charter.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:55 pm

Thanks I will probably pay the $50 for them to install the modem. Calrification: The room I am getting broadband doesn't have a cable outlet, so Charter is charging $50 for the trip charge to come install the outlet. They do the modem install for free since they are coming already. If I already had an outlet in there, they would mail me the modem for a free self install.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eleanori » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:41 am

How to find whether Vodaphone USB wireless Broadband modem Huawei E220 is unlocked or not? I was using Vodaphone USB Broadband modem Huawei E220 in Spain which I want to use in USA. Before approaching the provider I want to know whether this modem is Locked or unlocked.

Return to Technology & Video Games