MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Capitol Heat and Power
Friday, December 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 36.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Dogs leashed to bikes

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Dogs leashed to bikes

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:00 pm

I don't like it and I don't think it's safe. I drove behind a lady and her dog yesterday (because I couldn't safely pass her), the dog seemed uncomfortable and anxious, stuck between running and walking in an awkward speed-walk. What if the dog stumbles? (it happens) Do you just drag it for awhile? If a squirrel shoots across your path, is it possible the dog may veer after it causing you to crash, possibly on top of your dog. In the summer when it's very hot, are you aware that your dog can overheat easily on a long bike-run, and will basically follow you until it collapses?

Walk your dog, ride your bike, but don't bike your dog. Have some common sense.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Dogs leashed to bikes

Postby TAsunder » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:18 pm

Hmm... this rant has made me re-think my position on the guy who has his harnessed dog pull him along while he sits in a bicycle carriage. At least the dog is in control of the vehicle in that case.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flounders » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:24 pm

Yeah, gotta agree with narcoleptish on that. I always give people doing that a wide berth on the bike path, because they're an accident waiting to happen.

Then there was the woman I saw once driving a large minivan on Whitney Way. She was talking on a cellphone and ... had a mid-size dog (lab or something?) sitting in her lap. Yes, in the driver's seat.

I don't care how placid your dog is, lady. You're in control of a two-ton pile of steel rolling down a crowded road at 35 mph. Show a little respect for the lives of your fellow drivers, pedestrians, and bicyclists.

Maybe her vehicle had no airbag and the dog was intended to fulfill that role.
Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MeLurkyLongTime » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:22 am

There is a lady in my neighborhood that walks her dog with her car, she hit it once but the dog turned out to be ok.
MeLurkyLongTime
Forum Addict

Postby Dairylander » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:39 am

Some breeds of dogs like to run for a good half hour.
Most breeds of humans are unable to run for a good half minute.
I biked my dog for a decade. She loved it, I loved it.
Dairylander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lolabrat » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:10 am

So many potential injuries as listed above. Not to mention something jerks the bike and the dog's limb or leash gets caught in the bike spokes. It'll most likely lose its leg and if the leash gets caught the poor dog will be strangled real quickly. Have you ever seen anything like a shoe string get caught in a spoke? The bike violently stops and the person is thrown off the bike. It happened to me before.
It is very dangerous to put a dog in this situation and I wish it was deserving of a ticket by police. The animal is not choosing to do this and it is a terrible accident waiting to happen.
The person who used to ride with his dog all the time is lucky nothing ever happened.
Do not put your dogs in this situation.
lolabrat

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:48 am

Dairylander wrote:Some breeds of dogs like to run for a good half hour.
Most breeds of humans are unable to run for a good half minute.
I biked my dog for a decade. She loved it, I loved it.

I'm realizing that I would have given roughly this same answer ("some dogs are well-behaved enough to handle it and they all need the exercise"), but then realized it's the same answer often given by people who allow their dog to run off-leash in unsecured urban areas (parks, yards, etc). And I'd never support that. So I gotta say no to biking your dog. If they need more exercise than you can handle, take 'em to a fenced dog park and cut 'em loose.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:19 pm

lolabrat wrote:The person who used to ride with his dog all the time is lucky nothing ever happened.

Nope, no luck involved.
Just a well-trained dog and a well-trained cyclist.
You forons love to tell other people how to live their lives.

TheBookPolice wrote:If they need more exercise than you can handle, take 'em to a fenced dog park and cut 'em loose.

The dog park is exactly where we used to bike to.
Dairylander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:47 pm

I see an opportunity here for someone to build a stationary-bicycle-powered dog treadmill. (For times of inclement weather.)
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:51 pm

fennel wrote:I see an opportunity here for someone to build a stationary-bicycle-powered dog treadmill. (For times of inclement weather.)

Make it a sandpaper treadmill, and you've got one buyer. Our pug is a friggin' hellion when we try to clip his nails.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:47 pm

There is a safer way. I have seen a bar that attaches to the bike to keep the dog a safe distance from the wheels and pedals. I would only try this with an obedient dog.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:54 pm

I guess I don't really see a problem with this.
I mean, dogs and their owners can get injured while just out walking or running around the dog park too. What's the difference? Yeah, stay out of heavy traffic (where dogs should never be anyway), but I tend to side with the "dogs love this kinda stuff" crowd (and I'm not a dog owner, so I'm not just saying that to excuse my own behavior.)

Unless there's actual evidence that this is a real danger, I think some are just assuming the worst here. I've never even heard of a dog getting hurt this way. I'm sure it's happened, but dogs get hurt in kitchens too.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lolabrat » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:38 pm

I am sorry sir but you are wrong. Luck was involved. Indeed. You and your dog are lucky that you didn't tip over, that you weren't hit by a car. The list goes on. You are not invincible and it's very childish that you think you are and selfish of you to put your dog in unsafe situations. How cocky you are. Accidents don't happen near you because you have a well behaved dog...You need a wake up call. Maybe you should be tied you your bicylce so that you can't get away when a car hits you. Use your brain. Don't risk your animal's life.
lolabrat

Postby Dairylander » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:20 pm

lolabrat wrote:I am sorry sir but you are wrong. Luck was involved. Indeed.

If something is done over 1,000 times without a single failure, attributing that success rate to "luck" is ridiculous.
Dairylander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MD520 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:33 pm

Dairylander wrote:
lolabrat wrote:The person who used to ride with his dog all the time is lucky nothing ever happened.

Nope, no luck involved.
Just a well-trained dog and a well-trained cyclist.
You forons love to tell other people how to live their lives.

I completely agree. I bike my dog all. the. time. She has never ran after another animal, tried to dart into traffic or lunge at a passerby (w/ or w/o a dog). There is no luck involved because 1) I'm an avid cyclist and an accomplished bike rider, 2) I'm also a responsible dog owner with a very well-trained dog. When we're riding along we obey all traffic laws and acknowledge that cars have the right of way.

TheBookPolice wrote:If they need more exercise than you can handle, take 'em to a fenced dog park and cut 'em loose.

The dog park is exactly where we used to bike to.

To me, Madison, as wonderful of a place it is to live, is the least friendly to dogs. I lived in the PNW for seven years and many of the city parks, beaches, and state trails allowed dogs to run off-leash. And not only allowed dogs, but mountain bikes, too. Actual, sanctioned, mountain bike trails. Oh, and they weren't trashed and eroded because dedicated and responsible people took care of them.
MD520

Next

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking