MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
breese stevens field
Thursday, July 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

The Avenue

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

The Avenue

Postby Goober McTuber » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:48 pm

We hit The Avenue 3 or 4 times a year, never for fish (Wilson’s is way better), often for a steak, or occasionally some other special. Went there last night with the missus.

She ordered the small tenderloin with the potato soup. I tried to order the New York, they were out of that since sometime the day before, I settled for a top sirloin with a salad. We both had hash browns.

Salad was decent enough, wife loved the soup, and the hash browns were quite good, particularly with a side of sour cream.

But the steaks? I never had a bad steak there before. They don’t compare to Smoky’s but that’s reflected in the price and The Avenue is on the East side which is a plus. But we both noticed a strange flavor to the steaks. I asked the server if they were now seasoning their steaks. He said he’d check.

He returned to inform us that yes, they were seasoned with Lawry’s. WTF?!? The only reason you dump that shit on a nice piece of beef is to cover for the fact that it’s not really that nice a piece of beef. They need to send that “chef” back to the freaking Outback and start serving proper steaks again. Damn.
Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Re: The Avenue

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:32 pm

Other than their soups, I have never understood the draw of that place for dining, other than it's east side landmark status. I can't remember anything I've ever eaten there in 4 or 5 visits, which speaks for itself. I like the bar side of the place though, old school supper club cool without meaning to be.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:22 pm

The cheese soup is a winner.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:09 am

It's lunch room food in a lunch room setting. I don't understand it either.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:17 am

I don't understand it either.

Let's make sure to add this to the long long list of topics Ned doesn't understand but feels the need to comment on anyway.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby oranger » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:28 am

I don't understand why I love The Avenue either. I also don't know why I love my dog so much. He barks at nothing in the middle of the night and he rips the trash across the living room if I am ignoring him. Perhaps both feel like home.
oranger
Forum Addict

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:31 am

fisticuffs wrote:
I don't understand it either.

Let's make sure to add this to the long long list of topics Ned doesn't understand but feels the need to comment on anyway.

No, I've eaten there quite a bit. Usually business related when someoen else wants to go. It's like eating Aunt Millie's cooking in Aunt Millie's basement. Not good, not bad. Just food on a plate.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:16 pm

I like the Reuben there well enough, but would not go out of my way to eat there. My friends like the place because the drinks are cheap and it is big enough to accommodate large groups.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:33 pm

The wife & I ate there again last night. It's kind of "our" restaurant - our first "official" date took place there (they had a trio of musicians walking around playing to tables. It was womantic in a Sconnie kind of way). Last night the service was a bit off, in that our wittle waiter wasn't all he could be. It was kind of slow biz-wise, but our main dishes took way longer than usual. We suspect that while he was sitting around blabbing that our food was done and sitting under the heat lamp. My wife's prime rib tasted day-old and tough (though admittedly she ordered it med-well done). My sirloin-a-lot & hashbrowns were fantastic per usual. Not getting great service and my wife being given a sub-par piece of meat (insert joke here) is uncharacteristic for The Ave. We've been there many times and our great experiences far outnumber the bad ones.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:01 pm

Tuesday used to be prime rib special night. Don't know if it is still so, but the leftover prime rib was used to make sandwiches for Wednesday's lunch special. They weren't half bad.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MMMCake » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:59 pm

I'm not a fan of this place for lunch or dinner, but their breakfast is cheap and tastes fine, if you're okay with a small menu of the regular ol' bacon/eggs/toast options. Actually, this reminded me that they once served me an empty jelly package on top of my toast (the cover was pulled back over the top like it was new), which was kind of gross... so check your jelly if you go.
MMMCake

Postby bassbari » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:14 pm

I found the Reuben sandwich one of the best. Unfortunately it only comes with a pickle, fries are extra.
bassbari
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AndyMatts » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:39 am

I ate there twice, but not in the past dozen years. I never found their fish fry to be that exceptional. The kicker was when my ex- took her mother there just after one of our kids was born.

Made a 7 PM reservation, fed the infant just before leaving, and figured they'd be back before he needed another feeding in about three hours. 8:15 PM, even with reservations, they're still not seated. When inquiring with staff, and saying that they had a 7 PM reservation and had a kid that would need feeding soon, the response they got was not an apology, or even sympathy. "I guess you picked the wrong place to eat, then."

They were right about that. My ex- wrote a letter to the owners, to let them know about her experience. They never even acknowledged that she went to the trouble to write. She was very polite in addressing her grievances.

If they're so successful that they feel they can be a-holes to people they are already treating like crap, then they certainly didn't/don't need my business. My son is 12 now. They haven't seen the inside of that place since, nor will I ever.
AndyMatts

That's how they're livin' on THE AVE

Postby Marvell » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:30 am

"...do me a favor
When yer rollin' with the crew
You better check out check out
The Avenue"

- Run DMC, "The Avenue"
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby garosenb » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:29 pm

As much as we have tried, The Avenue has let us down three separate times due either to poor food, beer or service. I will agree with a previous poster that they do breakfast right.

I recall ordering liver and onions one night and found it extremely dry. On the same visit, I was served a skunky beer and the waitress was resistant to replace it. Other occasions have yielded sub par food and an all-too-often bad attitude from the staff. We will not return.
garosenb

Next

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews