MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, July 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 75.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Since when is Best Buy a guitar store

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Re: Since when is Best Buy a guitar store

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:04 pm

My favorite Monster experience is from back in my Music Go Round days. Guy comes in to sell us his beginner bass setup. $100 cheapo Yamaha bass, 15 Watt Crate practice amp and a $40 6 foot Monster bass cable. He was very upset we wouldn't pay him anything for the cable.

(Ward Brodt gave him the awesome deal on the cable originally)
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Nate535 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:14 pm

I used to work in the industry and at one point monster cables were breaking so often nationwide that we didn't have any on the shelves to sell to give to customers who came in with broken cables. As soon as any came in they were immediately pulled off the shelve for clients who had broken ones. There is nothing worse than selling someone a $40 cable on the premise that there is a no hassle replacement policy and then not being able to hold up to your end because Monster sucks at making cables.
Nate535
Forum Addict

Postby HeyZeus » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:29 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:Wow. That might explain why on Monday the Best Buy cashier looked disappointed verging on terrified when I declined an extended warranty after her long impassioned speech about it. Too bad, but those things are a ripoff.

Well, my experience working there was over 10 years ago. And the asst. manager in question is long gone.

I might consider getting the extended warranty on a big flat panel tv or a car stereo, but that's about it.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:09 am

Do they offer the extended warranty on bass strings?
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:53 am

Do they offer the extended warranty on bass strings?

Only on left handed bass strings since they cost slightly more to replace.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:04 pm

Word to the wise: Best Buy and similar stores make huge profits off cables, which are probably marked up more than anything else in the store. They figure (usually correctly) that someone that just dropped a load on a new home theater system will be in a good mood and not mind an extra few hundred dollars to hook it together.

Don't go for it. Resist the temptation of immediate satisfaction, and get your cables online, like at monoprice.com.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:19 pm

Don't go for it. Resist the temptation of immediate satisfaction, and get your cables online, like at monoprice.com.

Or buy cheaper cables locally. You can. It's not just electronics and its not just Best Buy accessories ALWAYS have higher profit margins. Actually pretty much anything less expensive will have a higher margin than something more expensive.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:47 pm

fisticuffs wrote:

Or buy cheaper cables locally. You can. It's not just electronics and its not just Best Buy accessories ALWAYS have higher profit margins. Actually pretty much anything less expensive will have a higher margin than something more expensive.

So, where can I go to get cheap cables locally? I don't need guitar ones as much as AV ones. I usually buy online due to price, but if there is a local goldmine, lemme know.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:49 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Or buy cheaper cables locally.

Recommendations? Not just for cables; I'd be interested in local places that retail similar stock as Best Buy, but with knowledgeable staff at hopefully reasonable prices and decent hours.

Full Compass comes to mind, but they don't have a storefront for last-minute purchases, do they?
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:11 pm

Full Compass had a sales counter at their last building. I have only purchased things from Full Compass in person.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:13 pm

There's a good deal of consumer electronics at Full Compass but its not a storefront like Best Buy. You can walk in the door and talk to a knowledgeable person and walk out with a product. For your cable needs FC should be the first stop.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:20 pm

If I need something in a pinch, like a guitar cable, I go to Full Compass. Their catalog is online, prices are very competitive, have most items in stock, and they will beat any price nationwide unlike BB and GC who only pricematch locally.
Yes the have a walk up counter at their new location.
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Nick Berigan » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:15 pm

I just bought a keyboard from FullCompass for more than $200 less than I could find anywhere else. I called to see what the deal was, found a quote in my inbox minutes later, drove out on my lunch hour and picked up a Nord Electro.

I can't think of anything more convenient than that.
Nick Berigan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:05 am

Nick Berigan wrote:picked up a Nord Electro.

nice choice.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Madison Music