MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 61.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Save a tree, kill the Shopper Stopper!

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Re: Save a tree, kill the Shopper Stopper!

Postby anyportinastorm » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:49 pm

I called the number and cancelled the shopper stopper which seemed to have helped with the USPS delivery...this morning our street and surrounding neighborhood was littered with the plastic bag method of distribution---that has to be some kind of ordinance vioation in this city
anyportinastorm
Forum Addict

Postby Dairylander » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:51 am

Does anyone remember the old "Sunshine" publication? It was the same type of unsolicited mass advertising that arrived on one's driveway in a plastic bag.
It was my first job. Every Wednesday I rode around on my bike and threw hundreds of them for a hefty pay of $10 a month.
I remember the "older kid" in my neighborhood was also a delivery boy, except he would just find a back alley or public park and dump his entire route's worth of papers. He was just being deviant, little did he know what a public service he was providing; saving each individual homeowner from having to take the same step in disposal of that trash.
Dairylander
Forum Addict

Postby niffermc » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:49 am

I called and asked them to stop sending it to me. So now, instead of seeing it in my mail box, it is thrown on my front steps in a plastic bag. I called them again today. It is rediculous that this stupid paper keeps coming and coming and coming......
niffermc

Postby Average Joe » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:10 pm

My wife and I live in a downtown condo, so we don't have a porch for anyone to throw garbage on and we rent a post office box that only accepts mail addressed to us so I have never received these "Shopper Stoppers" but I have seen them littering the neighborhood. What people need to do is get the police department to fine MNI for littering for each shopper that is thrown on a porch without the owner/tenant requesting it. That would stop the shopper real quick and give the city a much need temporary financial boost.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:59 pm

Since leafletting is legal - First Amendment and all that - I doubt if placing literature on one's doorstep could result in a fine. Dumping the Shopper Stopper at the end of one's driveway might be another matter.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:47 pm

It's not actually a newspaper. It's ballast for our biweekly delivery of dog-poo pickup bags.

I've been going around the block picking up bagged Shopper Stoppers on public property a day or two after they're thrown (to give the intended recipients a chance to take them inside if they want to). I bring them home, put the papers in my recycling, and save the nice little small-dog-poo sized bags for my dog's two-a-day poops.

I've been thanked by several people who apparently believe I am just picking up litter to be nice, but from my point of view I'm scavenging plastic bags for a purpose.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:51 pm

I love the Shopper Stopper. The ads are good for alerting me to deals I might not know about otherwise. I receive the publication in the mail, but it sometimes arrives a few days after advertised specials go on sale. I suspect that's why they went back to doorstep/driveway delivery in some neighborhoods.

Most Americans are poor shoppers. They generally don't know what things cost, and they end up paying about double for most items because they are too lazy to read, and too prone to buying on impulse or because they need some item now. Plan your shopping around ads and you can cut costs in half. The time it took you to gripe on the Forum could have been used to search the ads for a good deal,
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:01 pm

It helps you find offers on things you didn't even know you needed!
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:25 pm

It amazes me that, even with bottom-of-the-food-chain shoppers like Donald (who, in fact, is so low he cannot duck)*, people often don't pick up on the obvious: If something is paying money to have it's business advertized on legalized litter, there's an above average chance that said litter will not offer value to those obligated to dispose of said litter.

* See Mickey ® @ Disney ®.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:38 pm

fennel wrote:It amazes me that, even with bottom-of-the-food-chain shoppers like Donald (who, in fact, is so low he cannot duck)*, people often don't pick up on the obvious: If something is paying money to have it's business advertized on legalized litter, there's an above average chance that said litter will not offer value to those obligated to dispose of said litter.

* See Mickey ® @ Disney ®.

See above for an example of an ignorant American who seems to find nothing wrong with businesses who take advantage of him.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:47 pm

fennel wrote:It amazes me that, even with bottom-of-the-food-chain shoppers like Donald (who, in fact, is so low he cannot duck)

You had to go for a personal attack? Really?

There are plenty among us that use flyers and coupons to maximize their spending dollar. Kudos to them! Wish I had the patience to do the same, but because I don't, I usually shop around in-store specials.

It seems, however, that the Stopper has crossed the line of major obnoxiousness that most other flyers manage to avoid. I'm happy I took the initiative to call and have my address removed from their list about two years ago.

snoqueen: Awesome idea!
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:10 am

Okay folks, this is rich.
Like many of you, the damn thing started reappearing on my driveway in a plastic bag. I called Madison Newspapers and the nice guy in customer service explained that they had switched from USPS mailings to their own carrier service, and that everyone must call in again to be taken off the separate carrier list as well.

So here's their info (again):
Madison Newspapers Customer Service:
252-6363 then press 5.
Dairylander
Forum Addict

Postby tomr » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:51 pm

I called them. My entire neighborhood is trashed with these things all over the streets, parkways, and a driveway aprons. Looks like generic littering to me, and if I see it happen again, I'm calling the cops. May sound trivial, but it looks like hell.
tomr

Postby Shorty » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:04 pm

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juno60 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:25 pm

Glad to see so many other people are calling to get off the list. How it is legal is just beyond me - I hope we can put a stop to this.
juno60

PreviousNext

Return to Catch All