MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 69.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Good Chinese food?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Re: Good Chinese food?

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:45 pm

ilikebeans wrote:While it's a Japanese restaurant, the name Sushi and Hibachi doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Anyone been there?

Not yet, no.

"What's the Soup Du Jour?"

"It's the soup of the day."

"That sounds good, I'll have that."

I'm no more enthused by the horribly-named replacement for Tumbleweed on the east side, "Oysy Sushi and Seafood Buffet." Especially not with the hand-painted "sign."
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:00 pm

I just can't find any good Kyrgaraghhhht like they made back home on Klingon. An observation that I will use to support my premise that Earthers are rubes.

Also their spaceships are fit to be hauled away as garbage.
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby altcountryman » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:50 pm

supaunknown wrote:The place next to Jacobson's is terrible. The good place is next to the used junk store at the corner of Aberg.

I really like Great China (next to Jacobsons's), but I also like QQ on Aberg...

The place at Hilldale is excellent too. And I like Imperial Garden on East Wash.

Haven't tried China Wok on Fordem, but I'll have to give it a shot based on some of the posts here.
altcountryman

Postby AndyMatts » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:54 am

The options seem to be less and less as time goes on.

I liked Red Pepper when they were on the east side. They closed down, but re-opened a few years later, next to the Nitty Gritty on the west side.

Imperial Palace/China Palace was on the corner of Sherman and Aberg. They were AWESOME with an award winning chef and authentic Schezwan menu (hundred of items) in addition to an Americanized menu. The chef got stolen away by a restaurant in Chicago, they closed down, and now there's a QQ buffet there. I think that's the "Fordem" one that's a buffet now reference from before.

Imperial Gardens on the East side is probably the best/most reliable one for me. I like Hong Kong Cafe way back when they were fairly new, but about ten years ago I ordered the Kung Pao chicken and the sauce was almost 100% hoisin sauce. That's crap, and I haven't eaten there since.

Wah Kee is also good.
AndyMatts

Postby Ryanwiz » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:08 am

Another vote for Jade Garden.
Ryanwiz

Postby JstFcts » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:44 am

wa-kee noodle house is by far the best chinese food in madison! they have machine(s) from china to make their own "authentic" noodles.
-no msg
JstFcts

Postby radtek » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:57 pm

I struggle with finding what I think is good Chinese food.

If you want cheap and quick, I like China Inn on Cottage Grove Road. The crab rangoons are good. It's sad, but I base my enjoyment on whether or not the place has good crab rangoon. I can't eat "Chinese" food without them.

Lau Laan-Xaang has a variety of Asian dishes and I've not had a bad meal there yet. Their crab rangoon are fantastic.

A place that does not have great crab rangoon, but does have good food is P.F.Chang. It is overpriced, but they have really good food there.

I've tried QQ Buffet and was not impressed. I hate Waste of Asia, er I mean TASTE of Asia on E. Washington.

At work we order from Oriental Wok on Park St. for lunch. They do a good job. The lunch specials are perfect portions plus you get an eggroll!
radtek

Postby juanton » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:51 am

Screw you Taste China on Monona Dr.

You're the South Beloit of Chinese takeout.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:43 pm

radtek wrote:I hate Waste of Asia, er I mean TASTE of Asia on E. Washington.

TOA is DOA. There's a sign on the door about something coming soon, I don't remember exactly what, except that it is also Asian.

I went to TOA semi-regularly just out of proximity. The lady who ran the joint with her husband was real nice. It's not a great location, set back in that mini-mall, the traffic going by on E. Wash doesn't see it easily.

I hope the new joint is better and more successful.
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Goober McTuber » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:28 am

Went to P.F. Chang once. Very mediocre food. Blech.
Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Postby naybobber » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:42 pm

If you want good Chinese, then go to where Chinese people eat - that will not be at the buffet places or many of those crappy strip mall joints that all have the same menu. On the other hand, if you go into Wah Kee, you will often see a majority of the patrons are Chinese. I think their food is excellent, not only their noodle dishes which are good, but much of the other stuff I've had is not the slop at so many other places.
naybobber

Postby shyguy » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:25 pm

I have always thought of East Side Imperial Garden as the best in town (altho we really liked the old Red Pepper).

At work we order deliver mostly from Jade Garden and Hong Kong Cafe (House of Lu!!), altho there are plenty of things from each place I'm not all that fond of.

We have hosted Chinese interns at work over the last few years, from Shanghai, and our friends a couple years ago said Yen Ching on Midvale was "the most authentic" in town and they enjoyed it. We went there and they "negotiated" with the house to get us some special stuff served family style and it was great. I've been there other times and it was also very good.

Our current interns took us to Fugu this past week, said it was their favorite restaurant in town. I thought it was very good. We Americans ordered the lunch "combo" and there was plenty of food - egg roll, lettuce salad with a ginger salad, grapes and fresh pineapple chunks, and the "main dish" (I had sichuan beef, very tasty, tender, lots of good veggies too). The interns ordered hot and sour seafood soup for all of us - basically your garden variety hot and sour soup, but with scallops, shrimp, and fish in it. Wonderful. Then they ordered three dishes for us to pass family style - a sweet and sour fried fish (really nice), a beef dish that I didn't get the name of, served room temperature (I assume that was on purpose) and very good. And Pork Intestines - yes, listed like that on the menu. An acquired taste, we all thought. The texture was, ummm, kind of intestine-like, you know?

So, I really recommend Fugu and Imperial Garden and Yen Chiang.
shyguy

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:03 pm

What was Taste of Asia, in that mini-mall on E. Wash across from Ella's deli, is now Brother's Wok.

Rather than a buffet, it is now a walk-up-to-the-counter type of Chinese Restaurant.

I ordered Empress Chicken. It was hot, fresh, the sauce was good and you sure get a heapin' helpin' for $7 - in a paper carton, with a styrofoam plate on a cafeteria tray.

Good? - depends on how you view a budget-oriented type of venue such as this.
Better than those ones inside the big malls.

No other customers were in there - I hope they can pick up and stay open.
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:39 am

Ruby has the best egg foo yong dishes in town (it's the gravy). And good rangoons. Very nice service-wise too.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bassbari » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:00 pm

Nam's Noodle on Regent has a wonderful Chinese as well as SE Asian menu. My favorite is the Nam's Fried Rice. They use that aromatic Chinese sausage in it and put a fried egg on top. Yummy. Good pot stickers, egg rolls and spring rolls.

Also the new one on Fair Oaks is excellent.
bassbari
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Cooking & Food issues