MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, July 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Brushes With Greatness

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Re: Brushes With Greatness

Postby bitcharista » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:04 pm

supaunknown wrote:Greatness, right? Got Adam Rich's (from Eight is Enough) autograph at a car show.

I'm probably the only one here who knows who that is. I hung out with him at a small hotel in Orlando back in 5th grade. We played a lot of pinball.
bitcharista
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:09 pm

As a kid, I went to a Catholic grade school that had a sports fundraiser. Terry Brennan, former Notre Dame football coach, was a member of our parish. He coached Paul Hornung during his Heisman Trophy year, so he got Hornung and Bart Starr to speak at the fundraiser banquet. My dad took me and I got both their autographs (and also Dennis Menke's of the Braves). This occured during Hornung's suspension from the NFL for gambling. When asked if Pete Rozelle would reinstate him and Alex Karras, Hornung said he'd give three to five odds on it.

I saw Nixon while in the Navy. I flew into the Naples Naval Air Station on our ship's helicopter and we had to land opposite the terminal, because Air Force One just arrived. I got a picture of Tricky Dick and his wife Pat exiting the plane.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:14 pm

Working at a golf course back home they had a celebrity tourney every year. One year I shared small talk with Ray Nitschke. Another year my sister (who worked in the pro shop) introduced me to Brett Hull who was being very chummy with her to get with one of her friends.

Picture taken with G.E. Smith after my band opened for his at a festival in OH.

Hung out with the last original member of Canned Heat. Later passed him a joint onstage while he was playing drums during their show (Atwood Summerfest a few years ago).

Shared small talk with Tommy Chong after a comedy show on State St. while he signed a friend's poster. Asked him if he wanted to smoke one, but was denied.

Did smoke up a couple times many years ago at Harvest Fest in Madison with Jack Herer. My buddy's sack of skunk passed Jack's smell test.

My band played Mike McCarthy's wedding reception a couple years ago. Not only getting pics and small talk with Mike, was in the presence of many Packer organization big-wigs and coaches. The GM of the Hall of Fame sat in on drums for a tune and I remember Edger Bennett giving us a thumbs up on the music.

Bob Weir's longtime roadie came up to me and introduced himself after he saw our set at Summerfest 2007. Of course giving him a business card or CD were about the last things on my mind at the time.

And finally sat a couple tables away from Mike Gordon at Dohbon a couple weeks ago when he was playing at the Barrymore. Later said "good show" to him as he stopped into Mr. Roberts afterwards.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:19 pm

I went to school in Nashville with the children of prominent Music City stars: Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, Barbara Mandrell. Also William Lee "Mountain Man" Golden from the Oak Ridge Boys. Then there was the autoharp-playing granddaughter of Grandpa Jones. Probably others I'm forgetting. I think I met all of these famous people at one point or another, and Irlene Mandrell. Great, strange memories.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Right Bower » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:30 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:I went to school in Nashville with the children of prominent Music City stars: Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, Barbara Mandrell. Also William Lee "Mountain Man" Golden from the Oak Ridge Boys. Then there was the autoharp-playing granddaughter of Grandpa Jones. Probably others I'm forgetting. I think I met all of these famous people at one point or another, and Irlene Mandrell. Great, strange memories.

Shooter Jennings?
Right Bower
Forum Addict

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:47 pm

Right Bower wrote:
Kenneth Burns wrote:I went to school in Nashville with the children of prominent Music City stars: Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, Barbara Mandrell. Also William Lee "Mountain Man" Golden from the Oak Ridge Boys. Then there was the autoharp-playing granddaughter of Grandpa Jones. Probably others I'm forgetting. I think I met all of these famous people at one point or another, and Irlene Mandrell. Great, strange memories.

Shooter Jennings?

I took piano lessons from the same teacher as Shooter. Sometimes Waylon and Jessi would be waiting in their car outside Mrs. Graves' house. So my dad says anyway; I don't really remember this.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Right Bower » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:07 pm

I forgot about seeing Julia Roberts skiing at Taos. My brother and I tried to weasel our way onto the quadlift with her and her male ski buddy, but we were kinda pushed out of the way by a couple of other guys who seemed to know Julia.

She is/was a terrible skier.

We were able to get a picture which she was none too happy about.
Right Bower
Forum Addict

Postby Thusnelda » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:14 pm

Several years ago my dad and I were waiting for a friend in a DC hotel lobby when Dick Gregory walked by.

"Go on! Say hi to him!" said my dad, nudging me forward. "Tell him your favorite drink at Loose Juice is named after him!"

I couldn't do it. I'm all about the Adele.
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:28 pm

Greatness:
Shook Ken Norton's hand at a boxing card at Dejope.
Served Fuzzy Thurston a few drinks.

Pretty goodness:
Went to school with Jerry Kelly.
Did a few sets of lat pulldowns with Cory Everson.
Served drinks to Hacksaw Jim Duggan. Nice guy.

Strictly celebrity:
Attended a party that was also attended by Zakk Wylde and some members of Korn.
Served drinks to pauley shore. Schmuck doesn't deserve capital letters.
Served drinks to antonio freeman. Bigger schmuck than shore.

One degree from greatness:
My dad helped to physically haul Otis Redding out of the water.
My corner man for one of my fights was Mike Tyson's 19th pro opponent.

Brush with Bush:
As I stood at the Roosevelt Memorial looking out over the water towards the White House, the three helicopters roared over my head very low. The first veered off to the right, the second landed at the White House, and the third also veered off. Pretty cool even though I didn't like the passenger.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:37 pm

Dude, I totally took a piss at the same bank of urinals as Pauly Shore in LA in 2000. Saw L7 walking down the street on that same trip. Saw Rachel Dratch in NYC during her early SNL days, also saw Buster Poindexter/David Johansen shopping on the same visit.

These are all pretty lame.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bassbari » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:40 pm

Some, not so proud of now.

1964 Nelson and Happy Rockefeller in Oregon, IL when he was running for President. Got his autograph and sold it on eBay for a few bucks.

1980 Barry Goldwater at a book signing in Phoenix, when I worked for department store.

Same year, same store, Nancy Reagan, during her book signing of "Nancy" before Ronnie got elected. I got her coffee. I remember her dark brown eyes. She was actually very nice.
bassbari
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:00 pm

I guess the one I still remember most: Jane Fonda and Tom Hayden, 1972. It was an anti-war thing and she was holding a piece of glass with wires coming out of it. Both were about the same height and she has such beautiful blue eyes. I appreciate how gracious they were, when I talked to them about my beloved's long trail to get Alternative Service status.

Oh, and many years later, I ran into my favorite DJ, Dick Biondi. Back in the day, he was with WLS Chicago. He helped liven up my teen years, in a dull little town. He grinned and squeezed my hand, when I recounted running to the Appliance store-Record shop to grab a Silver Dollar Survey!
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bassbari » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:15 pm

Bwis53 wrote:Oh, and many years later, I ran into my favorite DJ, Dick Biondi. Back in the day, he was with WLS Chicago. He helped liven up my teen years, in a dull little town. He grinned and squeezed my hand, when I recounted running to the Appliance store-Record shop to grab a Silver Dollar Survey!

Wasn't he fired for making the statement on the air: "The skirts are getting so high, that girls will be brushing their hair in two places"? Yow!
bassbari
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:33 pm

If autographs count, I've got Fighting Bob LaFollette's. My grandfather worked on his campaigns and LaFollette gave him a signed and number copy of his autobiography. I inherited it from my grandpa.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:28 pm

In 1987 or 8,I don't recall exactly, I saw Bo Diddley walking down the sidewalk early in the morning on Cedar Ave in Minneapolis as I was going to work at this crappy pharmacy. As I passed him, I said, "Hey, Bo" and he replied, "Hey". Cooler than dry ice, in a good way.

In 1996, I met Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash backstage at a show when the restaurant I worked at catered a 2 night back to back set of performances. June said they loved my wife's banana creme pie and asked for the recipe. Without question, the nicest people EVER.

Last night in full uniform, I waved to J. Mascis through the window of Ian's Pizza on State St. He waved back. Thumbs up, J.
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Catch All