MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, November 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 29.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Brushes With Greatness

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Re: Brushes With Greatness

Postby MeLurkyLongTime » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:37 am

butters wrote:On the same day, i met Mr. Green Jeans at the farmer's market ...

I thought I saw Mr. Green Jeans as a child, probably around 4 years old, at the Green Bay airport. Mom reports that I saw a man in green pants, thought it was Mr. Green Jeans and latched onto his leg, turns out the guy was a very large black man and my mom had to try and explain who I thought he was. Who knows the guy could have been a Packer!
MeLurkyLongTime
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:54 am

I've seen a bunch of famous people in airports throughout the years. Bob Hope, Pete Rose, Richie Havens, and Kareem Abdul Jabbar, among others. I even asked Jabbar for his autograph, but he politely declinded.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:07 am

I've managed to live my life without really meeting anyone of note, with the exception of the Thompson brothers. I shook Tommy's hand when I got my Eagle, and I ran into Ed on Mound Street on a Game Day when he was making his run for governor and I was running late for kick-off. I told him he had my vote, but that was a lie and I'm not sure why I said that - probably to be polite.

I've also talked with Paddy from D4 after a few shows, and recommended that he head to the Dise after one of their 770 shows.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:33 am

A friend got me a job as stagehand for a series of Grateful Dead concert in Alpine Valley in the mid 80's. On the last day just before show time I was getting ready to climb up the ladder and work a spot, and Jerry walked up to me and said "Seen Bob?"

I said "Yeah he's in there."

And I swear to god, he smiled and looked me right in the eye and said:
"Thanks."

And then he left.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:19 am

rabble wrote:A friend got me a job as stagehand for a series of Grateful Dead concert in Alpine Valley in the mid 80's. On the last day just before show time I was getting ready to climb up the ladder and work a spot, and Jerry walked up to me and said "Seen Bob?"

I said "Yeah he's in there."

And I swear to god, he smiled and looked me right in the eye and said:
"Thanks."

And then he left.

You could charge admission telling that story to young hippie kids.

Here's one for the Cheap Trick fans I just remembered:

A former band I was in rented a practice space in the Vondra Engraving bldg off of Greenway Cross a good 10 years ago. They had a bigger room they rented out to touring bands. One saturday we heard something about a bigger band being in there. Sure enough I passed Rick Neilson in the hall and then heard them belting out some old hits. Then later out back during a break we saw this cargo van come whipping around the corner into the parking lot. It had rained earlier and the van fishtailed a bit and clipped one of the big cargo trucks parked in the lot. Robin Zander gets out of the van and everyone around started clapping and giving him shit for driving like a maniac. Quite memorable for me as they were one of my favorite groups growing up.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sgrmac » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:39 am

While living in Atlanta, GA in 1996 we walking into the private residence entrance of the Jimmy Carter Library (by mistake) and met Jimmy and Roseland Carter and had a very nice (however brief - security) conversation.
Cooked dinner for David Lynch, Senator Kohl and other 'local celebs'
(Pasta Per Tutti - early 90's)
Shook John Madden's hand and got autograph when he was checking into the Concourse - Governers Club (Packer Pre-Season game against Denver on Monday Night Football - Camp Randall)
Cooked dinner for Matthew Sweet (Lombardi's Cucina, Seattle WA - 1993)
Janine Turner (who played Maggie O'Connell on Northern Exposure) was a regular coffee-clutcher from my drive up coffee bar in Lake Forest Part - northern Seattle - 1993.
I won't even get into the fact that my awesome and beautiful wife manages to get herself and sometimes me backstage at almost every sweet concert we go to - The Nevilles, King Yellowman, WideSpread, the Radiators, the list goes on and on - we even gave a birthday cake to Burning Spear when turned 50 at the old R&R Station - whew. Honestly, if you are not acting like a freakshow, and understand that "people are people" you can find yourself in the company of greatness...
Sgrmac

Postby Nick Berigan » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:45 pm

Arlo Guthrie on the south rim of the Grand Canyon.
Bill Clinton (as I was dragged out of a union hall in Point for yelling "what about nafta?")
and best of all, Howie Olson on his cartoon show along with 20 other 5-year-olds.
Nick Berigan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jtmehrin » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:04 pm

Saw Charlie Shortino at Red Shed after a badger game last year.

Played high school basketball with Tony Romo (he was a soph, when I was a senior).

Walked right by Jeff Tweedy and family at a festival in Chicago a few years back. I even had a wilco poster in my hand, but decided to leave him be.
jtmehrin

Postby rrnate » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:27 pm

Other than various touring ska bands, I got nothin'.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:51 pm

Someone I know was working the front desk at a hotel in minneapolis. A lot of NFL people were checking in. As they tell it, this guy walks up and just says "Bradshaw". She carefully checked the list and then said, "I'm sorry Mr. Shaw but there's no reservation for you".

I like that one.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby chainsawcurtis » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:54 pm

I've had a bunch of brushes because, a long time ago, I worked security at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center in upstate NY. Not going to drop a lot of names (Liberace was a nice guy with a great wardrobe) but this guy was referenced in another thread...

I think it was 1971 and Bobby Sherman's back-up band was also the opening act. A five piece - guitar, bass, drums, sax, and Hammond organ - doing all Stax/Volt and Motown covers for about forty-five minutes. They were outstanding. They took a break and I looked out to the crowd from behind the curtain stage right. It's a Saturday afternoon show for about three thousand teenage girls with some parents. You could smell the hormones. The band gets back up and vamping and the MC is preparing the crowd for the star. Bobby stood behind the curtain. He's about five foot five in a white jump suit, a Beatle-like mop top and shaking. He knows what's coming.

He bends over. Vomits profusely into a trash can behind the curtain. "Ladies and gentlemen - BOBBY SHERMAN!!!"

He runs out and does about forty minutes - "Julie, Julie, Julie, Do You Love Me?" The band is great. He's good. The girls are screaming and squishy.
chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby chance » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:49 pm

Years ago I was in Nashville, looking to buy a guitar at Tut Taylor’s shop, but had only an out-of-town check, which they didn't want. The friend I was visiting there was playing guitar in Dickie Lee’s band, so we went over to his office and Dickie signed on the check as security for me. Back at Tut’s shop, they took it without batting an eye.

Recently, I ended up in a documentary film that was narrated by Liam Neeson -- I never met him, but in the film’s narration he talks about me. Hearing the Jedi knight speak my name: priceless.
chance
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:31 pm

Just remembered two more. A few years before Katrina hit NOLA, I saw Bernie Mack and his entourage walking near the river during the annual French Quarter Festival.

In the late 70s I got a ride while hitchhiking from Lee Sherman Drefyus, shortly before his successful run for governor. He wore his trademark red vest. Quite a personable individual.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peacetrain » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:53 pm

jtmehrin wrote:Saw Charlie Shortino at Red Shed after a badger game last year.

Played high school basketball with Tony Romo (he was a soph, when I was a senior).

Walked right by Jeff Tweedy and family at a festival in Chicago a few years back. I even had a wilco poster in my hand, but decided to leave him be.

Coached against Tony Romo.
Peacetrain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby towanda » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:18 pm

Went to a New Year's Eve party also attended by Jeff Daniels.
towanda
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Catch All