MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
pax
Sunday, September 14, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 57.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

OYSY Sushi and Seafood Buffet

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

OYSY Sushi and Seafood Buffet

Postby masima123 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:14 pm

Recently opened in the former East side Tumbleweed, this restaurant offers gourmet Japanese cuisine ranging from freshly prepared sushi, sushumi, salmon, crawfish, squid, beef and pork spare ribs, large dessert and fresh fruit selection, amongst many other things. The daytime manager, Eric, took leisure in showing me around the restaurant and explaining what exactly everything was. Apparently the food selection changes on a daily basis decided by the head chef of the establishment, although many favorites remain a mainstay. I highly recommend asking someone to guide you through the buffet if you are unfamiliar with Japanese food, especially when it comes to "how to" eat it. The service was friendly, courteous, and seemingly instant. Though it may be a bit pricey (11 for Lunch, 22 for dinner), this is definitely a refreshing change in the usual mid-western cuisines that are popular. Try it, they have something for all taste buds!
masima123

Re: OYSY Sushi and Seafood Buffet

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:38 pm

At the risk of seeming the usual DPF Dubious Greeter, you do seem to have only one post so far (to say nothing of misspelling 'sashimi'). Could you say something about how the food tastes, perhaps?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:51 pm

I want to try it. Although the phrase, "seafood buffet" scares me.

Ok the sign is pretty scary too.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Slick Willy » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:06 am

masima123 wrote:Recently opened in the former East side Tumbleweed, this restaurant offers gourmet Japanese cuisine ranging from freshly prepared sushi, sushumi, salmon, crawfish, squid, beef and pork spare ribs, large dessert and fresh fruit selection, amongst many other things. The daytime manager, Eric, took leisure in showing me around the restaurant and explaining what exactly everything was. Apparently the food selection changes on a daily basis decided by the head chef of the establishment, although many favorites remain a mainstay. I highly recommend asking someone to guide you through the buffet if you are unfamiliar with Japanese food, especially when it comes to "how to" eat it. The service was friendly, courteous, and seemingly instant. Though it may be a bit pricey (11 for Lunch, 22 for dinner), this is definitely a refreshing change in the usual mid-western cuisines that are popular. Try it, they have something for all taste buds!

So, are you an employee, manager or the owner? Sorry, but your advertisement is too obvious. If you were someone who had just eaten there, you likely would have told us what you tried, and not only what's available. Also, if you'd been going out to eat in Madison much at all, you'd know that there are plenty of restaurants here that don't serve typical Midwestern cuisine and even a few that serve good Japanese fare. That's not to say that your food might not be okay, but it's not cool to be deceptive.
Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Sushimi Ruse?

Postby kulgar » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:23 pm

So we assume the incorrect spelling of "sashimi" was a ruse? Or an employee who doesn't know the cuisine very well? Gosh, I'd hope a manager or owner would. Anyone know the ownership?
kulgar
Forum Addict

Postby juice » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:56 pm

I don't know much about this place, and I must say some of your judgements based off one post seemed hurried. Oh well. What I wanted to say was, while I was working in my downtown restaurant this Tuesday, our fish purveyor was talking about delivering a stupidly huge amount of fish to their place. This alone makes me wary of the establishment, although I hadn't really felt the urge to leave downtown for sushi in the first place.
juice

Marketing intern

Postby kulgar » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:06 pm

I went back and reread and I must say it does read like "marketing speak" with a Japanese or Asian twist. The incorrect spelling is one thing, but the two grammatical oddities also indicate a lack of English skills. And it does read like a marketing intern wrote it.
kulgar
Forum Addict

Postby lancebug » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:13 pm

We ate there tonight. Didn't know what to expect. Sushi and Sashimi were both very fresh and delicious. Being native to the coast, I have never been a big fan of most of the sushi in Madison and have never found the downtown establishments to be very special. We ate a ridiculous amount of fresh fish tonight, which more that accounted for the price. If they can keep the quality up, then they will do very well. If you want fresh sushi on the cheap, try going to the Oriental Shop on Park street on "truck day" and roll your own at home.
lancebug

Postby prenticeberge » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:27 pm

Pricing for Children? I have a 7 and 3 year old, but don't think its worth it to drop that much for dinner for the little ones.
prenticeberge

Postby ALittleToTheRight » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:18 am

Will be going here for lunch today with some gals from work...sounds exciting, as long as I can eat $12 worth while I'm there!

**Update--lunch was really good--well worth the price! I didn't care for all of the rolls that I tried, but that's just my personal taste. The sushi was all freshly prepared--there were two or three chefs preparing it the entire time we were there. Also had a good selection of other items besides raw fish. Highly recommended!**
ALittleToTheRight

Postby jrmeiller » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:08 pm

Just went to OYSY seafood and buffet with a friend and my 2 sons. Food was sub par. Sushi was pretty good, but not much for overall selection of cooked hot foods. Price to eat is OUTRAGEOUS! My ten year old cost $15 to eat and my 8 year old cost $12 (and they didnt eat that much in food to justify the cost). Wife recently recieved an advertisent from OYSY stating kids cost 60 cents per year, NOT TRUE. Not including the costs of drinks for them. Over $80 for 2 adults and 2 kids. Could have gone to red lobster and spent half the cost. I wont return again for the cost to eat is way too high.
jrmeiller

Postby meszafra » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:07 pm

I ate there last weekend with a friend. I've never experienced worse service in my life! The waitress was completely clueless and should not be working in customer service especially in a restaurant setting. When we asked her to tell us more about the buffet-she simply replied "it's exactly what you see-4 buffet stands and the sushi is against the wall"...yup, she was very informative!
The price was $21.99 which was not posted anywhere and the waitress only informed us of the price when we were halfway through our dinner. The food was awful- very bad quality. Everything tasted pretty much the same, almost made me think they cook everything in the same oil. It was also extremely greasy. The sushi was okay-nothing special. Tasted more like store-bought sushi, definitely not restaurant quality. I recommend you skip this place and go to Takumi-they have amazing sushi and you will get a much better meal even if you spend $21.99! Oysy is way overpriced and I can't imagine this restaurant surviving for more than 6 months in this economy.
meszafra

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:23 pm

Not sure how to feel about you deleting your post and repeating it almost verbatim under a different name.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meszafra » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:57 am

to "book police": I deleted the first post because I wanted to clearly summarize my experience and felt the first post didn't do that. Why don't you go to Oysy and try the food for yourself and let us know what you think of it, I am curious to find out.
I wouldn't waste my time writing a review unless I felt strongly about the poor service and the horrible food I ate there. My experience at Oysy made me really appreciate good customer service and the quality restaurants that I've been to in the past.
meszafra

Postby kathrynjaneway98 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:21 am

I went there this past weekend, I thought it was delicious. I have had better sushi elsewhere, but for a buffet this was pretty wonderful, and they had a lot of different varieties of rolls, they had an awesome shrimp tempura roll and the spicy hamachi roll was also very good. The shrimp tempura on it's own was also very good, very light and crispy, the only thing that would have made that better would be some tempura sauce. The mussels in black bean sauce were delicious as were the scallops, they weren't rubbery at all. Their crab legs were also the some of the best I've had at a buffet restaurant, they had flavor rather than tasting very water logged and soggy. It was expensive, my husband and I wouldn't eat there all the time, but it would be a nice treat once and a while, I know that I for sure got my money's worth eating there with all the seafood and sushi I consumed. I however will not stop going to places like Takara or Edo for sushi either though. The service was fine, we got our drinks refilled and they took our plates away, after a little bit of explaining we were able to get a small bowl of plain white rice, but I never expect too much from an asian buffet restaurant for service either.
kathrynjaneway98

Next

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews