MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Best Buy's Geek Squad is a joke

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Re: Best Buy's Geek Squad is a joke

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:47 pm

As for my Geek Squad saga.... I'm still waiting for the computer to be returned. I found out through a co-worker's husband that when I turned it in on the 3rd, they waited until the 8th to even send it out. After finally getting fed up by the 15th, I went into the store to find out they wrote down my phone number wrong. Then on the 17th I told them to just send it back and keep my deposit. I called today and they can't provide tracking information yet.
It would be one thing if I was passive through this whole process, but I've actually complained several times in person and on the phone. Like most companies of this size, no one takes any ownership. On my last call, I basically told them if I didn't hear anything by Friday I was going to go into the store and lose my shit(as far as I can go without being arrested). Beyond that, I'm thinking I'll make up flyers to hand out to people on Saturday heading into the store if they continue to fuck with me. Its really the feeling of being fucked with without any recourse that is driving me to start acting crazy (I am aware standing outside stores protesting is odd, but fuck it).

As I'm clouded with anger, I'd appreciate if someone would let me know I overreacting. If nothing else, do yourself a favor and make a mental note to avoid the Geek Squad at all costs.
drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict

Postby HeyZeus » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:16 pm

The Geek Squad is supposed to inspect every returned piece of equipment to determine whether or not it can return to the floor.

DO NOT buy any of Best Buy's products that have the Open Box/Inspected tape on it. It is open box, but is rarely inspected.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:52 am

drinkinblackcoffee wrote:As I'm clouded with anger, I'd appreciate if someone would let me know I overreacting. If nothing else, do yourself a favor and make a mental note to avoid the Geek Squad at all costs.

I'd be pissed too. But before you get arrested, you might want to file a complaint with these guys: http://www.datcp.state.wi.us/core/consu ... ection.jsp
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Athena » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:56 am

The best piece of advice that I can give, is that if your computer is still under warranty you can bypass the geek squad completely and call the manufacturer directly to have it fixed. We took my husband's computer to best buy twice to get fixed and neither time did it actually get fixed. Then we called Gateway, they sent us a new hard drive, the new one didn't work, we sent the computer to them, it finally got fixed and sent back to us. The Gateway people had a much better idea of what the problem was than the Best Buy people who were hesitant to even do anything since it might be a 'software problem'.
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:30 am

Very good point. This is why it's good to pay attention to the manufacturer warranty conditions when you're buying a new PC. I've bought computers with on-site warranty service and been very glad I did. (Beware the 90-day warranty.)
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:30 am

drinkinblackcoffee wrote:She is a good woman. I don't think she understands how long of a process picking out a bass can be. We should talk off-line more about this- I could use some advice (Chips is talking about driving into town Saturday as well...). You have my number still?

I'd love to help you spend your wife's money. And I'd love to see Chips if he's really showing up. It's been, like, forever.

I probably have your number stashed somewhere, but the house is total freakin' chaos since offspring #2 showed up and my wife switched school districts. We're in the book though. You should call me if I don't ring you up first. Seriously.
Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:30 pm

Athena wrote:The best piece of advice that I can give, is that if your computer is still under warranty you can bypass the geek squad completely and call the manufacturer directly to have it fixed.

Um....I'm pretty sure that pouring Kool-Aid on your computer negates the warranty.
Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:40 pm

Bland wrote:Um....I'm pretty sure that pouring Kool-Aid on your computer negates the warranty.

OH YEAH!!!!
Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ALittleToTheRight » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:13 am

drinkinblackcoffee wrote:Any recommendation on where to get a computer fixed for real?

Your computer is probably fixed by now (or you just got a new one), but my vote is for Milwaukee PC, over by Rocky's on East Wash.

In hindsight, it's probably best keep the KoolAid away from any expensive electronics in the future!
ALittleToTheRight

Postby KidCapitol » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:49 am

Dairylander wrote:blackcoffee- If you'd have gotten the dog's tail docked when it was a puppy, this never would have happened.

Cruelty to animals is never a solution. NEVER.
KidCapitol
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:27 pm

We know a couple of people who have worked for Geek Squad, both female, both did house calls.

One still works for them from time to time. The other one got fed up with on-site calls to single men with sticky keys and creepy pickup lines and scenes similar to minute four of this video.

The tales they tell give insight into why GS probably has a fairly high turnover and the final result would be sort of hit and miss. Both are responsible, technically savvy people and both say those two traits aren't rewarded as well as fast throughput.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:23 pm

I have found most of the computer sales people and techies at BEst Buy to be very knowledgable and helpful. The problem is with that "most" part. Once in a while you get somebody who is faking it.

My experience with small computer shops has been excellent. That's the way to go for most people. Best Buy is for professionals with good BS detectors.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Technology & Video Games