MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, September 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 51.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Bike path crime is back

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Bike path crime is back

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:30 pm

Two incidents lately:

http://www.cityofmadison.com/incidentRe ... m?id=10465

http://www.cityofmadison.com/incidentRe ... m?id=10489

Are we in for another bunch like a few years ago? Back then I walked the bike path a few nights with a pipe in my coat, to no avail. I'm a less reckless person now but it's still tempting. I think the police do a good job around here but this kind of shit is so random that catching them is unlikely. I know they caught the last ones but not before multiple robberies and everyone was scared to walk at night. I don't want to see it get that far again. This is a great neighborhood and this kind of shit just can't keep happening. I won't be brandishing any weapons this time around but I'm not going to be scared of walking around either. I'll have my leather gloves on.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Bike path crime is back

Postby MeLurkyLongTime » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:39 am

I don't get why people still walk the bike path at night like that. We should be able to walk in our neighborhood and be safe, but is not worth it to risk your safety on the path to prove a point. Stay off the path at night people, especially if you are a female.
MeLurkyLongTime
Forum Addict

Postby Crockett » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:33 am

How hard is it to send out a couple plain clothes cops at night to walk around the trouble areas?

I've never understood why a handful of meek looking plain clothes cops are not walking around these areas.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:35 am

Doesn't seem all that random to me. The two incidents both happened near the same spot on the path late at night.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:30 am

I'm amazed there's not more of it. We stuck around downtown a few weeks ago and ended up riding home on the Southwest path in pitch darkness. Not my smartest moment, maybe.

It was creepy. And because you're down in that rail bed, it would be hard to evade someone if they wanted to take you down. Bikers are pretty vulnerable and, depending on the bike, pretty attractive targets. There really ought to be blue light call boxes like they installed on campus or something similar.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:45 am

jjoyce wrote: There really ought to be blue light call boxes like they installed on campus or something similar.

I hope somebody picks up on that suggestion. I'm hesitant to suggest this, because I have mixed feelings about it. Perhaps a few strategically placed cameras would serve as a deterrent, and failing that might help catch a criminal or two. I don't know how well they'd work in the dark, and I'm not crazy about the level of surveillance in our society. But people ought to be able to use the damn bike paths without fearing for their safety!
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:51 pm

Crockett wrote:How hard is it to send out a couple plain clothes cops at night to walk around the trouble areas?

I've never understood why a handful of meek looking plain clothes cops are not walking around these areas.

Similar locations aside, I still say it's too random to just have cops walking up and down the path for hours. If these guys watch at all they're going to pick up on the same people walking back and forth. Like I said, the last time this happened I went out a couple times trying to bait em and nothing happened. Same with graffiti "artists". I tried staking out a friend's often hit building more than once...never even saw anything suspicious. I don't know what the answer is.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:29 pm

Remember, the only socially acceptable vigilantes are wealthy bachelors with their own caves and bizzare animal-mascot themed outfits, cars and jet-boats.

"I AM NARCO-MORPH!! POW!!"
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bitcharista » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:32 pm

Bike path crime incident #1 victim is a good friend of mine. He wasn't trying to prove a point, he was just trying to get home.
bitcharista
Forum Addict

Postby Walter » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:10 pm

Several years ago when people were getting jacked on the bike path, I was one of the many assigned to do directed patrol on the paths. We also had people in plain clothes out too.

We didn't catch anybody. As I remember, one of the group of 4 or 5 juveniles doing the robberies shot his mouth off to someone and were turned in.

There aren't that many cops out at night in this town. 28 officers for the whole city from 11PM until 6AM. Of that number, 9 are Central, mostly based around State Street/Campus area. East has 4, South has 4, West has 6, and North has 5.

Next year in January under the new shift plan, after 4 AM it will go down to 16 for the entire city until the dayshift starts.
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MeLurkyLongTime » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:29 am

bitcharista wrote:Bike path crime incident #1 victim is a good friend of mine. He wasn't trying to prove a point, he was just trying to get home.

Not sayin' those victims were trying to prove anything but it sounds like narco wants to go out there and whack someone. Narco be careful you never know what the other dude might have on him or how many others are lurking nearby.
MeLurkyLongTime
Forum Addict

Postby bekee » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:09 pm

guess i'm biking down atwood from now on.
bekee

Postby snarkmonster » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:25 pm

a neighbor of mine (female) runs alone on the bike path all the time around 5pm-- is that time of day even safe now?

Are these crimes only late at night?
snarkmonster

Postby bitcharista » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:07 am

I think the solution is simple.

Ban all pedestrian traffic on the bike paths.
bitcharista
Forum Addict

Postby narcoleptish » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:38 am

MeLurkyLongTime wrote: it sounds like narco wants to go out there and whack someone. Narco be careful you never know what the other dude might have on him or how many others are lurking nearby.

But I WAnt to be Narco-Morph! Just as soon as I get that jet boat..

But really, I'd love to whack one of these guys. However, like I said, I'm a less reckless person these days and I knew even then that carrying a weapon was silly because as soon as you drop it in the scuffle, it becomes their weapon. I was just caught up in the moment. I'm also probably not going out walking just to look for trouble anymore, but if I'm out walking and trouble finds me...... If someone shows me a gun, well yeah then fine, here's my wallet, but if someone just tries to throw a punch at me they're gonna be in a fight. For the gun situation I'm trying to come up with a booby trapped wallet. Something along the lines of a small detonation, enough to knock em down and blind them for a few moments. Of course you have to be very aware of which wallet it is and not pull out the wrong one at Woodman's, because that could cause a scene.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Town Vibe