MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 35.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

New Library Bar

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:19 pm

I'm pretty sure Paisan's was the Library.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Maxine » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:21 pm

massimo wrote:
There was a bar called The Library down at U of Illinois when I was there, although not part of that chain you link. I can't tell you how much fun it was to say to my roommates "I'm going to the library" and really have it mean "I'm going to get drunk at a bar." A nicely placed wink didn't hurt, either!

Aw, geez. I hope that's not the reason there's a gay bar called "The Sanctuary" a block away from the Divinity School at Regent University.
Maxine
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:27 pm

narcoleptish wrote:I'm pretty sure Paisan's was the Library.

So my first guess was right? Maybe we need to vote on it.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:42 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
jjoyce wrote:I also fondly remember the BT, where you could drink as an 18-year old freshman, but you had to put up with substantial verbal abuse from the guy who ran the place.

Joe Clementi, who owned the bar with his brother Tony. Joe was an asshole and a racist too. When an Asian and a black student walked in together, the first thing Joe said: "What is this, the United Nations?"

He kept a Louisville Slugger behind the bar, for "crowd control."

My impression was that was just Joe's schtick - he was an asshole to everybody that walked in but he'd sit and talk to you for hours. That bar was his own little stage.

I got served as an 18 year old freshman too - the last year it was legal I think.
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:11 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:

It's true. I think the opening article in Madison.com said so also. Every time my office goes there, someone mentions that. Plus, I went to the Library when it was called that.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:22 am

Bwis53 wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:

It's true. I think the opening article in Madison.com said so also. Every time my office goes there, someone mentions that. Plus, I went to the Library when it was called that.

It was also a Greek restaurant called Olivia?
Octavia? I can't remember.
But it was good.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bassbari » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:49 pm

jjoyce wrote:I saw some work going on inside the Palace Latin Club a few weeks ago, but haven't seen anything since.

I heard that it is part of DoIT. Sorry
bassbari
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dstol62 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:00 pm

131 Wilson St. briefly had a restaurant called "Cleopatra's". Back in the early 90's, it was a live jazz venue called "The Lake Monona Pub".

Henry Vilas wrote:
Ducatista wrote:I think the former Wilson Street Grill site on Wilson & Hamilton housed a bar called the Library, but that was quite a while ago... 15 or 20 years, maybe?

I think you're right.

So what used to be in the new Paisan's?
dstol62
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:54 pm

blunt wrote:
Bwis53 wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:

It was also a Greek restaurant called Olivia?
Octavia? I can't remember.
But it was good.

Oh: Cleopatra's!
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:14 am

The Library has opened. The biggest difference is the new fireplace (plug-in kind), couch, and a few comfy chairs. Good luck to the new owners.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Re: New Library Bar

Postby svicous22 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:13 am

To the weak little PC whiney POS who called Joe Clementi an Asshole, he was one of the finest people I met while attending school there. He was also a WWII vet who served under Patton. And Tony was his cokehead son, get your facts straight. It's people like you who give Madison it's bad rep for whiney little PC pukes. I hope Joe's ghost shoves that bat up your Ass.
svicous22

Postby fennel » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:26 am

Point of Service? Ouch!
(To say nothing of referring to the poor soul as a Windows clone. Harsh.)
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:25 am

svicous22 wrote:To the weak little PC whiney POS who called Joe Clementi an Asshole, he was one of the finest people I met while attending school there. He was also a WWII vet who served under Patton. And Tony was his cokehead son, get your facts straight. It's people like you who give Madison it's bad rep for whiney little PC pukes. I hope Joe's ghost shoves that bat up your Ass.

Thanks for taking the high road and setting the record straight.
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:33 am

svicous22 wrote:To the weak little PC whiney POS who called Joe Clementi an Asshole, he was one of the finest people I met while attending school there. He was also a WWII vet who served under Patton. And Tony was his cokehead son, get your facts straight. It's people like you who give Madison it's bad rep for whiney little PC pukes. I hope Joe's ghost shoves that bat up your Ass.

His son was John, who tended bar at the BT. Mark, another bartender (but not a Clementi), later managed the Red Shed and then opened a Cajun restaurant on Monroe. BTW, I am that "weak little PC whiney POS" and I'm a veteran too.

And Joe was still an asshole.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby roadkill bill » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:46 pm

What is most amusing is that this new Foron felt the need to sign on TWO YEARS after the original discussion to a former bar owner that most people on this board never met. (Is he still alive?)

The Library seems to be doing a nice job in a previously cursed location. They got it right by offering all day service and a pleasant atmosphere in an area of campus with almost no other choices. With Union South gone, the Library seems to be the only place to go for coffee, a sandwich, and a place to have a conversation with a friend or colleague.

Monroe St is a long way to walk from central campus when the weather sucks or your schedule is tight.
roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails