MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Light Snow
Collapse Photo Bar

Satisfaction Jackson

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Re: Satisfaction Jackson

Postby Drinkslinger » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:17 am

As a blue collar bartender, the price is right for me (to drink). You have to know the value of hops and the quality of beer. I can have 5 cans of Lite with my old man and feel buzzed or 2 bottles of AA and feel...pleasent.

Customers that order Grey Goose never ask the price, they simply order it. For $14.99 you can also get a case of Busch light Draft (or Blue Smoothies as they're called in my place), so it's just on how you spend you $.

Personally, I'd think about killing a man for a lifetime supply of Mercy, but thats just me...
Drinkslinger

Postby wallrock » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:02 am

I picked up the last sixer of this at Neil's in Fitchburg last night, and it was worth every penny. In fact, a couple of these really had me in a nice mellow place, a world where the Packers' O-Line woes didn't bother me nearly as much as usual.

I was a big convert to Ballistic, and in comparison the Ballistic was more assertive with the citrus hoppiness. The Jackson is really balanced, very smooth and in no way overpowering like other big IPAs (I'm looking at you, Ruination). I'll definitely be having this one again, and though it's a bit early to say, this is a contender for favorite IPA.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:22 pm

wallrock wrote:I was a big convert to Ballistic, and in comparison the Ballistic was more assertive with the citrus hoppiness. The Jackson is really balanced, very smooth and in no way overpowering like other big IPAs (I'm looking at you, Ruination). I'll definitely be having this one again, and though it's a bit early to say, this is a contender for favorite IPA.

I couldn't agree with you more.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:56 pm

On the off-chance that it makes any difference to anyone, this morning I picked up a sixer of Jacksin for $13.49 at Woodman's West. So I guess where you shop for liquor makes a difference.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:55 am

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Goober McTuber » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:34 am

It wasn't at Woodman's east on Thursday, I picked up a sixer at Ale Asylum on Friday for $14.99. When it hits Woodman's east, I will buy a case. Minimum.
Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Postby acereraser » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:17 pm

I liked it just fine. I was pleased how drinkable it was; many of the IPAs at that price are too macho to really quaff, as if the brewer had to justify the price.

However, I still prefer Bell's Two Hearted, even without considering the price difference.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:20 pm

Tried a pint at the Alchemy last week. It's very good, no doubt, but worth more than double the store price of, say, Sierra Nevada? Nah.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:41 pm

I happen to go by Steve's on Junction Road last week, so I stopped in and bought a sixer for fifteen bucks and change. It was very good. Reminded me of Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale, only more expensive.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:41 pm

I bought a case. The first 3 I drank were very disappointing; however, as I do with most stronger bottled beers, I put 3 sixers away in the wine cellar, so I can revisit them in 6 months, a year, 2 years etc. In all likelihood, it will be rounder by then. I'd agree that this stuff "pales" in comparison to Bell's Two Hearted but, then again, Ale Asylum pales in comparison to Bells in general.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:00 pm

I find it interesting as a hoppy beer that it's not so much grapefruity or evergreeny as it is orangey, but without seeming too much like a witbier. Can't say for certain that it tastes like $15, but knowing what I do about the production, I don't necessarily contest that it's worth $15.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bill6beers » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:58 pm

The Malt House just picked up 3 half barrels. It's on draft now and will be for a couple weeks, probably.
bill6beers

Postby gargantua » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:23 am

david cohen wrote: I'd agree that this stuff "pales" in comparison to Bell's Two Hearted but, then again, Ale Asylum pales in comparison to Bells in general.

Seriously? Satisfaction Jacksin, a double IPA, "pales in comparison" to Bell's Two Hearted, which is NOT a double IPA?

I would not presume to quibble with your preferences, but I will quibble with an inapt comparison. A better comparison would be Satisfaction and Bells Hopslam.....which, by the way, sets you back $2 more per sixpack at Woodmans West. I like them both. I personally prefer the Satisfaction, lower price aside, because I prefer the citrus/bitterness balance of the Satisfaction (a bit more citrus) and overall crisper cleaner taste. But those are just my own taste buds. The point is to compare beers of the same style to each other when comparisons are made.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Goober McTuber » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:20 pm

gargantua wrote:
david cohen wrote: I'd agree that this stuff "pales" in comparison to Bell's Two Hearted but, then again, Ale Asylum pales in comparison to Bells in general.

Seriously? Satisfaction Jacksin, a double IPA, "pales in comparison" to Bell's Two Hearted, which is NOT a double IPA?

I would not presume to quibble with your preferences, but I will quibble with an inapt comparison. A better comparison would be Satisfaction and Bells Hopslam.....which, by the way, sets you back $2 more per sixpack at Woodmans West. I like them both. I personally prefer the Satisfaction, lower price aside, because I prefer the citrus/bitterness balance of the Satisfaction (a bit more citrus) and overall crisper cleaner taste. But those are just my own taste buds. The point is to compare beers of the same style to each other when comparisons are made.

Totally agree. Except that I thought Hopslam was the best beer I ever tasted. The honey really seemed to mute any bitterness in what was a very hoppy beer. I bought 6 or 7 6-packs while it was around. The Jacksin is a close second for me.

I love Bell’s Two-Hearted. It might be hard to argue that the Jacksin is $5 per sixer better, but it is better and it’s local.

BTW, Three Floyds Alpha King has reappeared at Woodman’s after a lengthy absence. That’s also an exceptional Pale Ale, and Sierra Nevada’s Celebration Ale should show up soon as well.
Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Postby rrnate » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:55 pm

Just wanted to add that this beer has really grown on me. I now find it very...satisfying.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails