MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, December 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 17.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Horror Movie Recommendations For October/Halloween

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Re: Horror Movie Recommendations For October/Halloween

Postby AaronTheSnob » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:08 am

We just watched one this weekend which was, without a doubt, the most intensely horrifying and edge-of-your-seat movie I have ever seen...so disturbing as to give you nightmares...seriously:

"Eden Lake"

Netflix has it.
AaronTheSnob
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 542
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:37 am

Re: Horror Movie Recommendations For October/Halloween

Postby Zloduska » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:42 am

I agree, Trick Or Treat was a nice surprise and is good.

Aw man, I was going to say that I highly recommend Dead Girl and Paranormal Activity. The former can be seen as a more thought-provoking horror movie about the relationship between the characters if you dig a little deeper, it's not just exploitive violence, and the latter I thought was an awesome spooky film that expertly builds suspsense, and I thought the actors seemed very natural and believable.

I have to mention that this past weekend my boyfriend and I went to the Flyway Film Festival in tiny Stockholm, WI, and it was amazing. Besides a bunch of incredible foreign and domestic indie films, on Saturday they had a special "International Zombie Summit"- 12 hours of independent zombie movies from all over the world, featuring:

Redneck Zombies- A Troma classic, and the director was in attendence the entire weekend, and Perry is an awesome guy.

Zombie Girl- A documentary about a precocious 12 year old girl that makes her own feature zombie movie that she wrote and directed, with help from her friends and parents. It was amusing and interesting.

Colin- Despite the hype, thought it sucked, or was disappointing over all. This indie zombie POV movie from Wales/UK dragged on way too long.

Pontypool- A suspenseful thriller from Canada, the directory Jeffery was there for the weekend and was also a great guy. Not really a zombie movie but really good.

Dead Snow- A very fun zombie flick from Norway about a bunch of haughty med students on a ski trip that awaken an army of Nazi zombies from WWII, totally reminds me of my favorite horror flicks from the 80's!

Two other horror-related films deserve special mention:

Living Arrangements- A horror comedy about a vegan couple that discovers a hungry werewolf living in the attic of their duplex, and the lengths they are willing to go to deal with their problem. It was really funny and we enjoyed the quirky film. Best line ever- "Linda was just telling me about how she nursed a badger back to health using her own breast milk." Guess you have to see it for yourself.

INK-- Far and away the best film of the festival, it was really incredible. It's a dark fantasy film, hard to describe, but kind of sci-fi, but overall it's awesome, and the director was a great guy and really flattered we loved his film. My boyfriend said it's "A beautiful tale about a man who lets his life get away from him and the journey he takes to get it back. Imagine if someone who grew up watching 'The Dark Crystal', 'Labyrinth', or 'The Never Ending Story', made a movie for other people who grew up watching those movies." It will be released on DVD next week. It's a must-see!

http://www.doubleedgefilms.com/
Last edited by Zloduska on Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zloduska
Senior Member
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: Horror Movie Recommendations For October/Halloween

Postby rrnate » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:49 am

* Strange Behavior - I watched this via Netflix a little while ago and it's pretty great. It was written by Bill Condon (director of "Kinsey" and "Dream Girls") in the early '80's. It starts off as a seemingly straightforward '80's teen/slasher movie but then gets increasingly weird and comes off like early Cronenberg. Pretty awesome.

* Trick R Treat - I was pretty excited to watch this and ended up thinking it was just OK, not really all that scary, though it definitely had it's moments.

* From Beyond - Stuart Gordon movie that he made just a little after Reanimator - it was re-released as a "director's cut" and I think it's actually way better than Reanimator (which I also like a lot). Definitely disturbing.

* Drag Me To Hell - has anyone mentioned this one yet? Sam Raimi gets back to his roots and it's pretty cool.

* Altered - from one of the directors of "Blair Witch Project". Not in the handheld style at all - this is a creepy alien movie that I thought was surprisingly scary and good.

* Deadgirl - I thought this was lame, though it has been getting good reviews.

* Pieces - relatively recently came out on DVD again. Nice cheapo Italian horror w/ all sorts of WTF moments.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3668
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2002 6:33 pm
Location: Madison's Corporate Underbelly

Re: Horror Movie Recommendations For October/Halloween

Postby Star1999 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:17 pm

There is a british flick called "Severance" that I thought was the best horror/black comedy I've seen in a while.

A japanese film called "Suicide Club" is also very disturbing, although I don't know if you can call it horror. (Don't get the edited version)

American horror films suck, the soundtrack ruins them now. There have been some great Korean horror releases in the past couple of years. Gotta go foreign for horror.
Star1999
Member
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:15 pm

Re: Horror Movie Recommendations For October/Halloween

Postby feh23 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:23 pm

Ils (Them) 2006 - french/romanian
This is one of the tensest and most terrifying films I've seen in a long time. Really sparse in the plot department, but it's a short film and once the action gets going, it does not let up. Few special effects, mostly just great camera work, lighting and sound to build an atmosphere of utter unknowing terror.

I don't know where my friend got it, probably the library, Four Star or Bongo.
feh23
Senior Member
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:04 pm

Re: Horror Movie Recommendations For October/Halloween

Postby Zloduska » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:28 pm

From Beyond is one of those movies I keep meaning to watch but never get around to it, just like Reanimator was. Speaking of Stuart Gordon, since Stuck was my main pick last year, I'd have to say the best older film I've seen this year is Re-animator, and it couldn't have been under better circumstances. Stuart was our main guest at the Madison Horror Film Festival, and it was awesome to watch it in a run-down movie theater with him in attendance, on an original film print (the second ever made, actually) plus having a Q&A session afterwards. He was extremely engaging, interesting, and a great storyteller; I really can't say enough good things about Stuart.

Furthemore, he was extremely gracious and professional in spite of the fact he was basically stiffed a good portion of his appearance fee by the irresponsible festival creator/director (who we are no longer talking to or working with.) In a nutshell, although the film festival turned out relatively well, it could have been much better if not for the mistakes and deceitfulness of that man. We were so excited to host the scream queens Elske McCain, Debbie Rochon and Scarlett Salem, but at literally the last minute we had to cancel since he never bothered to book the plane flights and inform them of travel arrangements and even had the nerve to asks some guests to pay their own way. So there was no 'Women of Horror' panel as planned, and besides Bill Rebane, who also never got reimbursed for his expenses, we only had Stuart who more than made up for it with his awesome presence both days, and then basically got ripped off. On top of that, the movie theater never got paid at all, and Cory Udler, the director of Incest Death Squad never got dime for his successful movie premiere. So after all this money disappeared into thin air, much like the alcoholic "director" kept disappearing throughout and early every night of the festival to go drink, we demanded these people be paid as agreed and asked about finances and his response was to say it was "of no concern" to us and to hide, not answer his phone and avoid all his debtors and everyone who had helped out and invested so much of their own time, money and effort for *no pay* in the past year to make the festival happen. To hell with him, and hopefully we can host more fabulous directors and actors in the future for our own events. Sorry, had to get that out finally. </venting>
Zloduska
Senior Member
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: Horror Movie Recommendations For October/Halloween

Postby rrnate » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:06 pm

Zloduska wrote:From Beyond is one of those movies I keep meaning to watch but never get around to it, just like Reanimator was. Speaking of Stuart Gordon, since Stuck was my main pick last year, I'd have to say the best older film I've seen this year is Re-animator, and it couldn't have been under better circumstances. Stuart was our main guest at the Madison Horror Film Festival, and it was awesome to watch it in a run-down movie theater with him in attendance, on an original film print (the second ever made, actually) plus having a Q&A session afterwards. He was extremely engaging, interesting, and a great storyteller; I really can't say enough good things about Stuart.

Furthemore, he was extremely gracious and professional in spite of the fact he was basically stiffed a good portion of his appearance fee by the irresponsible festival creator/director (who we are no longer talking to or working with.) In a nutshell, although the film festival turned out relatively well, it could have been much better if not for the mistakes and deceitfulness of that man. We were so excited to host the scream queens Elske McCain, Debbie Rochon and Scarlett Salem, but at literally the last minute we had to cancel since he never bothered to book the plane flights and inform them of travel arrangements and even had the nerve to asks some guests to pay their own way. So there was no 'Women of Horror' panel as planned, and besides Bill Rebane, who also never got reimbursed for his expenses, we only had Stuart who more than made up for it with his awesome presence both days, and then basically got ripped off. On top of that, the movie theater never got paid at all, and Cory Udler, the director of Incest Death Squad never got dime for his successful movie premiere. So after all this money disappeared into thin air, much like the alcoholic "director" kept disappearing throughout and early every night of the festival to go drink, we demanded these people be paid as agreed and asked about finances and his response was to say it was "of no concern" to us and to hide, not answer his phone and avoid all his debtors and everyone who had helped out and invested so much of their own time, money and effort for *no pay* in the past year to make the festival happen. To hell with him, and hopefully we can host more fabulous directors and actors in the future for our own events. Sorry, had to get that out finally. </venting>


Heh, yeah, that's what I heard too.

That being said, you really should check out "From Beyond" - people should be talking about it the same way they talk about Reanimator. (I believe the original version that was released theatrically was fairly heavily cut by a producer or studio or some such thing, but the version you can get now on DVD is just all sorts of awesome.)
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3668
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2002 6:33 pm
Location: Madison's Corporate Underbelly

Re: Horror Movie Recommendations For October/Halloween

Postby MadMind75 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:50 am

rrnate wrote:* Strange Behavior - I watched this via Netflix a little while ago and it's pretty great. It was written by Bill Condon (director of "Kinsey" and "Dream Girls") in the early '80's. It starts off as a seemingly straightforward '80's teen/slasher movie but then gets increasingly weird and comes off like early Cronenberg. Pretty awesome.

* Trick R Treat - I was pretty excited to watch this and ended up thinking it was just OK, not really all that scary, though it definitely had it's moments.

Yeah, I'll have to check out Trick 'R Treat. I've always liked horror anthologies (Creepshow I & II, Tales From The Darkside: The Movie, Twilight Zone: The Movie, and Stephen King's Cat's Eye).
Has anyone seen Creepshow III? I hear it's really bad.

As for Strange Behavior, I haven't seen it but am interested. Tangerine Dream did the score for Strange Behavior, though it's one of many films they've scored which never received an official soundtrack release.
MadMind75
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 386
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:19 pm

Re: Horror Movie Recommendations For October/Halloween

Postby crevice beatle » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:02 pm

The Serpent and the Rainbow
crevice beatle
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 345
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:40 am

Re: Horror Movie Recommendations For October/Halloween

Postby rrnate » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:18 pm

MadMind75 wrote:As for Strange Behavior, I haven't seen it but am interested. Tangerine Dream did the score for Strange Behavior, though it's one of many films they've scored which never received an official soundtrack release.


Yeah, the score and the cinematography really make the movie a lot better than it should be.

While I'm thinking about it, did anyone see "Mother of Tears", the Dario Argento movie that was supposed to round out the "Suspiria/Inferno" trilogy. Ugh, was it ever awful. I figured w/ the supernatural stuff, Udo Kier and Asia Argento, it would at least be fun, but it had something that Dario Argento has never been good at - a plot. The man does not understand plotting but for this one seems to all of the sudden think that people like Suspiria because of it's gripping and well laid out plot.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3668
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2002 6:33 pm
Location: Madison's Corporate Underbelly

Re: Horror Movie Recommendations For October/Halloween

Postby Zloduska » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:31 pm

MadMind75 wrote:Yeah, I'll have to check out Trick 'R Treat. I've always liked horror anthologies (Creepshow I & II, Tales From The Darkside: The Movie, Twilight Zone: The Movie, and Stephen King's Cat's Eye).
Has anyone seen Creepshow III? I hear it's really bad.


Creepshow 3 is literally the worst moment ever made. You should stab yourself in the eyeballs with a rusty screwdriver rather than see this movie. The last short features a man who is haunted by the ghost of a homeless man who choked to death on a hotdog and keeps appearing, and that is the 'scary' theme.

RRNATE: It turns out we have From Beyond on DVD and will see it ASAP. My boyfriend chided me that he tried to get me to watch it before but I wasn't in the mood; but I didn't even realize what it was. It will have to wait until after this weekend though, I have to buckle my proverbial seatbelt for Halloween to be over.
Zloduska
Senior Member
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: Horror Movie Recommendations For October/Halloween

Postby rrnate » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:47 pm

Zloduska wrote:RRNATE: It turns out we have From Beyond on DVD and will see it ASAP. My boyfriend chided me that he tried to get me to watch it before but I wasn't in the mood; but I didn't even realize what it was. It will have to wait until after this weekend though, I have to buckle my proverbial seatbelt for Halloween to be over.


Awesome. Your boyfriend is right.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3668
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2002 6:33 pm
Location: Madison's Corporate Underbelly

Re: Horror Movie Recommendations For October/Halloween

Postby Athena » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:10 am

That's so terrible that Stuart Gordon and Bill Rebane didn't get paid for their appearances. I was there that night and thought it was great to see Reanimator on the big screen with Stuart Gordon. I hope you can manage to get more events like this as it was a lot of fun.

I watched several more films after my last post - God Told Me To is very strange and didn't make a lot of sense past the halfway point, Feast was fun but pointless, and the Halloween remake by Rob Zombie was good. That really surprised me as I don't usually like remakes, but it had some interesting things to say and Rob Zombie made it his own movie instead of merely retelling the same story. It's funny, after seeing a few of his movies I can now recognize his films just by the style.

I'll have to watch From Beyond once I have recovered from that marathon. I'm completely done with horror right now. I should add the Stuart Gordon's episode of Fear Itself is very good and the only episode of that show that I would recommend.
Athena
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 262
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:33 pm

Re: Horror Movie Recommendations For October/Halloween

Postby MadMind75 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:07 pm

Watched Audition last week and honestly, I don't understand what all the hype was about. It was lost on me. I didn't find it particularly engaging or scary.

Watched Stuart Gordon's uncut From Beyond this week. It was alright. I think the director took some cues from John Carpenter's The Thing in regards to creature design. And although Hellraiser was released a year later, the scene where she walks through the psych ward peering into people's rooms and sees a guy crouched down beating off is incredibly similar.
MadMind75
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 386
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:19 pm

Re: Horror Movie Recommendations For October/Halloween

Postby MadMind75 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:25 pm

Might as well restart this thread back up before Halloween hits.
Trying to think of some I've seen recently...
Dark Country, The Descent 2, the original Last House On The Left...

Suggestions for Halloween 2010 viewing?
MadMind75
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 386
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:19 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Movies

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DCB and 1 guest

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR
Created with flickr badge.

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar