MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, July 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 75.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Band to Band Combat: Voting starts today (Thursday)

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Band to Band Combat: Voting starts today (Thursday)

Postby jjoyce » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:17 am

http://www.thedailypage.com/bandtoband

38 bands (lots of music... take your time)

Round 1 starts now, runs until noon on Sunday, Nov. 1

Register to vote, pick as many bands as you'd like, but vote only once per round. You can log in to listen as often as you'd like until you hit that vote button, at which point you're done until the next round.

Anyone care to handicap the field?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Band to Band Combat: Voting starts today (Thursday)

Postby jjoyce » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:16 am

Voting ends at noon on Sunday.

www.thedailypage.com/bandtoband
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby beernuts » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:01 pm

I often get "file not found" when trying to get play the music. For some artists,I have never found the file.
When closing the page, there a many script errors that pop up. Pretty annoying.

There should be additional or different songs for each round. That is the only way to get a feel for bands I have not heard.

With these issues, you are setting up a vote that is nothing more than how many fans and relatives of a particular band are willing to keep coming back to vote for "their" band. It would be better if some independent voices were heard but that is unlikely with the errors and the single songs. Why should I return if it is the same stuff and I don't have any vested interest in who wins?
beernuts

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:31 pm

I'd love to vote, but I've not received an e-mail with my password since registering this morning. What gives?
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:42 pm

Only three days to vote in the first round, mostly over Halloween weekend. Did not give some of us slackers with shows much time to get the word out.

Very nice pics in the last paper issue of Isthmus.

Best of luck to those still in the running.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:50 pm

We've had nearly a thousand voters thus far. The field was pretty strong, so there's no doubt that those bands better at getting out the vote would advance. Is it a popularity contest? Is the business of rock 'n roll in general a popularity contest?

I apologize for technical issues. Those I know who helped test the balloting and participated in Round One voting didn't come across those issues. I have to assume it had something to do with a large amount of traffic streaming those MP3s.

Personally, I'm thrilled that there are a bunch of songs from solid Madison bands on our website for people to hear. We'll be re-posting songs from all the bands after the voting determines the Final 2 next week.

By the way: There are only about 24 hours left to vote in Round Two and the voting is pretty tight!
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:47 pm

jjoyce wrote:The field was pretty strong, so there's no doubt that those bands better at getting out the vote would advance. Is it a popularity contest? Is the business of rock 'n roll in general a popularity contest?

No disagreement there. I admit we were slackers on getting the word out being preoccupied with one of our biggest shows of the year. Halloween weekend is a busy time for most bands.

Keep up the great work supporting the Madison music scene.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mr. Williams » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:47 pm

I love this idea! ANY promo us bands can get is awesome and I give major props to the Isthmus for doing this. They are the only paper in this town that gives a damn about the music scene and actually promotes it heavily with contests like this, as a band all we want to do is have our music be heard, if the people don't like it thats cool. I haven't run into any trouble with the voting, it's been a piece of cake so far.

The bands are killer too, i'm digging on Whitney Mann and of course love Adam with Soul Shaker. I drenched my laptop with beer when I listened to Cribshitters song, another great tune. I wish Isthmus would do this more often and have more multiple band lineups to decide the winners, or just for the fun of it. I'd love to do shows with a lot of these bands but when it comes down to it a lot of the clubs don't like to mix genre's. *uck em.

Props to Isthmus and J. Joyce for getting this going and good luck to the remaining bands as well.
Mr. Williams

Postby supaunknown » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:43 pm

Just voted in the 3rd Round. Some of my favs from earlier rounds (Beekeepers, Cribshitter) didn't survive to this latest round but there is one song remaining that stands out pretty strong imo. Fun to hear everything.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beekeepers » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:07 am

Beekeepers are shocked. SHOCKED! That Cribshitter was eliminated! No justice, no peas...

Now go vote for Midwest Beat!
Beekeepers

Return to Madison Music