MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 2, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 68.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Maharaja Indian Restaurant

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: Maharaja Indian Restaurant

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:59 am

Three table changes? Wow.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:24 pm

TAsunder wrote:Indian Buffets in general do not represent quality Indian cuisine as a rule. And yes, I'm including the ones on Devon St in Chicago.

It's funny because what does "Indian food" mean? An Indian restaurant can represent a single region or multiple regions ... if the latter, there may not be proper representations of the right things (or the cooks might only be accomplished in some of the dishes).

What if we had European restaurants that served schnitzel, lasagna, paella and pate? You couldn't expect it all to be good (and probably none of it would be spectacular).

The best indian food I've had was at the graduation of a Indian friend. All of the ladies in her family contributed to a 20+ dish meal.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:08 pm

boston_jeff wrote:Three table changes? Wow.

Alright it was twice, but any others beyond one might as well be three.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:25 pm

john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:29 pm

mildsauce04 wrote:Maybe I'm just spoiled, the first time I ever had Indian food was at a place called India House near Chicago. It is still the best Indian I've ever eaten.

You owe it to yourself to hit up Devon and visit Hyderabad House or Khan BBQ. India House is terrible, a downtown mass-feeding operation that churns tourists and businessmen looking for a fast buffet through their doors as a matter of routine.

It's also the site of the singular worst birthday dinner that I've ever attended. Note: Bhabi's Kitchen as referenced in that post isn't the same thing that it once was.

It's almost shameful to be somehow using something as middle-of-the-road as India House as your gold standard from which to gripe about another restaurant. Granted, that makes anything said about the other restaurant that much worse, subjectively.
Petro
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews