MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Packers 2009

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Re: Packers 2009

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:25 am

McCarthy stuck with "young," thank you McCarthy. Tauscher and Clifton would have been a help.

I don't know about that. If they would have helped they would have been in there. You don't get to see them practice all week. Maybe Clifton wasn't ready and couldn't be effective. Maybe Tauscher wasn't back up to speed or simply doesn't have the same skills. I have complete faith that if those two could have gone in and made a difference they would have. Whatever you think about Thompson or his ego they ARE trying to win football games. No matter what guys are "their guys" they are going to put the best 22 on the field at the start of the game. Now in Cleveland with their QB problems that's a different story. There's no reason they should be playing Anderson except that they don't want to pay Quinn.

So go Vikings. Brett, hope you get to play one more Super Bowl and the Vikings Win.

Nope. Not a chance. I appreciate what Brett did in GB and I will certainly be welcoming him into the Hall as a Packer but right now all he is is the QB for a hated division rival. Period. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
I won't root for the Vikes until the Pack is completely out of the playoffs. Then I'd like to see him win regardless of uniform. Team First. Players Second. Then division, or in college, conference.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:41 am

Once my team is out of it, I root for whoever the hell I want. And typically its based on my opinion of players on a team (particularly a beloved former player from my team), if someone great has played their entire career w/o a title or is an intriguing underdog story, or if its a particularly loyal fan base (vs. d-bags from NY or wannabe bandwagoneers from TB, etc). If it went division, conference (league whatever), I would be rooting for teams like the Yankees and the Rays. Or the Canadiens and the Jets. Sorry, but that's just not going to work.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:19 pm

I could see that being a problem in Boston. So you don't root for the Yankees becasue you feel like they somehow screwed over Johnny Damon? It's tough but when the Bears were in the big game a few years back I was pulling for them. When Bowl season comes around I root for all the Big Ten teams but I'm not heartbroken when Ohio State ends up getting killed. I'd prefer they win though. I'd pull for the Texans becasue of Owen Daniels and I root for the Suns and Alando Tucker, I root for the Nets and Devin Harris but if either of them are playing the Bucks then fuck 'em.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:31 pm

fisticuffs wrote: So you don't root for the Yankees becasue you feel like they somehow screwed over Johnny Damon?

On behalf of Boston Jeff: Huh?
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:37 pm

On behalf of Boston Jeff: Huh?

Johnny Damon. LF. Used to play in Boston. Was there for the World Series correct? Probably a popular sports figure for the Sox while he was there. Now on the Yankees. It was a tongue in cheek comparison for the person here who is a "Packer Fan" but is rooting on Favre all the way.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:56 pm

Rooting for your biggest rivals because they come from "the same division" just seems kind of silly. Special exceptions can be made, but never for the Yankees. Damon won a ring in 2004 and he became a mindless robot and cut off his hair (such a big part of his "idiot" persona) when he went to NY for one extra guaranteed year. Comparing what JD did to the Favre saga is apples and oranges. Theo tried to retain JD, he just got outbid. The Pack told Brett to take a hike. And the Yankees? They are emblematic of just about everything that is soulless and wrong in pro sports. If you don't understand why a Boston fan (or any non-Yankee fan really) wouldn't root for the Yanks I can't really continue here.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:02 pm

And the Yankees? They are emblematic of just about everything that is soulless and wrong in pro sports. If you don't understand why a Boston fan (or any non-Yankee fan really) wouldn't root for the Yanks I can't really continue here.

Oh no I understand. And the Yankees certainly are a different animal. The Vikings aren't ruining Pro Football by signing Favre. The Yankees are a cancer on the game. I have a soft spot for CC but only becasue he's a fat guy who played for the Crew. Hard not to love the fat guy. But by no means do I want the Yankees to have any success.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peacetrain » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:13 pm

fisticuffs wrote:I could see that being a problem in Boston. So you don't root for the Yankees becasue you feel like they somehow screwed over Johnny Damon? It's tough but when the Bears were in the big game a few years back I was pulling for them. When Bowl season comes around I root for all the Big Ten teams but I'm not heartbroken when Ohio State ends up getting killed. I'd prefer they win though. I'd pull for the Texans becasue of Owen Daniels and I root for the Suns and Alando Tucker, I root for the Nets and Devin Harris but if either of them are playing the Bucks then fuck 'em.

We have found common ground fistie.

Although for some reason ive never felt the same kind of loyalty to conf/division/league with baseball as i do with football and hoops.
Peacetrain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:16 pm

Although for some reason ive never felt the same kind of loyalty to conf/division/league with baseball as i do with football and hoops.

Yeah me too. I won't root for the Cubs becasue its just soo much more entertaining when they lose. I can't root for the Cards becasue they are a bunch of dick holes. I guess if The Pirates somehow someday made it to the WS I would root for them but not really becasue they are in the division but becasue they are such long shots and have sucked for most of my adult life.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peacetrain » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:40 pm

boston_jeff wrote: If you don't understand why a Boston fan (or any non-Yankee fan really) wouldn't root for the Yanks I can't really continue here.

I completely understand why a Boston fan wouldn't root for the Yanks(been more succesful for how many decades?).

A lot of non-yank fans wont root for the sox either. Because of $$$.
Peacetrain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:44 pm

Yeah, but just $ isn't the only issue. Its how they spend the money that bothers me.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:49 pm

So back to the Pack. Got winless TB on the road this weekend. Should be a pushover. I say 35-3. In line with the stomping of the other god awful teams we've faced this year. Then it gets hairier. Better have that O-line improved. But I also can't see it getting any worse.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:20 pm

ouch!!!
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:38 pm

Well-played, Marvell. Well-played.

Aaron Rodgers, not so much. There is something fundamentally wrong with him right now. Second string needs to start seeing more reps with the first team offense.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby KidCapitol » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:30 am

You know it's the end of the world when the Pack loses to a winless TB but beats Dallas!?
KidCapitol
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking