MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 2, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Spruce Tree Music rave

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Re: Spruce Tree Music rave

Postby Thusnelda » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:10 pm

Yep, that's how I felt when I went in there on my recent escapade. Even though I ended up with something much cheaper at the Guitar Shop on Atwood (because I knew that the guitar I got would just get kicked around a bit), Will was very helpful in discussing the features and demonstrating his guitars properly for a non-strummer. I'm actually kind of looking forward to getting good enough to go in to Spruce Tree for a better one.
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:31 pm

jjoyce wrote:I always kind of assumed it was for heavyweights.

I'm not a music person, this reminds me that I used to shy away from quite a few nice bike shops in this town because I felt certain I wasn't a "serious" enough cyclist to do business with them.

I'm almost always wrong when I make that assumption.

Just because you're interested in the stuff they're passionate about, most shopkeepers are happy to have you as a customer, no matter your skill level or budget.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:19 pm

Spruce Tree is my fave shop in town for acoustic repair, buy and sell.
For electrics/amps and anything that has enough plate voltage to kill you dead I go Ed Larson or Sid.
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lepolka » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:27 pm

Years ago I went there (having previously only purchased strings, picks, and the occasional setup) looking to rent a resonator guitar for a day or two of recording. They informed me in no uncertain terms that they didn't rent instruments, and proceeded to loan me an absolutely stunning vintage Dobro (from 1937, as I recall) for free.

They did make me write my name and phone # on a napkin, though. Truly great folks.
Lepolka

Postby Beekeepers » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:22 pm

Lepolka wrote:Years ago I went there (having previously only purchased strings, picks, and the occasional setup) looking to rent a resonator guitar for a day or two of recording. They informed me in no uncertain terms that they didn't rent instruments, and proceeded to loan me an absolutely stunning vintage Dobro (from 1937, as I recall) for free.

They did make me write my name and phone # on a napkin, though. Truly great folks.

Now THAT'S a recommendation!
Beekeepers

Previous

Return to Madison Music