MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 31.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

OYSY Sushi and Seafood Buffet

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: OYSY Sushi and Seafood Buffet

Postby altcountryman » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:55 pm

Had lunch there with a couple of guys from work today. We all really liked it. Lunch was $8.99 - the sign showed that as a markdown from $10.99.

Everything I had - and I had quite a bit, was very good. I especially liked the filet of sole. There's a nice variety of fish, shellfish, tempura, and meat dishes, as well as a variety of sushi. Also a really nice selection of fruit and desserts.

Anyhoo, I liked it and will definitely be back.
altcountryman

Postby john_titor » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:14 pm

There ya go.

I think masima123 is a kid whose parents made them do it.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby evansvillehousewife » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:02 pm

Ithsmus gave a review that is exactly how i thought it would be- hot food passable, sushi and sashimi a disappointment.
My first thought is that an owner thought Gaijin Americans would not be able to tell the difference between crap and true sushi. Honestly- there is a reason good sushi is rolled up seconds before presentation. And sashimi cannot be sit in the air long before it becomes fishstick material.
Oh- and saw a commercial for it. on the ad they pronounced it:

Oh-EEE-She.

I missed THAT one. Could not for the life of me why they gave it such an obscure name when people can't even pass the place on by word of mouth.
evansvillehousewife
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:38 pm

evansvillehousewife wrote:My first thought is that an owner thought Gaijin Americans would not be able to tell the difference between crap and true sushi.

Or maybe they're giving us credit to not expect world class sushi for an all you can eat price.

I love sushi. I've dropped many hundreds of dollars for a single meal at some of the best places in America. It was worth it. Way beyond the best sushi I've had in Madison. And I've had some very good sushi here.

I also pick up the $6 platter at the grocery store on a regular basis.

I'm smart enough that I don't expect them to be the same thing. Or even close. Sushi is one of those "you get what you pay for" things.

So I don't expect to get Takumi quality at a buffet. But then it's gonna cost me about a third of what a trip to Takumi normally costs my wife and I.

I figure most people know what they're getting into with a buffet.

I've got a friend who likes OYSY A LOT.... for what it is. He's said he's even gotten good frog legs there. I'm willing to give 'em a try based on his reports. I'm not expecting anything other then a good buffet tho'.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby roadkill bill » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:47 pm

No idea whether the place is any good. It's in a location I am unlikely to visit, but the first page of posts was a real riot.

The only reviews - good and bad - were from people with a single post, maybe two.

I don't often read the restaurant reviews on TDPF. Is that typical?
roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:54 pm

Took my college freshman son here for dinner the other night. The price was $17.99 per person, according to the signboard which is on the front of a lectern right inside the front door. Pretty hard to miss.

My expectations were extremely low, it being a buffet after all. I was very pleasantly surprised, and thought it was a good value for the price. The issues were the usual issues with any food presented buffet style, especially since the place was mostly empty. Fried rice was hard in some bites from sitting out too long. Crab legs, good, well prepared, but room temperature. Would have preferred hot or cold. The asparagus spears were perfectly done, crispy and hot. Tempura veggies were probably good when they had first been made, but were also room temperature and no longer crisp.

There were frog legs, mussels, scallops served on large shells with lemon, fruit of the copps deli variety, little cakes and macaroons. There is a self serve ice cream area too. Also a self serve miso soup stand. The miso was quite good.

The unlimited sushi bar was worth the entire price, in my opinion. Of course it's not going to be like Takumi, but it is better than grocery store sushi by far. And the sashimi was great. There was a huge selection of various combo sushi rolls. Next time, that will be my first stop. I didn't even see the sushi area until my plate was filled...maybe it's designed that way so you fill up on cheaper food. I kind of wondered if my stomach would be "iffy" from the sushi and sashimi afterwards, but no problems. (I have had problems after eating sushi at 'better' places from time to time, so you just never know.) This stuff was fine, very good.

My son loved it all, btw. We will definitely go back. The one warning I would give is about the wooden booths. They have a strange cut-out design on the sides, with a sharp protruding corner that can cause a nasty welt on one's side while getting into or out of the booth, especially if you are a taller or bigger person (my son is 6'4"). I didn't have a problem, but probably because I was being very careful after seeing him get hurt.
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby altcountryman » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:07 pm

roadkill bill wrote:The only reviews - good and bad - were from people with a single post, maybe two.

If my post has you worried (I've got like 20-some, which rounds down to 1 or 2 relative to the multitudes that the regulars have), it shouldn't. I eat at a lot of places but rarely post about it. I'm just lazy like that. I remembered seeing there was a thread on Oysy, and it's a new place, so I thought I'd chime in.

Not sure if Low-post reviews are typical. I see an occasional dodgy review from a one-post foron, but I'd guess that rather than an 80/20 rule, the food boards here have a 99.99 / .01 rule with a handful of regulars generating most the reviews and discussion. Not hatin' on that, just sayin'.

As for the name, I saw the same name in an article somewhere, it was a restaurant somewhere in Asia (I know, Asia's a big place...) but it made me think the name either has some relevant meaning or it's one of those "classic" restaurant names that gets reused.
altcountryman

Postby ALittleToTheRight » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:29 am

roadkill bill wrote:The only reviews - good and bad - were from people with a single post, maybe two.

I don't normally find a lot of things on here that get me interested enough to comment about, but with my newfound appreciation for sushi, I thought this would be a good thread to start with.
ALittleToTheRight

Postby MHicks » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:11 pm

OK for lunch. You definitely can eat your money's worth in seafood but it's all a bit ordinary. The service was very good. If I have to go to an asian buffet it would be my choice but I am generally not a big buffet fan.
I am still waiting for madison to get a real dim sum.
MHicks

Postby Hobo » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:40 am

This topic holds the record for the amount of First Time Posters.
Hobo

Postby mog53 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:46 pm

I'm going to eat there tomorrow, went to look for reviews and found this forum. I was moved to create an account to respond to someone mentioning the phonetics of the name. "Oh-EEE-She" is how you pronounce the word for "delicious" in Japanese however the romanized spelling is "oishi", not "oysy".

I had really hoped that was not what they were getting at with the name "Oysy" but I think it is pretty clear they were. That said I am more than a little skeptical of their claim to be "The first & only authentic Japanese restaurant in town", in fact it's kind of offensive what with Takumi just a few blocks away not to mention Edo, Wasabi, etc. I'm going for lunch for sure while they still have the grand opening discount but I do not have high expectations.
mog53

Postby iheartfood » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:43 pm

first time poster...no bias bs crap. Gf n I have been there handful of times. In their opening few weeks the sashimi pieces looked decent. And all the sashsimi pieces were laid out resting on each other perfectly. But now, whatever portions thats left over gets clumped together in a big ball and thrown in freezer or fridge. Its evident cause the following day its still frozen in a giant cluster and served on the boat. Its not that I care if the pieces are chilled or whatever..cause having sashimi on a boat in open is asking for someone to complain about a stomach problem in the future. Its the way its served in a giant frozen salmon ball that you need help to pull apart the pieces.but to do it I bet over and over, the salmon doesn't even have its normal color and theres an off taste to it. Now we don't even go there for the sashimi anymore cause it just looks sketchy.

Crab legs theyve done it where its invidivual legs not in a big cluster like before. Oyster bar..they have sketchy ones, last time we were there was sat night. It was busy i'd say for oysy at around 630. They had oysters out but a few of them tasted bad. You just gotta sort thru it. Theirfried rice used to have alot of shrimp but not anymore, prolly cause cost and they just aren't pulling in as much ppl. Their salt n pepper shrimp is prolly one of our favs there, the shrimp is like baby lobster lol. But it was the first time we had seen it that big, prolly cause on the weekend.

Id suggest you go during dinner on a weekend. You get in my eyes a tad bit better food. Their tempura is pretty darn good..just during lunch they have chicken tempura n if you're there on a slow time, expect food sometimes to take a lil bit longer than usual. Or ask them, if not you'll have to eat the last bits before the next is brought out. Frog legs are hit or miss, on occasion you'll get a salty one or a really good one..just wished it was a bit more crispier...oh and ppl that are "allergic" to msg, if u look closely. You can see it sprinkled on the frog legs.

N the "first n only authentic japanese restaurant" in madison, thats insulting to the other restaurant. Only difference they have is sashimi and raw oysters. Everything else is just a regular Chinese buffet.

Sorry for long post. =\ this isn't a mean to bash oysy or not...we like going here but only during dinner on the weekends hehe. for 17.99 a person, you do get alot..its not omgoose awesomeness sushi, but if you want a roll or something different than the 23434 chinese buffets in madison. Try it.
iheartfood

Oishii: delicious, tasty, nice

Postby kulgar » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:56 pm

Let's be gracious and say they wanted to avoid any trademark or copyright hassles with the hundreds of "Oishii" or "Oishi" restaurants, judo parlors, online magazines and even Oishipizza, whatever the hell that is, in the US.

Or since Japanese and Chinese kanji characters usually mean the same thing even though pronounced differently, maybe it's the Chinese Anglicization of "delicious"?

Which doesn't mean they can't have decent Japanese food, can't judge, I've never been there. But sushi and sashimi have to be fresh, just cut, eaten relatively quickly, not rolled into balls, refrigerated and put back out the next day. Kadushin handled that in his review.

And let's be careful about touting "authentic Japanese" when most people in this town think Paisan's serves "Italian" cuisine. The majority of "Japanese" restaurants in Madison are Chinese or Korean owned and operated. I'm not saying Muramoto can't open an outstanding French or Chinese restaurant and I did enjoy the sushi at Edo and usually Wasabi until Sushi Muramoto opened its doors.

But I lived in Japan for four years, ate out a bit and never saw anything close to Takumi's decor. The high end hundred dollar sushi meals were served in what looks a lot like SM in Hilldale. The more elaborate shoji screened, geishi served places were a bit like Takumi, more authentic and cost I don't have a clue because it was always on someone else's yen.
kulgar
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:01 pm

http://madison.craigslist.org/mat/2313108726.html

All shut down, selling off the gear, tearing down the building.

I emailed the seller to be certain that was Oysy, and it is. 4126 East Washington Avenue in the space formerly occupied by Oysy Sushi.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Drinkslinger » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:12 pm

The link is taken down. What happened? What is going in its place?
Drinkslinger

PreviousNext

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews