MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 23.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Charter - When No Doesn't Mean No

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Charter - When No Doesn't Mean No

Postby rrnate » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:35 pm

http://www.channel3000.com/money/21515729/detail.html

Has anyone else had the hard sell from Charter like the lady in this article? Even though Charter has pulled all sorts of obnoxious shit with me, I don't think I've ever heard of a "door to door salesman" working for them.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Charter - When No Doesn't Mean No

Postby O.J. » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:43 pm

Personally, I'd request another house visit from a salesperson, only to leave home before they arrived. Lather, rinse, repeat.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:45 pm

This makes me think that all those people supposedly only pretending to be charter salespeople who were thought to be trying to defraud people were actually charter employees. That, or they just went ahead and hired those guys since they run such a shady operation anyway.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Right Bower » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:47 pm

A couple years ago I had a Charter salesman come to my door. He asked about my service, I told him I had just signed up for phone and internet service and who with, and therefore didn't need his services.

He said, and I quote, "Oh, that was a big mistake."

I shut the door.
Right Bower
Forum Addict

Postby Pogoagogo » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:37 am

Just received a letter from Charter this week:

"In order to continue to provide you with the best possible service, we are increasing the price of your modem lease by 2.00 from $3.00/month to $5.00 month."

I called, and asked them to justify the model lease increase. They told me increased costs. I said "Oh, you mean, I've leased it for 3 years now, and suddenly, the manufacturer came back to you and said "Hey, we need to charge you an extra 100.00 for that modem you bought 3 years ago?". The rep could not explain why.

It's just a way to fleece existing customers, nothing more.
Pogoagogo
Forum Addict

Postby Galoot » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:41 am

Nowhere near as bad a hassling as the lady in that story got--but I still feel hassled by Charter. I called them about 6 months ago and told them to STOP sending me advertising junk mail, to just take me completely off their list. The woman I talked to said it might take a month or so.

Six months later, I still get a piece of Charter junk mail nearly every day, sometimes two per day.

It seems to me that if they keep sending stuff when someone has specifically requested to NOT receive mail, they're violating some sort of law. If not, then it should be that way!
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Technology & Video Games