MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 58.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

NICK'S HOME OF GOOD FOOD

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: NICK'S HOME OF GOOD FOOD

Postby Ducatista » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:00 am

I hate Miracle Whip as much as the next guy. More. But—you walked out of Nick's for that??
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:19 am

Ducatista wrote:I hate Miracle Whip as much as the next guy. More. But—you walked out of Nick's for that??
Eh, as opposed to what? Loitering? A person's gotta eat.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:30 am

Miracle Whip has a cozy place in my heart by virtue of leftover turkey sandwiches post-Thanksgiving at home. But at a restaurant? I'd expect either irony or mayo.

All the other plaudits for Nick's make me want to go there, despite not being a State St. person or one of those blunt types who don't appear to need to have a job to survive. (EDIT: and thus have time to go anywhere at any time)
Last edited by TheBookPolice on Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:02 am

Its a decent diner type place. Good pre-show for the Orpheum or Overture. I didn't jizz in my pants or anything. Kind of like the Plaza burger. Its all right, but certain Madisonians go nuts for it.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:07 am

You could have covered up the miracle whip with non-heinz ketchup in a heinz ketchup bottle with which places like Nick's try to trick you.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:08 am

@ Bookpolice - they're open late.

@ boston Jeff - please let me know what restaurants have caused your in-pants jizzing and please include info on where you were sitting, just so I can make sure to not sit there.

Nick's holds a solid spot in my top 5 places in town to eat/get a beer.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:21 am

rrnate wrote:@ Bookpolice - they're open late.

@ boston Jeff - please let me know what restaurants have caused your in-pants jizzing and please include info on where you were sitting, just so I can make sure to not sit there.

This does not surprise me.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:29 am

TAsunder wrote:You could have covered up the miracle whip with non-heinz ketchup in a heinz ketchup bottle with which places like Nick's try to trick you.

Incidentally, I only just learned that this is referred to as "marrying ketchup"--the practice of filling low ketchup bottles with the contents of other low ketchup bottles rather than leaving low bottles on the table until they empty.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:34 am

I used to go to a diner that had little metal devices for marrying the ketchup. But they didn't put gov't issue ketchup into Heinz bottles or anything sketchy like that. That place was a Nick's type establishment.

Pretty good lunch joint, but wouldn't make my list for top 5 in Boston.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:36 am

TheBookPolice wrote:
TAsunder wrote:You could have covered up the miracle whip with non-heinz ketchup in a heinz ketchup bottle with which places like Nick's try to trick you.

Incidentally, I only just learned that this is referred to as "marrying ketchup"--the practice of filling low ketchup bottles with the contents of other low ketchup bottles rather than leaving low bottles on the table until they empty.

Interesting. So I guess my post referred to having a trophy wife? That's when you buy a heinz bottle just for the looks, even though you constantly refill it with much more inexpensive ketchup.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:38 am

boston_jeff wrote:Its a decent diner type place. Good pre-show for the Orpheum or Overture. I didn't jizz in my pants or anything. Kind of like the Plaza burger. Its all right, but certain Madisonians go nuts for it.

I feel the same way. I like the place well enough, but I've got friends that obsess over it. As you said, great for a pre-show dinner, but not so much when the show is at the High Noon or the Pabst. And then I've got to be the mean dad that says "I'm not driving to State Street on my way to I-94. Pick somewhere else."
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:25 pm

boston_jeff wrote:

You're not surprised I don't want to sit in a tepid pool of your self satisfaction?
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:41 pm

rrnate wrote:
boston_jeff wrote:

You're not surprised I don't want to sit in a tepid pool of your self satisfaction?

Just bring a blacklight wherever you dine so you don't have to keep track of all of his stains we would like to avoid.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:56 pm

I think it's time to come clean on this issue, Jeff.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:41 pm

I expect a blacklight in Nick's (or really, any restaurant) would make most people think twice about eating out.

Having said that, I patronize Nick's when I can. It's not fine dining, but it's got that certain... something.

Ok, so what is the deal with Miracle Whip making mayo-enjoying people gag? I've also heard this from people outside the forum, and it makes no sense at all to me. Maybe it's a poor substitution for mayo, depending on your tastes, but literally can't eat it?

Hm, a post combining blacklight stains and mayonnaise. This can't be good.
Last edited by ilikebeans on Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews