MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 63.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Will Brandon Jennings get you to care about the Bucks?

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Will Brandon Jennings get you to care about the Bucks?

Postby jjoyce » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:09 am

I'm half in the tank for this kid after watching him pour in 55 on Saturday. Everything I've read about him since (and I've sought out a lot) indicates that he's not your typical 20-year-old entitled basketball player.

Plus: His abilities mean opponents can't sag on Bogut all the time which means he's already making his team better.

I think Michael Redd better get his act together and get healthy, otherwise he's going to quickly become expendable. When he returns, it will be interesting to see how Redd and Jennings share the ball. Or don't.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Will Brandon Jennings get you to care about the Bucks?

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:11 am

Yes. He already has. Watched him tear it up against Denver and I'm hooked. Redd will be trade bait mid season. All he's done in 8 games is look like a superstar.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peacetrain » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:56 am

As a fan i always pay attention to the bucks. Mainly written word and espn highlights. I was hoping Jennings would get me to actually WANT to watch the games. Lasted less than a quarter. Still the NBA,and although they've made a few changes the last fews years that i think helped its watchability i find it mostly unwatchable until the last 8-10 minutes.
Peacetrain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:09 pm

I feel the same way about many NBA games, but I wish I was watching the second half of the Golden State game when Jennings hit like 12 shots in a row.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jtmehrin » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:33 pm

I don't get a chance to watch many buck's games (my wife puts up with the badgers and the packers, not much sports beyond that). I tried to watch the game on Saturday night because I was home alone. They looked good, but I could not stand to watch the game for 2 reasons: 1) McGlocklin, and 2) Paschke - 2 of the worst announcers I've ever heard. I kept flipping the channels cause they were talking stupid, and ended up missing most of Jennings play in the second half.

Redd is totally gone by the trade deadline. Make too much money, and is hurt to much.
jtmehrin

Postby Peacetrain » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:33 pm

jjoyce wrote:I feel the same way about many NBA games, but I wish I was watching the second half of the Golden State game when Jennings hit like 12 shots in a row.

The beauty of espn, got to see all of them.

I'm trying to get rid of 2 lower level tickets for this friday. Not worth the drive to me and i'm finding out most my friends/coworkers feel the same.
Peacetrain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:47 pm

"It's 100 to 100 with just over a minute to go!" My, how exciting. Why watch any NBA game? Who's YOUR favorite ref?
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:49 pm

jtmehrin wrote:Redd is totally gone by the trade deadline. Make too much money, and is hurt to much.

Good luck finding a trade partner. Heading into one of the biggest FA offseasons in NBA history, teams have been trying to cut payroll. Unless the Bucks take on an equally-ludicrous contract, I think he's staying put.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:49 pm

I just have a hard time watching NBA games in general. Maybe if they limited players to 5 fouls, called them consistently even on stars, and took away about half the timeouts, I'd give it another look.

That said, I certainly wish any Wisconsin sports franchise well, I just don't see getting emotionally involved with this one.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:39 am

gargantua wrote:I just have a hard time watching NBA games in general. Maybe if they limited players to 5 fouls, called them consistently even on stars, and took away about half the timeouts, I'd give it another look.

That said, I certainly wish any Wisconsin sports franchise well, I just don't see getting emotionally involved with this one.

This is exactly my opinion as well. Basketball is #4 out of the four big sports in my personal preference rankings, and I only really enjoy watching UW games. I've tried to get into the Bucks or NBA basketball in general, but aside from casually watching a game at the bar it just doesn't hold my attention.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby keelio » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:28 pm

I'm perennially hopeful the Bucks will turn the corner, and like what Jennings has shown so far. The other roster adjustments seem to be paying off as well - Ilyasova, Meeks & Delfino. If Bogut and Redd can somehow hold it together, healthwise, they've got a shot at a decent season. Herb's getting up in years, so would be nice to give him a winner. A 5-1 home stand is pretty sweet, especially since they could've taken down Dallas and gone undefeated in 6. The next four on the road will be a good tester with Bogut in the infirmary.

Not having TV, I listen to sports on radio and do enjoy basketball. Games are relatively short, for one thing, and flow pretty well. Bucks' announcers are pretty entertaining, too. Of the big four, football is probably last on my list for listening since all the breaks in play make for some insipid, cliched filler and constantly elevated hype level. Baseball is great for relaxing background while working and a cinch to keep up with, given the pace of the game.
keelio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:29 pm

Michael Redd is done for the season; there goes his trade value. Not a very good day for Wisconsin sports fans.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/81165937.html
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LLUrbanUnderachiever » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:45 pm

Wow - Michael Redd has managed to be more fragile than Ben Sheets. Is there something in the Milwaukee water supply that gives our athletes osteoporosis?
LLUrbanUnderachiever
Forum Addict

Postby keelio » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:12 pm

Big bump for the Bucks - with Skiles getting coach of the month honors, a 10 win February, Bogut playing out of his mind, Salmons and Stackhouse being excellent pickups...playoffs on the horizon. Hoping they can keep up the winning ways and move into the #6 slot in the playoffs, maybe get to the second round.
keelio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby keelio » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:51 am

Where, oh where, to begin? Bucks are simply rocking Round One...with REAL basketball. Not that dull, star-focused isolation version. Ball movement, balanced scoring, team defense, hustle...yowza, the real fundamental deal. Huge upside to this team, regardless where they end up in the playoffs.

Point number two: Jennings was simply ripped off in ROY voting. Are voters just reading stat lines?!? Do they watch a little tape to gain some understanding of floor leadership and contribution to team basketball? No way should Jennings end up in third place for ROY...unless it's the bizarro world of the NBA.

Point number three: Why does there seem to be so little interest in the Bucks outside of Milwaukee? The Journal-Sentinel has provided consistent coverage through the season - about the only reason I'm reading that paper. But Bucks news and analysis is virtually non-existent in Madison papers. Maybe I'm way too biased, but this team's story - evolution through the season and unexpected success - seems to be the most compelling thing going on in Wisconsin sports. Yet all the Madison papers seem to cover is off-season packer prognostication and off-season badger football comings and goings.
keelio
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking