MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

LOST Season 6: "It's GROUNDHOG DAY!!"

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

LOST Season 6: "It's GROUNDHOG DAY!!"

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:11 am

The new and final season of LOST will premiere on Tuesday, February 2nd--also known as Groundhog Day and the namesake of a great and hilarious movie about time getting stuck in a loop.

Anyone who's been watching LOST knows what I'm talking about. Anyone who hasn't--well, I'm very sorry, but there's time to catch up if you buckle down.

I'm going to be running wild with Groundhog Day lines to celebrate this high-nerddom synchronization of pop culture phenomena. Here are some to start:
Rita: I like to see a man of advancing years throwing caution to the wind. It's inspiring in a way.
Phil: My years are not advancing as fast as you might think.

Phil: You like boats, but not the ocean. You go to a lake in the summer with your family up in the mountains. There's a long wooden dock and a boathouse with boards missing from the roof, and a place you used to crawl underneath to be alone. You're a sucker for French poetry and rhinestones. You're very generous. You're kind to strangers and children, and when you stand in the snow you look like an angel.
Rita: [in wonder] How are you doing this?
Phil: I told you. I wake up every day, right here, right in Punxsutawney, and it's always February 2nd, and there's nothing I can do about it.

Phil: I'm a god.
Rita: You're God?
Phil: I'm a god. I'm not the God... I don't think.

Also, if Stephen Tobolowsky shows up in a guest role, I'm going to pop with nerdly joy.

(EDIT: changed my mind on the title)
Last edited by TheBookPolice on Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Re: LOST Season 6 to premiere on Groundhog Day

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:33 am

'Spose I should cite a source.

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/11/19/ ... %E2%80%A6/

Although if you don't want to know casting/billing news, don't read past the first two paragraphs. I didn't necessarily want to know, but it's more or less what I expected anyway.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Re: LOST Season 6 to premiere on Groundhog Day

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:37 am

NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERD!
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Re: LOST Season 6: "It's GROUNDHOG DAY!!"

Postby depinmad » Mon May 24, 2010 1:10 pm

Well, I had fun watching it while it was on, but I do think the flash sideways turned out to be kind of a pointless scam. That whole angle could have just been a final episode, or a stand alone somewhere down the line. I thought it took time away all season from what could have been some good solutions to various mysteries, and I think last night it had the effect of diminishing the very exciting and satisfying finale on the island.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Mon May 24, 2010 1:20 pm

It kind of sucked. I didn't expect answers to questions and I enjoyed the ride this season, and I "got it." But it was exceedingly corny and kind of a cop-out. That cheesy-ass stained glass window at the end kind of said it all. Shannon?!? That Faraday Drive Shaft concert was also brutal. Oh well. I did enjoy the superhero Jack punch and Lapidus channeling Han Solo.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Mon May 24, 2010 1:22 pm

in all fairness, i believe the concert was SUPPOSED to be brutal.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Mon May 24, 2010 1:55 pm

Yeah, they nailed it.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon May 24, 2010 2:14 pm

I thought they did a wonderful job. There aren't a lot of writers who can throw out random details and loose ends by the wagonload for two seasons, suddenly figure out the series is going to go on for a while and then try to tie them into some sort of story for four more seasons, and then finally wind up with an ending that actually DOES use most of those random thoughts.

We missed most of the last season but the recap show helped me figure out I didn't miss much. I did like the show about the origins of Jacob and Esau. Scuse me that's Jacob and The Man in Black.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon May 24, 2010 2:26 pm

rabble wrote:There aren't a lot of writers who can throw out random details and loose ends by the wagonload for two seasons, suddenly figure out the series is going to go on for a while and then try to tie them into some sort of story for four more seasons, and then finally wind up with an ending that actually DOES use most of those random thoughts.

I am baffled by this, as the ending pretty much ignored 5½ Seasons worth of mystery and random details, opting instead to focus on wrapping up the storyline which occupied only half of its final season (and was never particularly interesting to begin with, IMHO.) That ending -- what the Sideways-World was all about -- was perfectly satisfying in its own way, but it had pretty much nothing to do with the magical island and its current and previous occupants. Similarly, the action wrap-up on the island was fine, but failed to address anything beyond the very limited scope of a small handful of the regular series characters.

I certainly wasn't looking for too much explanation -- what we got was far more interesting than extended technobabble would have been and except for the final 10 minutes or so, was a thoroughly enjoyable couple hours of television -- but it seems to me that most of the show's most intriguing non-character elements ultimately had nothing to do with the resolution.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon May 24, 2010 2:32 pm

rabble wrote:There aren't a lot of writers who can throw out random details and loose ends by the wagonload for two seasons, suddenly figure out the series is going to go on for a while and then try to tie them into some sort of story for four more seasons, and then finally wind up with an ending that actually DOES use most of those random thoughts.

??

I don't believe that the writers had every little thing scripted out from Season 1 Episode 1 (and they don't claim they did, either). But this description doesn't reflect the reality of how the show evolved from season to season.

On May 7, 2007, after Season 3 had wrapped and was about to air the season finale, it was announced that ABC and the producers of LOST agreed to bring the series to a close

Pretty much everyone agrees that the primary example of thumbtwiddling and stretching-out was the 6 week mini-season that featured Jack, Sawyer, and Kate in the hands of the Others on Hydra Island. There was filler in all three of the first three seasons, but this was the worst.

Starting with Season 4, however, the writers and producers knew exactly how much time they had left to fill. This means that any unanswered questions in Seasons 4-6 were very likely meant to be unanswered.

You can believe that the producers knew where they wanted to go from the beginning, or not, but starting with Season 4, they knew exactly when the end was coming and wrote to that end.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Mon May 24, 2010 2:59 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:[
Pretty much everyone agrees that the primary example of thumbtwiddling and stretching-out was the 6 week mini-season that featured Jack, Sawyer, and Kate in the hands of the Others on Hydra Island. There was filler in all three of the first three seasons, but this was the worst.

disagree. i know i am in the minority with having no problem with season three, but i think after this season people will start to agree that season three's thumbtwiddling was nothing compared to this season's time spent in the temple and in sideways/purgatory.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon May 24, 2010 3:45 pm

depinmad wrote:i think after this season people will start to agree that season three's thumbtwiddling was nothing compared to this season's time spent in the temple and in sideways/purgatory.

I only half agree. I enjoyed the temple stuff, but had little interest in the sideways world. But I suspect that when reviewed after the finale, it's going to become pretty apparent that there was far more thumbtwiddling going on then anyone could have imagined, considering how almost none of what we saw ended up having much impact on the ultimate resolution(s). Watching it back in the day, I found all the Dharma stuff to be engaging and exciting, for example. But knowing what I know now, I fail to grasp how any of it had anything to do with anything. As an episodic, adventure/mystery show, I give Lost very high marks. But very little of it seems to hang together in any kind of relevant way now that we've come to the end of the journey.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon May 24, 2010 4:05 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Starting with Season 4, however, the writers and producers knew exactly how much time they had left to fill. This means that any unanswered questions in Seasons 4-6 were very likely meant to be unanswered.

You can believe that the producers knew where they wanted to go from the beginning, or not, but starting with Season 4, they knew exactly when the end was coming and wrote to that end.

Yes, by season 4 they had figured out which of their thousands of loose ends they were going to tie together, which ones they were going to ignore and they had already cobbled four or five endings together so they could choose which one they wanted to use by season 6.

I watched most of the show except for season 6. I don't know why you're mad at me.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon May 24, 2010 4:07 pm

That's one interpretation, sure. And who said anyone was mad at anyone?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon May 24, 2010 4:12 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:That's one interpretation, sure.

I'm basing my interpretation on the fact that they aired three alternative endings on the Kimmel show. Or so I've heard, I haven't watched that one yet.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to TV