MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, October 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 59.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Kickshaw

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Kickshaw

Postby MHicks » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:24 pm

We decided to take the plunge and try Kickshaw despite mixed reviews on Urbanspoon. We had a mixed experience. The server was nice and attentive, sort of, but the dinner progressed very slowly. We arrived at 6:30 and were eating our entrees at 7:45.
My wine was exceptionally good but at 8.50 a glass that is what I would expect. Each of the things we ordered came out just OK. Not bad, but not memorable. All the hot food was just warm, not hot, and I had to send my shish kabob back because it was raw on one end. I love my meat medium rare but this peice had not seen a flame at all.
All in all not a place I would go back to. It was just OK and at that price I expect it to be great. We had gone to Eno Vino the week before and had an outstanding dinner with great service for almost exactly the same price.
I'd like to see a restaurant in this location survive, the venue is beautiful, but Kickshaw has some serious kinks to work out.
MHicks

Re: Kickshaw

Postby d2drums » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:01 am

Is this the place that whomever was involved in that supposed culinary reality show "won" as the prize?
d2drums

Postby lolagirl » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:39 am

I found a number of stories online that confirm that Kickshaw is the place. This one seemed to have the most information. http://www.allbusiness.com/labor-employ ... 524-1.html

I'm still trying to figure out exactly what the supposed winner gets. According the article, Peterson - the original owner - turns over his share but stays for a year as "Director of Operations" with a $1 salary. Kelli Keyzers, the winner of this supposed contest, takes over Peterson's share in the business as owner/operator with the "investors from Chicago".

Now, maybe I'm too cynical - but this sounds an awful lot like a way to get a new chef without having to pay them a salary. As an "owner/operator" she's going to want to put as much money back into the place as possible, which usually means working for the future potential of the business. This is what the owner does; an employee is more concerned with getting paid than with what could happen a few years down the road. And that business of Peterson being in charge of operations means that he will retain just about all rights in making day-to-day decisions. So the way I see this, Keyzers is not able to really run the place - making her more like an employee - but is also not able to count on being paid - which makes her more like an owner. I hope this is just me being pessimistic - because from all I've read she seems like a decent person - but it just doesn't scan.
lolagirl
Forum Addict

Postby AaronTheSnob » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:00 am

I read the review in last week's newspaper and was at first excited about it. But about 3 paragraphs in, there was mention made of the "large televisions" in the eating area. That did it for me, won't go. (WHY do supposedly "nice" restaurants have to do this?)
AaronTheSnob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Adam Powell » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:50 am

-
Last edited by Adam Powell on Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam Powell
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:56 am

Did the winner also get Mr. Peterson's mountain of debt along with his failing restaurant? I hope it works out for the owner there fulfilling a lifelong dream and all but my money is on Peterson pulling a fast one here.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:02 am

I get the heebies about this place, because of the history as a game show stunt but also at the use of inside-restaurant lingo as the name. It all seems a little put-upon; it feels like we're being convinced that it's a real restaurant and not the Rock-afire Explosion.

And Adam, I think the "supposedly 'nice'" bit is in reference to that lingo-y name, which is supposed to signify a luxurious or fancy small dish.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby d2drums » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:23 am

It all just reeks to me. First of all, that location, for whatever reason, is doomed. Nothing has been able to make it fly. And what was the exact reason for this Chris Peterson chump to open an upscale skee-ball "eatery" in the first place? Was this his intent all along? To get involved with some supposed reality show? Questions...questions. And, what happens when this new joint circles the drain? Does Peterson just re open it as yet another doomed eatery? it just seems like a straight up front.
d2drums

Postby Adam Powell » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:48 pm

-
Last edited by Adam Powell on Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam Powell
Forum Addict

Postby d2drums » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:51 pm

^^^ Wait, isn't that a promo shot for "Scatz'?
d2drums

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:38 pm

I don't disagree. That kind of picture doesn't really belong on any restaurant's website. It's a Facebook page kind of shot. However:

Linda Falkenstein wrote:Kickshaw will be serving dinner; there will also be a special chef's menu which will change monthly. These will be a chance for chef Colin Beaumier to "take on more of a fine dining approach," says Keyzers.

http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/artic ... icle=27029

Samara Kalk Derby wrote:Kickshaw means “fancy food” or “delicacy,” and it’s an appropriate name for the creative new restaurant that opened Oct. 5 in the old Fitch’s Chophouse and Good Times space in Fitchburg.

http://host.madison.com/entertainment/d ... 854b0.html
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bikinchef » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:47 pm

You can tell the chef worked at Sanford. Nothing is more blatant then Sandy's leek wrapped salmon or scallops. The pics don't wow me, everything looks cold and contrived? I am sorry that Madtown is consistently missing the mark on cool concepts and really inventive food. This place will fail too.
Not sour grapes, I just know when world-class chefs are getting ripped off.
bikinchef

Postby d2drums » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:25 pm

What boggles my mind is the fact that these people supposedly "won" this make believe culinary reality show, and the "prize' is them being able to run a dream restaurant for how ever long it is the powers-that-be intend to keep fronting the money. Aren't we in tight economic times? How does this fit into reality? I've always wondered about the "winners" of shows like Hells Kitchen and Top Chef... are they really running their own restaurants? I have to assume that after the funding for this venture runs out, all involved are going to be F'd in the A. Does it even matter what kind of food is coming out of the kitchen at this place? Couldn't they hypothetically serve steaming piles of dog doo night after night without consequence? Someone shed some light on this "fantasy Island" bullsh*t!!
d2drums

Postby Adam Powell » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:13 am

-
Adam Powell
Forum Addict

Postby sydgrl » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:27 pm

d2drums wrote:What boggles my mind is the fact that these people supposedly "won" this make believe culinary reality show, and the "prize' is them being able to run a dream restaurant for how ever long it is the powers-that-be intend to keep fronting the money. Aren't we in tight economic times? How does this fit into reality? I've always wondered about the "winners" of shows like Hells Kitchen and Top Chef... are they really running their own restaurants? I have to assume that after the funding for this venture runs out, all involved are going to be F'd in the A. Does it even matter what kind of food is coming out of the kitchen at this place? Couldn't they hypothetically serve steaming piles of dog doo night after night without consequence? Someone shed some light on this "fantasy Island" bullsh*t!!

In the case of Top Chef, some of the winners do open their own restaurants, Harold (1st season) owns a restaurant in NYC and Ilan (2nd season) has a place in LA. Several contestants on this and past seasons already owned their own restaurants and many are sous chefs/chefs de cuisine. So, I wouldn't lump Top Chef into whatever category of "reality show" gimmick Kickshaw grew out of.
sydgrl
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews