MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Monday, July 14, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 74.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

MATC Culinary Arts Program Review: Not Fair

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: MATC Culinary Arts Program Review: Not Fair

Postby mrak » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:02 pm

Stebben84 wrote:Funny thing is that this review makes me want to give it a try. This article might bruise some egos at best, but a crappy review of a restaurant can kill it's business.

Same here. I've always wanted to try out the Gourmet Dining Room, but I never investigated the limited days/hours they served.

This story let me know that I could make a reservation online, and that (1) I was probably in for a generally solid experience that may be interrupted by a few moments of shakiness, and (2) that I should allow a bit more time than my typical lunch hour.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:21 pm

john_titor wrote:Actually, yes,17-21 year old people can be unsure about a lot of things. Plus most people's grades aren't posted on the internet.

Do you even get that a big part of "arts" programs is being critiqued in and outside of the classroom. It's actually a lot more embarrassing to have your work called "shit" in front of your peers where they know who you are, than it is to have somebody post an objective piece in the Isthmus. I didn't see grades posted. She is not grading them, their instructors are.

I'm wondering if you know someone who was part of this dinner, read this, and is now sulking in a corner somewhere.

p.s. I had my work called "shit" in front of my peers. It sucked, but I realized the instructor was correct and it helped me make better work.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:25 pm

And let's make sure it's known that Forum was on this "shit" years ago.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=20460
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Athena » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:44 pm

I thought the review was fairly positive. It sounded like the meal wasn't perfect but it was still good and worth the cost. It did sound like the author realized it would be a bit of an adventure so I don't think she was as harsh as she would have been if she had been eating at a regular restaurant. It made the Dining Room sound worth a trip if I had the time during the day to experiment with my lunch a bit.
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby Adam Powell » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:47 pm

If you've ever cooked in a restaurant under a demanding chef, you've suffered all manner of subtle and unsubtle barbs. I've heard condemnations issued in a quiet, measured tone that chill my blood to this very day. (In my experience, the better chefs actually don't go off like Gordon Ramsay, but they sure as heck prod you towards improving your work on a nightly basis).

A big part of doing well on the line in a real kitchen is enduring ice cold analysis, brutal dismissal, and the occasional barrage of high intensity invective two inches from your ear and still responding with a hearty "yes, chef!"
Adam Powell
Forum Addict

Postby juice » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:48 pm

Stebben84 wrote:I know people in the kitchen get paid. As a student of the arts, I would have killed to have a student show reviewed in the newspaper. Good or bad. It brings people in.

At what point will they "have their shit together"

Funny thing is that this review makes me want to give it a try. This article might bruise some egos at best, but a crappy review of a restaurant can kill it's business.

Ok. Alumni here. Let's get our facts straight.

I think both Linda and you might be forgetting we're talking about students here. Nobody's getting paid. Your $17 goes to pay for the food/education costs, and any tip goes into a fund for student trips or new equipment.

And john, 17-21 is not the age range we're talking about here. My graduating class was more like ages 18-55.

Next, it's a learning experience. You don't learn anything by your customer replying "everything is nice, thank you." These students want to know exactly what you liked and what you didn't. There are review cards at every place setting for this. Write it down, or less directly, post an article on the internets. If it's too nasty for some students, then they should stick to cooking for their loving families. Like program director and chef Paul Short told me, "you're only as good as your last dish."

There's really no business to be ruined here. The aspiring chefs will be cooking something for their grade whether you take advantage of it or not. Like said earlier, there's a waiting list should you choose not to.

But if you do go, don't hold back. The reason they're paying tuition now is to realize and iron out their flaws in an educational setting, rather than being yelled at by a chef or trashed by a critic in the real world.

Lastly, my two cents. Linda's review was from the menu called "Essentials." I prefer, during the fall semester, the first menu "Fundamentals," for it's roasted chicken with summer squash, or the last one, “Nuevo Latino,” for the cumin-scented skirt steak. It’s all good in the spring semester though, with either a Thomas Keller menu or the weekly market-inspired one. Happy eating :)
juice

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:42 pm

juice wrote:I think both Linda and you might be forgetting we're talking about students here. Nobody's getting paid. Your $17 goes to pay for the food/education costs, and any tip goes into a fund for student trips or new equipment.

I have a friend who was a student in the culinary dept., worked in the kitchen at the Truax Campus and was getting paid. It may not have been for the "gourmet dining room" so I may have gotten those facts mixed up.

How dare you criticize me on the forum in front of all these people. I may never post again.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bassbari » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:30 pm

john_titor wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:Actually, yes,17-21 year old people can be unsure about a lot of things.
At what point will they "have their shit together"

When they have graduated and are working at a restaurant?

17 - 21 year olds. How assuming that only people fresh out of high school are the only students. What about the non trads 21+? They make up a large percentage of MATC as well as the University System. Most people are unsure of a lot.
bassbari
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:39 pm

Your attribution is a mess in that quotation.

...Sorry, I shouldn't have criticized your post in public.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:02 pm

Being critiqued is an essential part of the education process. Failure to do so is a disservice to the student. If the students go on to work in a restaurant, chances are they will have their work reviewed in print at some point or another. It's a good experience for the students to have their work reviewed during their education process, hopefully this will not be their last review.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:26 pm

bassbari wrote:If you don't want to be a guinea pig for a meal, stay away.

For a moment I was hopeful I could get cuy in town.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews