MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, October 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 55.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Indoor running tracks?

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Indoor running tracks?

Postby edbeaty » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:42 pm

Hey! I'm looking for a warm place to run laps this winter. I know the Princeton West has a track, but are there others, preferably for free, in the Madison area?
Thanks,
Ed
edbeaty

Re: Indoor running tracks?

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:18 pm

I run on the nice track in the UW's Shell gym, but it ain't free. I bought a discounted domestic partner pass courtesy of my grad student domestic partner.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:36 pm

No, the shell ain't free, but it's pretty darn cheap, and in my opinion the best place in town to run indoors. Last year I bought a pass that was valid from January to mid May for somewhere around $130? Perfect, considering late December is the time of year I tend to wuss out when it comes to running outside.

I don't know of any places that give it away for free.

Edit:
$137 this year...
http://www.recsports.wisc.edu/membership/genpublic.html
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:17 am

Both Princeton Clubs have tracks, but they ain't cheap.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:35 am

$137 isn't a bad deal at all. I wonder if they let people run barefoot on the indoor track? That would really help my winter training.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:58 pm

Well that sucks. They require you to wear running shoes on the indoor track. That makes zero sense, considering that there is zero evidence that running shoes do anything other than harm your feet:

the effect of running shoes on joints
http://www.pmrjournal.org/article/S1934-1482(09)01367-7/fulltext
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:22 pm

Maybe a pair of these?

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/indexNA.cfm

I can only imagine how much flesh that track would remove from the bottom of someones feet.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:26 pm

I have a pair of those, and I do occasionally run in them, but they won't even allow those.

I've run on outdoor tracks before, the indoor track is a similar surface. It isn't my favorite surface to run on, but it doesn't damage my feet at all.

I got in a couple of barefoot miles in on the treadmill at my gym, that felt good, at least. The treadmill surface is far worse than a track surface, for some reason.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:16 pm

Galoot wrote:I have a pair of those, and I do occasionally run in them, but they won't even allow those.

Did someone at the Shell tell you this? What is the rationalization? I've worn my 5 fingers there a couple times with no problems.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:27 pm

Yeah, Massimo, I called the shell and asked, and the guy who answered the phone said that runners are required to wear actual running shoes (although he called them tennis shoes). I asked if I could wear socks, and he said no.

If you've run there in your 5 fingers, that's great information. Thanks! How do you like them for running? I've run around Lake Monona in mine, and they were pretty comfortable.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:32 am

The guy you talked may have no idea what he's talking about. I'm guessing he misunderstood what you were describing, probably though you were talking about some sort of fancy socks or something.

Anyway, I never thought to ask anyone, but nobody's ever given me trouble. Granted, I've only worn them twice, for a couple miles each time.

Right now I'm in the break-in phase with my VFFs. Not breaking the shoes in, mind you, but breaking myself in. For the last year I've been having on again off again problems with my IT bands and hips, and I read about the VFFs and barefoot running and how normal running shoes may have a hand in causing chronic running problems, so I figured I had nothing to lose by giving them a shot. We'll see!
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking