MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, July 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 66.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Bakery review started on the Batch posting

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Bakery review started on the Batch posting

Postby kulgar » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:57 pm

Someone asked me to review Manna Bakery after I disputed that Batch was selling "morning buns" which are really pecan covered "sticky buns".

One child's opinions:

Best bakery: LaBaguette - traditional French bakery with incredible pastries (the Rum Baba is illegal in Utah), credible quiches and a great variety of traditional French breads. The wine list looks great but I've never really eaten there, it's snatch and dash way out on the soulless west side. If they could import French ingredients, it would be incomparable.

Second tier: Lazy Jane's - the authentic morning buns and the out of this world scones, even the day old product is divine. Wish they would offer the "carryout only" express service again, those Willy St regulars that can't figure out what to order after five minutes in line drive me nuttier.

Third tier:

LaBrioche - the morning buns are authentic but they don't offer the 'naked' version. The breads are good but not LaBaguette level.

Batch - I like their products, just wish their labelling was correct, that's a sticky bun!

Manna - did an office tasting, the sticky bun is correctly labelled, they don't sell "morning buns". The muffins are a joy but that scone crumbled into four thousand pieces and makes me think it was baked yesterday, that's a sin.

Seventh level of hell: Clasen's, Copp's and even Gallup way out in Verona because their coffee is so bitter the stainless steel thermos bottles rot out in weeks and they pass off day old scones as "fresh".

Honorable mention: that guy who bakes at Restaurant Muramoto is a genius, those dessert sampler platters are divine.

Before anyone goes all George Bush on me, "one child's opinion".
kulgar
Forum Addict

Re: Bakery review started on the Batch posting

Postby holyghost » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:38 pm

I still don't get why others are so thrilled with La Baguette...guess I'll have to give it another chance.

Don't forget the Silly Yak bakery. They have both cinnamon rolls and pecan rolls (<---- to die for, with a carmelized top).

And I must say, guiltily, that the cake slices at WH are awesome. They are heavy on the frosting, which is fine by me :)
holyghost

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:39 pm

holyghost wrote:I still don't get why others are so thrilled with La Baguette...guess I'll have to give it another chance.

Because they're incroyable.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:18 pm

holyghost wrote:I still don't get why others are so thrilled with La Baguette...guess I'll have to give it another chance.

Because, as kulgar hinted, travelling to La Baguette is almost like travelling to Utah. (It's as if the owners saw the beltway and just gave up – reasonably assuming it was the western edge of the world.)

And after such an arduous westward trek, who wouldn't be charmed at being greeted in French and served pâtisseries? I mean, you'd expect fermented mare's milk and a salutation in Mongolian. (Which are well and good, but when you've got a hankering for a pain de seigle, well ... )

I just wish they'd open a satellite bakery in Madison ...
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jackisonian » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:12 am

Not a mention of Scott's on U, ok it's is in Middleton but it is awesome and not cheap but worth it.
jackisonian
Forum Addict

Postby greeneyedlady » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:08 am

I also like Madison Sourdough's croissants (second place after La Baguette) and danishes.
greeneyedlady

Scott's

Postby kulgar » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:01 am

I tried Scott's a number of times but always had this overwhelming puffed sugar with an old lard aftertaste, never thought them worth the calories. Reminded me of upscale grocery store commercial products.

I'll give them another shot...
kulgar
Forum Addict

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews