MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, July 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Why Bo didn't recruit Maymon

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Why Bo didn't recruit Maymon

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:19 am

Maymon leaving Marquette

Manpower has reached a critical level for the Marquette Golden Eagles roughly three weeks before the start of Big East play after Jeronne Maymon unexpectedly quit the team Monday.

Williams' recruitment of Maymon raised the eyebrows of some who believed he was an academic risk and a player who didn't play with maximum effort at all times. And while Maymon's effort on the surface didn't appear to be questionable, his effectiveness was, as he struggled getting shots off against taller, more athletic players in the paint.

I wonder if Vander Blue now has second thoughts about de-committing from UW and orally committing to Marquette.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Why Bo didn't recruit Maymon

Postby O.J. » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:41 am

Henry Vilas wrote:I wonder if Vander Blue now has second thoughts about de-committing from UW and orally committing to Marquette.

He's more than orally committed(signed a letter of intent) and I doubt it.

During the game Saturday, I remarked how happy I'd be if Maymon or Blue never get to experience victory against the Badgers. One down, one to go.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:48 am

I'm wondering if Memorial HS is raising a bunch of whining headcases.

We're better off without either of them.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:27 pm

HeyZeus wrote:I'm wondering if Memorial HS is raising a bunch of whining headcases.

You know, they're still just kids. And, I don't know if this is really true, but Maymon believed he was promised a starting spot. If he was, the recruiting was a little suspect, to say the least.

That said, for me, Marquette is the basketball equivalent of the Vikings, so I love it when we beat them, and I do feel some satisfaction when Madison players who choose to go there end up questioning the choice.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:43 pm

gargantua wrote:
HeyZeus wrote:I'm wondering if Memorial HS is raising a bunch of whining headcases.

You know, they're still just kids. And, I don't know if this is really true, but Maymon believed he was promised a starting spot. If he was, the recruiting was a little suspect, to say the least.

That's fine. Though, I'm inclined to believe an adult coach over a teenage player. I doubt any coach would commit a starting position from the get-go freshman year.

Someone should tell these little a-holes the story of Sam Okey. Sam's ego got the best of him and last I heard, he was working at a car wash in/near his hometown. It's hard to be a "has been" when you're a "never was."
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:11 pm

HeyZeus wrote:Though, I'm inclined to believe an adult coach over a teenage player

Right. 'Cause the college basketball coaching fraternity is so jam packed with stand-up guys. Cough! Rick Pitino, John Calipari, Jim Calhoun, Kelvin Sampson, etc., etc. cough!

There are gray areas over what kids are promised, but it's completely believable to me that a coach would use some silky language to get a kid to believe that he was going to be a starter when, in fact, the coach was just telling him he was going to get the chance to earn a starting spot.

Here's the truth about Maymon: He's an excellent, ambitious player who finds himself in a system that is not set up to deliver him the ball. At Marquette right now, he's a screen setter who gets his shots from the offensive glass. Maybe if he sticks with the team he can become a more integral part of the flow, get the ball in transition and up his minutes this year. As he develops and takes on more leadership, he'll be a bigger part of the strategy. But Marquette plays in the Big East and Buzz has to bring him along a little first. Maymon is coming out of a system where he's been "the man" on the best team in the state for two straight years. He was also "the man" on one of the most impressive AAU teams in the region.

But I can't understand why guys like HeyZeus are so resentful of 18-year old kids. Is it a jealousy thing? I watched Maymon play a lot of ball over the last three years and found him to be as cocky as any exceptional high school kid in any arena. But instead of being in westside Madison now around his friends and family every day, he's down the road in Milwaukee going to a school with strangers and playing on a team where he's not the featured piece. That's pretty hard.

Another story today says his dad wasn't aware of this news and was going to Milwaukee to talk to Jeronne about it. 10 years ago, this kind of development wouldn't play out in the media like this. But I'm disappointed in the level of schadenfreude associated with it. This kid was not recruited by Wisconsin for whatever reason, yet some around here seem to only wish him the worst at the school he chose.

Does boldly leading a Madison high school team to a state title mean nothing?

Personally, I think he'd be a great fit in Bo's swing offense. He's a hard-working, proven rebounder who is a very nice passer with a decent shot. Plus, he's got some post moves. But there's obviously much more to being on Bo's team than playing well in games. And it's clear from everything I've read that Ryan doesn't make promises to recruits (he alluded to this in a recent presser, so I wonder if he got early news about this).
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:40 pm

jjoyce wrote:But I can't understand why guys like HeyZeus are so resentful of 18-year old kids. Is it a jealousy thing?

Geez J, enable much? I guess I'm not into egomaniacs and crybabies.

If it was just Maymon, I'd say it's a cocky young kid who's delusional about where (as a newbie) he should be in Marquette's system. Then we get Vander Blue, from the same high school, who holds his own presser to inform the public that he isn't too stupid to go to the UW. Bro, that's what blogs are for.

Maymon's not that deep into his FIRST SEASON as a college baller and he wants to start and play all 40 minutes?? What happened to proving oneself?

You're old enough to know better, jjoyce. Stop enabling bad behavior.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:04 pm

O.J. wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:I wonder if Vander Blue now has second thoughts about de-committing from UW and orally committing to Marquette.

He's more than orally committed(signed a letter of intent) and I doubt it.

The Journal-Sentinel article I cited says he is only orally committed to Marquette.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:23 pm

He orally committed in October; he had to wait until Nov. 11 to officially sign.

http://host.madison.com/sports/college/ ... 03286.html
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:29 pm

Vander Blue has signed a letter of intent.

As for enabling, are you kidding me?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:00 pm

jjoyce wrote:As for enabling, are you kidding me?

No.

If I understand you correctly, Maymon no longer needed to prove himself to the world of basketball the day he won a high school championship.

Whatever happened to putting in the work and effort, then getting rewarded? It sounds like you want Maymon to be rewarded and hope for the best.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:49 pm

I take it from that response and your overall attitude toward this kid that you feel he doesn't work hard and hasn't worked hard. How do you know this?

This is a common complaint from the Badger fan base. Kids who are really good who don't appear to be trying hard on the court get trashed on message boards. Did you watch Maymon play in the last two state tournaments when he fought for rebounds and put-backs, often taking the ball to the hoop tucked in his elbow like a running back?

It's funny: I was at a Madison East football game a couple months ago watching Marquis Mason catching every ball thrown to him. A couple of chowderheads sitting behind me started trashing him. "I bet he's got some kind of ego," says one. "Believe it," says the other. All I could think about was whether I'd seen a more dominant wide receiver in a high school game.

Several years back, I watched the Flowers brothers do what they wanted on defense against Janesville Craig. On one steal, Michael took a couple dribbles and then threw the ball off the glass for Jonte to slam. The gym was rocking. Two Janesville chumps behind me called them "thugs."

My point is that you don't know these kids, you don't know what motivates them or what they're like with their families and friends, let alone what goes on between them and their college coaches. Everything I've ever seen from these kids indicates loyalty to their schools, friends and teammates and a joy for playing. The really good ones want the best possible opportunity out of playing in college. If you were in their position, wouldn't you want the same?

My guess here is that Maymon didn't want to play center in college and talked about that with Buzz during recruitment. Isn't that probably among the first subjects? Developments have forced the issue and he's probably not happy now and maybe he's getting bad messages from Buzz. Is he not allowed to be happy? As with a coach, like Tom Crean who originally recruited Jeronne, is he not allowed to look elsewhere?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:35 pm

jjoyce wrote:I take it from that response and your overall attitude toward this kid that you feel he doesn't work hard and hasn't worked hard...

Sorry, but he does appear to have a bad attitude. If you act like a baby, imma callin' you on it. Two months into the basketball season of his freshman year, dude is already complaining about playing time. It's pretty rare that an attitude like that will improve.

In his junior year, Vander Blue held his own press conference to make sure people knew he was academically eligible to play for the UW. Since when to hs students hold their own pressers?

Both Spartans, while talented athletes are taking on the attitudes of being entitled prima-donnas. Maybe it's not the kids, maybe it's Memorial's program.

We've all seen talented high school athletes turn to piss in college. And the same for college athletes when they turn pro. The list is long and less than distinguished.

What I'm saying is why not go in, do the work and be rewarded with more playing time? As opposed to walking in and expecting that everything be handed to you?

We can see how this plays out, but my money is that it doesn't.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:05 pm

Now you're just being ridiculous. Of course, the presser wasn't necessary. But the kid had just experienced three days of having his personal reputation trashed on local websites, talk radio, etc. Plus, he'd had someone report as fact details from a private meeting with a school guidance counselor.

I was at that press conference and the point of it was to make it clear that he was going to open up his recruitment again after lots of inaccurate speculation.

Is that his fault? Perhaps by extension of being good at basketball, it is.

As for Maymon: If I go to college to be an engineer and am told that I'm accepted into electrical engineering, but after a few weeks start getting transferred into English classes because the dean thought that's where I'd be a better fit, I'd make some noise about it. I might leave school.

Same goes here. The top reason Maymon is going to Marquette is to play basketball and if it was an agreed-upon condition that he would start at the three from day one and he's now coming off the bench at the five, then that doesn't have anything to do with work.

And let's be clear: the kid has said nothing! Only Buzz, a guy who essentially got the job on an interim basis and is right on the edge of losing his job if he can't win with his own guys, is speaking up and even he's not saying much.

But you're willing to trash a kid, and anonymously so, because you think he's lazy and a baby.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:18 pm

As a Madison West grad, I'd like to remind you all that Memorial punks are always punks. Fuck those punks.

Kidding. Kidding. Not kidding.. But seriously, jjoyce said all that needed to be said in one sentence:

jjoyce wrote:And let's be clear: the kid has said nothing!

Bingo! jjoyce knows nothing. HeyZeus knows nothing. I know nothing and neither does anybody else. He's a freaking kid. All kinds of shit can be happening with him and we have no clue as to what it is.

But despite all the extra and unnecessary blather, this is still the most intelligent active thread today.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking