MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 66.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Why Bo didn't recruit Maymon

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Re: Why Bo didn't recruit Maymon

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:47 pm

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:23 am

It seems like the best thing that could happen to Jeronne would be a transfer away from his father, not Marquette. Tim Maymon believes that Central Florida could make it to the Final Four, and do some damage, if his son were to transfer there. Dude's in for some disappointment once he realizes his gravy train won't be playing in the NBA.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:26 am

He should just say fuck it and go the Brandon Jennings route. Obviously dad would appreciate the cash and it would be better for him than failing out of college. He could focus on basketball and capitalize financially on it before its too late to that at all.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:08 am

Except Jennings was a top-five draft pick (not top five college recruit) out of high school. Maymon is, what, a top-100 player?

I'm on record as saying I think Maymon is an excellent player, clearly the top senior in the state last year. The fact that he was getting double-digit minutes with a good Big East program is evidence of that.

But yeah, clearly his expectations are a little out of whack. And unlike others here, I'm not going to excuse the coach just because he's a coach. I think it's entirely possible that Buzz Williams could have promised more than he could/would deliver to get Maymon on board.

This is exactly why Bo Ryan is often the exception among college coaches; he doesn't make promises to recruits.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:48 pm

The thing that bothers me about this is the extent to which everything is about Maymon. Apparently, the purpose of the coaching staff and his teammates are to get him the ball and put HIM in a position to succeed. The team is short-handed and needs him to play a different role? Too bad for them.

I don't care how good you are, most collegiate teams are better without selfish players than with them. And the one thing that has come through loud and clear here is selfishness.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:46 pm

The Maymon situation reminds me of Kentucky phenom John Wall, who's AAU coach lobbied UNC HARD for a spot in this year's freshman class. He demanded a starting spot and a specific amount of playing time, and Roy Williams refused to commit to these demands. When recruiting time came, UNC did not recruit Wall. Yeah, they knew he was gonna be great, but they also knew he would play a year and split for the NBA. They knew his homies would be pissy about playing time, so they just ignored him. A classy thing to do, I think, in this day and age of prima donnas and heavy pressure to win at all costs. I guess 2 NCAA Championships in 5 years makes it a bit easier to turn down talent...but let's face it, Maymon isn't an impact player like Wall. Hell, neither is Blue. Ryan made a good call, and MU will be happier without Maymon in the long run.

Central Florida? Are they even considered to be a mid-major????
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Goober McTuber » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:33 am

I guess I’m not sold on the coaching at Memorial. You look at their teams from 2004-2009 and they had the talent to win at least 4 titles. I watched all of those tournaments and it seems to me that their coach does not have a clue as when to call a timeout.

They’d get big leads and then piss them away, and the coach would never want to call a timeout to stop the bleeding. Maybe he’s not that strong on teaching fundamentals either. He’s gotten by for years just on the immense flow of talent into that program.
Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Postby jjoyce » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:38 pm

You make an interesting point about Memorial. Allow me to ask one back: Is it easier to coach a team that has middling talent, or manage the egos, touches, playing time of a team with a lot of talent?

With the former, you get buy-in. Organization is the key to playing better and all you have to do is sell the kids on the idea that they're over achieving in your system. But with Memorial, you've got a few different eras. First was Wesley Matthews and Michael Nelson. Those guys were stars and extremely coachable with some really solid role players. Next comes Nankivil, also a superstar who got muscled a little by Andy Polka from Oshkosh West, I feel. They were still got to the finals, however.

Next is the Maymon/Blue era. Two years ago, when Maymon was a junior and Blue and Tre Creamer were a sophomores, they suffered from Maymon taking over the team and nobody else stepping up. Last year, Maymon shared the ball, got his teammates involved and Blue (with the UW's stamp of approval) asserted himself more. He had also gained a lot of muscle and grew a few inches. Unstoppable team. The core had all played AAU ball together, and very successfully. The coach had to get them to play with Junior Lomomba, phenom in his own right, but sort of an outsider.

The idea, I think, is to manage the chaos. Sometimes they throw the ball all over the gym, but they can turn it on defensively and also do some brilliant things in transition. That's not easy to coach, or reign in. Especially when you have kids who are going D-I and might have some strong ideas about how to play the game that don't necessarily match the coach's. Add a strong AAU coach to the mix, maybe a dad who is very vocal....

All I know is that I love watching Memorial teams play. And this year, the games between them and East are going to be phenomenal.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:48 pm

jjoyce wrote: Last year, Maymon shared the ball, got his teammates involved and Blue (with the UW's stamp of approval) asserted himself more.

Are you suggesting that Vander only asserted himself at the behest of Bo Ryan?
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Goober McTuber » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:03 pm

jjoyce wrote:You make an interesting point about Memorial. Allow me to ask one back: Is it easier to coach a team that has middling talent, or manage the egos, touches, playing time of a team with a lot of talent?

From what I've seen, I doubt that Steve Collins could do either very well. Just my opinion from watching every state tournament game they have played. They won two state titles despite their coach.
Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Postby LLUrbanUnderachiever » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:12 pm

Maymon Transfers to Tennessee

Makes sense given the recent thinning of their roster.
LLUrbanUnderachiever
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking