MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 41.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

That's Sooooo Madison Photo contest???

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Re: That's Sooooo Madison Photo contest???

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:36 am

I'll have to agree. I'm only so-so on stormin's shots but the First place photo doesn't have much to do with Madison and doesn't stand up against most of the rest of that slide show.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:45 am

"Suspect" is an interesting adjective.

I'm not sure I would have picked the winner, but there's no doubt that it fits the contest's title. Who hasn't laid down on their back to get a better view of the dome's innards? It's a deliberate attempt to look at something from a different point of view. Very Madison.

Judgment is the key here, as obviously a committee of people saw the winner and nailed as being "sooo Madison," while rejecting Stormin's photo entirely.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Goober McTuber » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:49 am

I wish I had entered the Eastwood bypass thread. Yeah, it’s not a photo, but it’s soooooo Madison.
Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Postby Endo Rockstar » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:50 am

It's a good photo.....read: it's in focus. It's a photo I'd glance at quickly and move on from if it was in the middle of a slide show that my buddy was showing me from "his big trip to Madison over the summer."

The Subject matter is the problem. You captured an image that every Madison resident has seen ten-thousand times. The trick every photographer dreads is finding a perspective people won't see unless you show them.

Check out Dave Esmond's stuff on flickr. The dude has a rare eye for detail.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby stormin » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:59 am

I apologize for not knowing how to reply to each individual poster but here goes...
Sorry Dan -- not the black and white one with the bikes in the foreground but rather the color photo that followed.
Thanks to whoever posted the photo in there I appreciate that.

I appreciate the comments about the juror -- good to know info

fisticuffs -- I appreciate your enthusiasm

To all the others -- ok so the photo may have been cliche but in a sooo Madison thing -- I see state st being busy with activity -- a poster of Obama representing our (speaking for Madison) progressive attitude - -we got the big "O" for the Orpheum (sp), a little bit of Nicks rest., one way sign which we are sometimes known for and even an optometrist sign to go along with the forward "looking" lady. So you can see how I thought it might represent the Mad city just slightly...
Peace

stormin

stormin

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:01 pm

I have never in my life seen a photo depicting Madison, WI that looked like that. Either this person is a sock or...
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Laboratory » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:10 pm

jjoyce wrote:"Suspect" is an interesting adjective.

Interesting because?
Laboratory

Postby dave esmond » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:32 pm

Endo Rockstar wrote:Check out Dave Esmond's stuff on flickr. The dude has a rare eye for detail.

Thanks Dan.

It's always nice to know someone else besides me likes my stuff. I pretty much just shoot what I find interesting without any worry about anyone else likes.

I don't enter contests because as someone else said I'm always surprised by what wins, especially when it's me. My favorite example was a friend in art school who didn't get a painting into the student art show in Green Bay, yet the exact same painting made it into the Wisconsin Triennial.

You can't guess what someone else is gonna like. So I don't bother trying. I'm hard enough to please as it is.

There's some really nice stuff in the winners of this one. There's a lot of great photograhers in this town.

My personal go to shooter for "sooo Madison" shots is Olive Talique.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/olive_talique/
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:49 pm

What, no one could focus a lens on someone walking a dog off leash, wearing sandals and a baseball cap, listening to an ipod, holding an iphone out in front of their face with one hand, and in the other a cloth co-op bag AND a plastic bag of dog shit. On the bike path.

Now that's sooo Madison.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:19 pm

The photo's merely OK. I'm hardened after working years at a photo lab though. I think the similar one Damn Motor posted is better, though the way that one branch sticks out still bugs me. I'm sorry - your baby wasn't the cutest.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Scotty » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:59 pm

stormin wrote:Here is a link to the pic.
http://picasaweb.google.com/normspics6/ ... 3718293474

The great icon of Madison photography is, without a doubt, the State Capitol. Its dome, which has doubled for the nation's Capitol in major motion pictures, dominates both the skyline and the imaginations of the city's image-makers. It says "Madison" the way nothing else really does. But how do you take a fresh look at the Capitol?

Put a tree branch across the center?

Did I win?
Scotty
Forum Addict

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:34 pm

You CUT the people in HALF! You SEVERED their TORSOS! Augh!
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby stormin » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:10 am

Dust Mite Rodeo wrote:You CUT the people in HALF! You SEVERED their TORSOS! Augh!

Now, why wouldn't That Be SOOoooo Madison? I mean for reals man.... Dude, I woulda been happy to make it in the powerpoint presentation with all the other misfit photos. Guess I will just have to go sulk....
Peace out...
stormin

Postby lolagirl » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:53 am

After reviewing the winners - IMHO they are much better pictures both thematically and as art. Stormin, no disrespect meant, but your picture seems pretty generic. What I liked about many of the ones that won was that they took some thought. The picture of the father and son laying on their backs to see the inside of the Capitol dome is a very clever way of making you think differently about a subject that's been photographed a lot. Same with many others. I know it's all relative, but if I were on the judging panel I would not have included the picture from Stormin.
lolagirl
Forum Addict

Postby bluethedog » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:08 am

Based on the "Sooooo" part of the contest title I assumed they were looking for photos that were slightly mocking.

Using that criteria the "This toilet uses recycled water" photo gets 1st place.
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com