MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 66.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Seriously, Lueders?

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Seriously, Lueders?

Postby Stomach » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:32 pm

http://www.thedailypage.com/isthmus/art ... 7e60893365

Last Laugh Award: Brett Favre
After pulling what he's pulled before, No. 4 got shown the door, so he ended up playing for whatever teams would have him. Was there something more unthinkable than seeing him in a Minnesota Vikings' jersey? Yes — seeing him booed at Lambeau Field. The fans failed to show a little class, and Favre rubbed their noses in it, beating his old team twice in one of his all-time best seasons — so far. Once upon a time, Green Bay had the best fans and the best quarterback. Now, let's just say there's a need for some rebuilding.

Lueders, do you seriously think the Packer faithful should have cheered Favre in a Vikings jersey? You are aware that Favre chose to retire/leave the Packers and then lied and cajoled his way out of New York and into Brad Childress' waiting arms (after training camp, of course).

The Vikings are the Packers most hated rival and I wouldn't expect Packer fans to cheer for anybody in purple, especially not their legendary quarterback who specifically weaseled his way into Minnesota. Hating the Vikings is part of what makes being a Packer fan so much fun, I expect Minnesota fans feel the same way about the Packers.

Maybe one day Favre will be welcomed back into Lambeau to retire his jersey, and maybe then fans should be expected to cheer for him but until then I'll stick with the booing.

How could you expect anything else?
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Seriously, Lueders?

Postby MeLurkyLongTime » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:49 pm

Yes of course Favre gets booed as he should. Incidentally I was at yesterday's game and they inducted Mark Chumura into the Packer's hall of fame and paraded him out prior to kick off. Chumura was met with mostly silence, a smattering of applause, but a whole lot more booing.
MeLurkyLongTime
Forum Addict

Postby supaunknown » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:45 pm

I went to a Packers-Vikings game a couple years ago at Lambeau. Unlike other games where the crowd was pretty much joyous and friendly throughout, you could cut the tension with a knife for the Vikings contest. Saw a couple skirmishes break out in the walkways. Those teams and those fans simply don't like each other. Even at Soldier Field there seemed to be a natural simpatico and respect between Bears and Packer fans. Very little of that exists between the Packers and Vikings. Even after being the face of the franchise for an entire generation, I really don't know if Favre will ever win certain Packer fans back. He pretty much burned the 43 bridge when he went to the Vikings.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:51 pm

This is precisely why I ignore Mike Lucas' political commentary.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:53 pm

Yeah that's pretty weak. Been pretty disappointed with most of the Isthmus' year end stories. The best 10 DVD's of the year included Casablance which has been released 30 times on DVD since 1998. The article mentioned nothing at all about what set this collection apart. In fact only 1 of the top 10 DVD releases of the year actually debuted on DVD this year. The rest were all pre-1980 it seems and not one of them mentioned anything at all about why this DVD release was so deserving.
http://isthmus.com/daily/article.php?ar ... 746a1a6f85

This Brett v/ Pack thing has gone on for long enough. It's pretty simple you'd think even Bill Leuders could understand the basics of it. Packers fans roots for the Packers. End of discussion. You boo the guys in purple no matter who they are or how they got there and there's nothing "classless" about it.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:03 pm

Stomach wrote:Hating the Vikings is part of what makes being a Packer fan so much fun

I will never ever ever understand sports fans.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:34 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
Stomach wrote:Hating the Vikings is part of what makes being a Packer fan so much fun

Gotta hate somebody. Better it be over something relatively arbitrary like sports as opposed to race, creed, gender, orientation, etc.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:41 pm

Is this paper slowly being taken over from the inside? Slowly subsumed by a constant influx of Minnesotan heritage? Is the red banner going to turn purple some day soon?

That being said, I'm a little surprised at MeLurky's report of Chmura-booing. After his time doing radio commentary for Wisconsin ESPNRadio affiliates, I'd have thought his transgressions might be behind him.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:32 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Is this paper slowly being taken over from the inside? Slowly subsumed by a constant influx of Minnesotan heritage? Is the red banner going to turn purple some day soon?

That being said, I'm a little surprised at MeLurky's report of Chmura-booing. After his time doing radio commentary for Wisconsin ESPNRadio affiliates, I'd have thought his transgressions might be behind him.

No doubt. Isthmus has enough Minnesotans working for it to form their own hockey team. Somewhere blunt is rolling over in his grave.

Screw Republican-ass Chewy. He could've been one of the most beloved Packers ever but threw it all away for a big scarlet "R". Raping your babysitter on prom night is mighty low even by Polanski standards. He's fortunate that he was able to somehow buy off a couple high school football players to give conflicting testimony at the trial.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:40 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:... I'd have thought his transgressions might be behind him.

Tell that to Jim Gantner.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:42 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:I will never ever ever understand sports fans.

Like music fans, they have their selective prejudices.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:39 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:

Maybe so. But you appear to have the ability (not universally shared) to avoid commenting on that which you have no clue. A skill Lueders does not appear to have, for example.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:48 pm

O.J. wrote:This is precisely why I ignore Mike Lucas' political commentary.

I don't know, Tom Oates broke down the health care bill in a very clear and concise way that even I could understand. He compared it to the '69 Mets and it really all made sense to me for the first time.
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby indycoyote » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:25 am

I think Lueders bats about .375, which ain't bad if you're a baseball player. He should, however, stick to investigative journalism and stay away from sports....then that .375 avg might mean something...instead of riding the Patty laurels. But I do understand, Madison is a sleepy town and there isn't much for a carnivore to chew on.
indycoyote
Forum Addict

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking