MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 72.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Remasters

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.

Remasters

Postby MadMind75 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:15 pm

What is the latest year a remastered album has been issued?
When did the mastering ideas and digital recording tech catch up to the point of the original master being sufficient, and not really requiring a remaster? Anything post 199?

In some cases, is remastering nothing more than a marketing gimmick to get consumers to repurchase albums they already own?
Doesn't the recording and mastering process of the time link it to the era in which it was originally pressed? Therefore, as an unintended consequence, can't remastering an album take away from the uniqueness of the era in which it was first released?

Are there any remasters which you've found inferior or "less listenable" than it's original?
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Re: Remasters

Postby NullDevice » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:03 pm

Depeche Mode released a remaster of "Songs of Faith and Devotion", which came out in 93.

Remaster's pretty decent, too. Not terribly over-compressed or anything.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind75 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:50 pm

1994's 76:14 by Global Communication was remastered in 2005.

1995 or later anyone?
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby minicat » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:03 pm

Some of the vinyl "remasters" of '90s titles that originally didn't come out in the format have been pretty weak. Usually, it sounds like the problem is that they didn't remaster them for vinyl, but just used the CD masters ... which doesn't work.

The Neko Case LPs on Lance Rock are all like that ... really tinny, thin and distorted sounding.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind75 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:25 pm

I had no idea remasters were done specifically for vinyl, furthermore, I don't care. Unless you're a DJ who mixes and scratches, there's no reason anyone in this day and age should be purchasing vinyl.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:27 pm

MadMind75 wrote:Unless you're a DJ who mixes and scratches, there's no reason anyone in this day and age should be purchasing vinyl.

Thanks for condemning both my business and all my customers to irrelevancy. Appreciate it.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind75 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:11 pm

One can't even go 3 post's before the vinyl freaks come out of the woodwork around here!
"Vinyl sounds best", "Laserdisc looks better than full digital 1080p" - NO!!! This isn't a format war thread!

I guess I should've been more specific.
I was specifically talking about digital remasters on CD.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby Kyle Motor » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:13 pm

MadMind75 wrote:I had no idea remasters were done specifically for vinyl, furthermore, I don't care. Unless you're a DJ who mixes and scratches, there's no reason anyone in this day and age should be purchasing vinyl.

HAHAHAHAHA friggin' dumb.

Anyway, mastering for vinyl is a different process than for other formats (mainly because of the RIAA equalization curve that needs to be utilized for vinyl). So yes, mastering is done specifically for vinyl, which you have tactfully pointed out that nobody has any reason to purchase.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ko-Kayne » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:26 pm

MadMind75 wrote:I had no idea remasters were done specifically for vinyl, furthermore, I don't care. Unless you're a DJ who mixes and scratches, there's no reason anyone in this day and age should be purchasing vinyl.
ko-Kayne
Forum Addict

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:58 pm

MadMind75 wrote:One can't even go 3 post's before the vinyl freaks come out of the woodwork around here!
"Vinyl sounds best", "Laserdisc looks better than full digital 1080p" - NO!!! This isn't a format war thread!

Nobody said anything like that, of course.
You asked about remasters, minicat offered his expertise on the matter, then you made a snarky comment. The only person who engaged in format-bashing was you. It's one thing to say, "I don't care about vinyl", quite another to dismiss a very popular hobby with complete derision.

If you ask me, there's no reason why anyone in this day and age should bother trying to help out MadMind when he asks a question.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind75 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:04 pm

I have no problem with vinyl from a collector's standpoint. I just don't understand modern releases being issued on vinyl.
So how do they "remaster" something on vinyl? Take their latest digital master and make it try to sound more "analog"?
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby Peanutbutter » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:07 am

MadMind75 wrote:I just don't understand modern releases being issued on vinyl.

Because music on vinyl has better sound quality than music on a
CD.

A digital recording takes snapshots of the analog signal at a certain rate (for CDs it is 44,100 times per second) and measures each snapshot with a certain accuracy (for CDs it is 16-bit, which means the value must be one of 65,536 possible values).

This means that, by definition, a digital recording is not capturing the complete sound wave. It is approximating it with a series of steps. Some sounds that have very quick transitions, such as a drum beat or a trumpet's tone, will be distorted because they change too quickly for the sample rate.

A vinyl record has a groove carved into it that mirrors the original sound's waveform. This means that no information is lost. The output of a record player is analog. It can be fed directly to your amplifier with no conversion.

This means that the waveforms from a vinyl recording can be much more accurate, and that can be heard in the richness of the sound

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question487.htm

I'm not trying to get into a "format war", rather just stating the facts.
Peanutbutter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind75 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:01 pm

Oh good god here we go. I'm pretty sure that if I looked around online, I could find a pro-CD quote to counteract everything you just wrote. But I won't bother.
CD won the format war. Get over it. Hey, while we're at it, why don't we issue our new music in other obsolete formats like cassette and 8-track!

Back to the subject at hand. Digital remasters on CD.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby juanton » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:11 pm

Hey MadMind, aren't you still using Windows 95 or something?
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:16 pm

MadMind75 wrote:Oh good god here we go. I'm pretty sure that if I looked around online, I could find a pro-CD quote to counteract everything you just wrote. But I won't bother.
CD won the format war. Get over it. Hey, while we're at it, why don't we issue our new music in other obsolete formats like cassette and 8-track!

Back to the subject at hand. Digital remasters on CD.

Actually, CDs didn't win shit. They are on the way out.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to General Music