MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, July 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 64.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Las Cazuelas

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: Las Cazuelas

Postby kiwiwannabe » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:11 pm

Thanks for that - I was looking for hope, and you've given it to me!

I am definitely going to try this place out, but I'll go with friends who like the evil C-herb.
kiwiwannabe
Forum Addict

Postby Marvell » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:35 pm

kiwiwannabe wrote:I am definitely going to try this place out, but I'll go with friends who like the evil C-herb.

Cannabis?
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kiwiwannabe » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:38 pm

Someone's paying attention again.....how refreshing!
kiwiwannabe
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:27 pm

Another Mexican restaurant soon to open near the Square is the new La Mestiza. If it is as good as the Odana Road location, downtowners are in for a treat.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:48 pm

Is that what's going in by Casbah/Maduro? NICE!
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:55 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Another Mexican restaurant soon to open near the Square is the new La Mestiza. If it is as good as the Odana Road location, downtowners are in for a treat.

Good to know, as I can try them now that their painful ads on the Mic have ceased. "Ah, cactus!", indeed.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Cilantro, coriander, soap

Postby kulgar » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:55 pm

There's no proof that northern Europeans are more likely to be genetically predisposed to think it tastes like soap but it's probably not a topic the NSF is going to fund any time soon. There is enough anecdotal evidence that this is probable and the fact that it grows in southern Europe and around the Mediterranean reinforces my belief that this is correct.

I'll never forget when Candinas, during one of his madder moments, put coriander in an experimental batch of mint chocolates. I went back and bitched to his mother about "soap" in the chocolate and she gave me a third of a piece of the current batch and said they were fine. And then admitted that her son had put coriander in a previous batch. Swiss customer service is an oxymoron and that 1/3 of a chocolate is what I got in recompense for the inedible ones. Thank goodness for David Bacho.

I just read that 30% of northern Europeans have the gene for celiacs disease but most don't develop full blown symptoms. Maybe I'll give Silly Yak a couple more tries.....
kulgar
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:05 pm

Are you high?

Seriously, are you intoxicated?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Cilantro, coriander, soap

Postby Marvell » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:35 am

kulgar wrote:Swiss customer service is an oxymoron...

On behalf of my Helvetian forebearers I just want to say that this is all kinds of awesome.

Swiss Miss this, bitch...
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:49 pm

We went back there this week. The entrees were all disappointing this time - including the same fajitas we ordered last time. The cheese fondue was pretty good, at least. I got the mole enchiladas this time. They tasted like cinnamon buns because the sauce was so overly sweet and full of cinnamon. Two others at my table got steak items and both found the meat too tough and lacking in flavor.

Hopefully it was just an off day.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Soap, Candinas, Customer Service

Postby kulgar » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:11 pm

Stone cold sober.

Google or Bing "coriander" and see the debate on genetic predisposition, see Discover magazine for celiacs genetic prevalence. The point is that we aren't just what we eat, but that what we taste and can eat may be because of what we are.

I've been to Switzerland, cold and efficient but the Candinas family in Madison sets all sorts of records for "what are you doing in my shop" attitude. I dropped $500 on news skis, bindings, shoes and replacement bindings on an older pair of Sepp Sports skis. The damn expensive bindings froze under 20F, there was a large group at one of those Blue Mound candlelight skis that stood with their skis held over a bonfire to warm them up so they could use them again. Sepp's response was that "it's not my problem" and walked away. I thought he should at least know that he was selling bindings that left you stranded on the trail if you took them off and had no way to reheat them or he might suggest some sort of lubricant he could sell me to at least minimize the problem. I still use those bindings and they still freeze.

And drive out to PB and pray you don't have to deal with Mother Candinas who thinks it an imposition to make up a custom pack.
kulgar
Forum Addict

Postby O.J. » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:31 pm

I was under the impression the soapy sensation was only associated with fresh coriander(cilantro), not with the seed(which I am assuming was the ingredient added to the chocolate).
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Karmadogma » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:32 pm

We went there last night, and I have to say, it was an OK experience. Our waitress was worthless, and unable to answer any of our questions, nor did she offer to find anything out. They were so quick to tell us what all they were out of (several wines and avocados...You're kidding?? Avocados??) it threw us. The psole was way too picante, and there wasn't much other flavor than that - that, HOT. That is NOT how a psole is typically served, some picante, but not so much you taste nothing else - very little hominy in it. We also had the Pork with mole amarillo (yellow). It was tasty, but was more a cross between mole rojo and amarillo - sorry, needs more curry. We're willing to give it another shot, but if the service remains bad, and they're out of things (like basic to Mexican food) we won't be back, and they won't last. Please train your staff, when we ordered the Guacamole, and she said you were out, she asked if we wanted something else...she said, "what?" We said we needed to see the menu, and we never saw her again until the meal was delivered.
Karmadogma

Postby TAsunder » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:10 pm

What do you mean by "curry" exactly? I hope you don't mean "curry powder" which is an abomination that should be wiped off the face of the planet and never spoken of again. I still maintain that no respectable cook would ever use it, although I'm sure people will be quick to point out that Thomas Keller does or some such. Certainly no respectable Mexican cook...

I assume you just mean sauce??
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kayaker » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:29 pm

The food was great, but if you want to actually converse with your friends, call ahead to see if the mariachi band is scheduled to play. Even though we asked them to tone it down, we could not carry on a conversation with our friends. We went elsewhere for dessert. Somewhere quiet. The band was good, but overwhelmed us with decibels. I would suggest a nice quiet flamenco guitar in the bar, not 4 guys with loud instruments and voices table side.
kayaker

Previous

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews