MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, December 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 35.0° F  Overcast with Haze
Collapse Photo Bar

Metroid Prime 3

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Metroid Prime 3

Postby MadMind » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:05 pm

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

With a release date of today (Aug 27, 07), I'm interested to hear what they have to say about this one. I own and have played through the previous 2 primes and thoroughly enjoyed them.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:48 pm

The scores are in;

Nintendo Power 10/10
IGN 9.5/10
Gametrailers 9.6/10
1UP 9/10
Gamespy 4.5/5
GameDaily 9/10
GameSpot 8.5/10

I usually go with Gamespot and they rated it a bit more average than the rest of the review crews.
Still, even though it's more of the same, it is another reason to get a Wii.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:58 pm

Metroid Prime 3 Graphics Comparison.
Here Gamespot compares the graphics of Metroid Prime 3 on the Wii to Metroid Prime Echoes on the Gamecube.
Does the Wii deliver in terms of graphics? Yes, there's a definite improvement, but to what degree is debatable.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:27 pm

*bump*

This was a criminally overlooked game in 2007. a week after Bioshock, a month before Halo, poor Metroid never had a shot.

The first in the Prime series is one of my all time favorite games. I've never played a game that so consistently challenged and gripped me with just gameplay. 2 slipped a little, but 3 brought it all back home in superbly accessible package. I was slightly disgruntled with the Wii control (some stuff didn't work the first time i flicked my wrist and had to try again), but the game was forgiving enough that it never made me frustrated.

If you own a wii and did not play this game, you're missing something outstanding. It brings home elements of the original Metroids and brings in enough new stuff to stand on its own.

Retro Studios won't do another metroid game next, so the future of the franchise is in limbo and Nintendo needs to sell a ton of these discs so they know a Metroid 5 is worth doing. (the prime trilogy takes place between metroid 1 and 2)
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Metroid Prime 3

Postby MadMind75 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:10 pm

Picked up Metroid Prime Trilogy for the Wii since Best Buy advertised it on sale for $19.99 ($50 normal price) during the week before Christmas. Actually, I managed to price match at Wal-mart the following week with the previous week's Best Buy ad.

I'm currently addicted to Metroid Prime 3 (I'd already played through Prime 1&2 on the 'cube).
I'm just hoping there's no one-time scans like there was in the first Metroid Prime!
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind75 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:35 pm

About 50% or more through MP3, and am thoroughly enjoying it.
A lot of gamers tend to complain about the backtracking required in the Metroid series, but call me crazy, I've always enjoyed retreading old ground and tying up loose ends. Scanning everything does get old though.

Thank god you can acquire item location dots on your map in this one!!! Scanning the Shriekbat family is frustrating!
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind75 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:42 am

23 hours in, I beat Metroid Prime 3 with 100% completion, missing only two (limited-time) scans in the game (the advanced shield trooper, and armored shield trooper).
I was missing two pickups and found that they were hiding in Bryyo Ice, which even after you've mapped the items, doesn't show up on the Bryyo map until you've entered the warp to Bryyo Ice.

I like that they wrapped up the Phazon storyline. As much as I've enjoyed the Metroid Prime trilogy, three games is enough. Retro studios has had their turn interpreting the Metroid legacy, now it's someone else's turn.

I look forward to Team Ninja's take when Metroid: Other M is released this year.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Return to Technology & Video Games