MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, July 31, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Will the Big "Ten" add another?

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Re: Will the Big "Ten" add another?

Postby O.J. » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:42 am

boston_jeff wrote: That said, I would prefer Mizzou over ND. ND isn't interested anyway.

Its about money

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/w ... index.html

If his figures are correct, it appears that Notre Dame might be the only addition that wouldn't negatively impact the revenues of the rest of the conference.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:36 am

A. ND isn't interested.
B. Do you really think that adding a Big 10 playoff after conference play will end up losing money in the long run?

Sure, none of the 4 schools discussed bring the financial clout that ND does, but you have to start somewhere.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:49 am

boston_jeff wrote:A. ND isn't interested.
B. Do you really think that adding a Big 10 playoff after conference play will end up losing money in the long run?

Sure, none of the 4 schools discussed bring the financial clout that ND does, but you have to start somewhere.

I have no idea how the conference would fare financially, but Mandel, if his figures are correct, makes a compelling argument that it may amount to subtraction by addition. As bad as the Big Ten has been perceived to be over the last decade, they're still the most successful conference in gaining a second BCS bid. This would often be much harder to attain if one of the leagues Top 2 teams was guaranteed a loss in the Big Ten Championship.

I'm not a huge fan of all this realignment of conferences. Did you support BC's move to the ACC?
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:22 pm

Yes, I did. It was huge for BC. At the time the Big East was brutal for football and for hoops somewhat, obviously it has improved since then. Apples and oranges though, college sports just aren't as big in New England. We had to do anything we could to get more money and more national exposure. BC is one of the only D-I schools (if not the only) in the Northeast with football, hoops and hockey programs to fund. Not to mention all the other teams.

I think the Big 10 playoff would generate a lot of interest locally and increase the visibility of schools like UW nationally. All the coaches and ADs seem to be for it, it makes for compelling drama so I think most fans would be for it. Especially at a place like UW: great fans, great tradition, maybe a bit smaller profile than PSU, OSU and Mich, less likely to be conference champ. A loss in a championship game might hurt BCS bowl chances but it might not, and I'd rather see great games down the stretch. The money wouldn't hurt either.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:05 pm

boston_jeff wrote:Hockey is an afterthought. Most college hockey conferences do not overlap with football/basketball conferences.

Quite true, but without a Big Ten hockey league, the Badgers aren't on TV nearly as often as they were a few years ago. Over time this could harm the UW hockey program by drastically limiting the fans' opportunities to see the team play.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:25 pm

It def. sucks big time. I was psyched when I moved here and saw how often the Badger hockey games were on. We rarely got to see BC on TV until the Beanpot and the Hockey East playoffs. I would hope that this could be resolved, not really sure why BTN is involved...
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:01 am

boston_jeff wrote: I would hope that this could be resolved, not really sure why BTN is involved...

Vagaries of the BTN contract. A phone answerer at Charter told me that the UW and the BTN wouldn't even sanction showing Badger games on "uncommitted" cable channels in areas of northern Wisconsin where they didn't get the feed for the few games that were on public television a year or two ago. I assume the BTN is protecting their potential rights should the Big Ten ever have its own hockey league, but this kind of thing illustrates why the whole BTN thing isn't necessarily a boon for viewers.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby alimaamoser » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:47 am

Only One word to characterize such a great post “WOW” that was a very interesting read
such a wonderful information for me..i am really impress it.
PROACTOL
alimaamoser

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:50 pm

Scratch Missouri and Pittsburgh. It might be Texas instead.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:58 pm

Now it looks like Texas is out and 15 others are in for consideration, at least according to Barry Alvarez.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:11 pm

It's all about the Benjamins.
An analysis prepared by a Chicago-based firm looked at whether the addition of five schools would generate enough revenue to make expansion worthwhile, according to the Chicago Tribune.

"The point was: We can all get richer if we bring in the right team or teams," a source told the Tribune.

According to the newspaper report, the source said the five schools evaluated by the firm William Blair & Company were Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, Missouri, Syracuse and Rutgers, though others also could be considered.

The singular issue is money, and whether the conference's current membership would be able to earn more than the $21 million to $22 million it earns per school each year.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:17 pm

Big news...
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:03 am

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=193&f=2560&t=5906897

Why add one or two when you can add five?

The Sweetest Sixteen?
Ten Of One, Plus Half A Dozen Of Another?
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:58 pm

The Big 12 is afraid they might lose Nebraska and Missouri to the Big 10.

The Big 12 has drawn a line in the sand for at least two member schools.

The conference, amid a chorus of story lines involving Pac-10 and Big Ten expansion has imposed a deadline of Friday for Nebraska and Missouri to state their intentions on whether they intend to bolt for the Big Ten, with the possibility of an extension for a decision by next Tuesday, The Austin American-Statesman has reported, citing two sources.

The Big 12's university presidents decided on imposing the ultimatum, two highly placed officials within two of the conference schools said, according to the newspaper.

"Nebraska has until 5 p.m. on Friday to tell us what they're going to do," one school official said, according to the The American-Statesman. "The same deal for Missouri. They have to tell us they're not going to the Big Ten."

A Dallas Morning News report also cited a deadline for the Cornhuskers but said it was within two weeks.

A political figure connected to Texas told The American-Statesman: "I know the war drums are beating. This is way beyond gossip."

If that happens, will the Big 12 really be the Big 10 and will the Big 10 finally be called by the correct count? If both schools defect and join, maybe we can be called the Big Baker's Dozen.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:34 pm

More indications that Nebraska will join the Big Ten.

Nebraska could be on its way to the Big Ten by Friday.

The university's Board of Regents on Wednesday evening amended the agenda for its previously scheduled Friday meeting to include a briefing from chancellor Harvey Perlman and athletic director Tom Osborne on conference alignment.

The regents could then vote to leave the Big 12, which could set in motion a series of defections that would end its days as a power conference.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking