MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Is Lakeside Fibers Closing?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Is Lakeside Fibers Closing?

Postby Ingabinga » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:22 pm

I was at Lakeside Fibers Sat. and was shocked by how little yarn they have. Does anyone know if they are planning to close? They have the most unpleasant help of any yarn store in the county, but I'd still be sad to see them go. Although unless they improve on the current pathetic selection, they are pretty much gone already.
Ingabinga

Re: Is Lakeside Fibers Closing?

Postby lolagirl » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:37 pm

They have the most unpleasant help of any yarn store in the county, but I'd still be sad to see them go.

I find this statement curious. I go out of my way to patronize small, independently owned stores over big-box, online or chains whenever I can. While I may end up paying a bit more (less often than you might think) I've found that - usually - the smaller indie stores will have personnel who are knowledgeable about the merchandise, and more than willing to share and inform. However, if the experiences you've had here are unpleasant - why on earth would you keep going back?
lolagirl
Forum Addict

Postby Ingabinga » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:46 pm

lolagirl wrote:
They have the most unpleasant help of any yarn store in the county, but I'd still be sad to see them go.

I find this statement curious. I go out of my way to patronize small, independently owned stores over big-box, online or chains whenever I can. While I may end up paying a bit more (less often than you might think) I've found that - usually - the smaller indie stores will have personnel who are knowledgeable about the merchandise, and more than willing to share and inform. However, if the experiences you've had here are unpleasant - why on earth would you keep going back?

I also go out of my way to patronize local independently owned stores. I am happy to pay a little more to do my part to make the place I live a stronger community. And I agree that the prices are usually comparable. And I also agree that the helpful, knowledgeable staff is usually a big part of the attraction.

This, however, is not the case with the store in question. I don't "keep going back." I now go there entirely for the coffee shop, although I was in the yarn section recently because I was looking for a particular button that none of the other local yarn shops stocked. (Lakeside didn't have it either, so I'll go back to the Sow's Ear or the Knitting Tree and choose different buttons from their selections). Anyway, my post wasn't primarily about the staff at the store, rather about it's apparent demise. It has less than half the inventory that it had the last time I was there.
Ingabinga

Postby ktepasacalabaza » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:27 pm

I don't know the answer, but I wanted to give this topic a bump, as I was just wondering this myself. I visited within the last week and it was pretty scarce - their Cascade wall was more than half empty, and a lot of shelves just had one skein or ball of yarn on it... but, I heard the saleslady checking someone out, and explaining their 90 day return policy (which would seem pointless if they were closing, I would think).
And IMO, the rudest yarn store clerk was the Eastern European/ Russian lady who used to work at Knitting Tree. Their yarn/ needles seems to be pricier than Sow's Ear or Lakeside, so I generally don't go.
ktepasacalabaza

Postby snoqueen » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:55 pm

Another yarn store has opened on Willy St where Pick More Daisies used to be. It's called Off the Beaten Path, I think. I was in there over the weekend and thought they had a nice selection.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:23 am

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ingabinga » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:55 pm

I went to Off The Beaten Path once when it was still in Monona and it wasn't appealing enough to make me go back, but I will give it a try again now that it's in town.

Does anyone know what happened to Pik More Daisies? Did it move or just go out of business? I always liked that store. Now that the antique store on Monroe is also gone, any suggestions for where to go for more old stuff I don't need?
Ingabinga

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:59 pm

Is the little antiques-and-resale store on Monroe St across from Michael's Frozen Custard still there?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:12 pm

Off the Beaten Path used to be open in what was essentially the living room and kitchen of the owner's house, so it's not new.

The antiques shop by the Knitting Tree has closed.

I know that Lakeside's manager (who is actually very nice) is on this forum, but I don't know if she's posted for a while, so maybe she'll pop in sometime.
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ingabinga » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:59 pm

Ummm, Lakeside's manager is NOT actually nice at all. At least not to customers.
Ingabinga

Postby lukpac » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:24 am

Ingabinga wrote:Does anyone know what happened to Pik More Daisies? Did it move or just go out of business?

It closed. There was a closing sale a few months ago.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:33 pm

Just went back in there today and was delighted. I liked the selection and the help. And of course it's a pretty location. Coffee and cookie at Washington Hotel Tea Room was sweet. Shop local.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pattymcnutt » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:45 pm

Glad to hear it! I'll have to make a trip over there and check it out. I stopped going because the staff was so darn ill-tempered, but if it is under new management, I'll definitely try it again!

Bwis53 wrote:Just went back in there today and was delighted. I liked the selection and the help. And of course it's a pretty location. Coffee and cookie at Washington Hotel Tea Room was sweet. Shop local.
pattymcnutt
Forum Addict

Postby KidCapitol » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:55 am

Ingabinga wrote:I was at Lakeside Fibers Sat. and was shocked by how little yarn they have. Does anyone know if they are planning to close? They have the most unpleasant help of any yarn store in the county, but I'd still be sad to see them go. Although unless they improve on the current pathetic selection, they are pretty much gone already.

I dunno.
Maybe you could, like, ask them directly?
I know that's a very very strange idea and that it makes much more sense to come onto here and ask a bunch of folks who don't work there.
KidCapitol
Forum Addict

Postby pds » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:49 am

The knitting store portion was purchased by the owner of the Knitting Tree on Monroe Street, so any comments on the store/employees before Bwis, shouldn't be held against the current store.
pds

Next

Return to Town Vibe