MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 36.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

2009-2010 Badger Men's Basketball Season Started Last Sunday

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

2009-2010 Badger Men's Basketball Season Started Last Sunday

Postby acereraser » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:19 pm

Sorry I forgot to start the thread until now, folks. Once again, the Badgers start unranked, but once again, I predict that they will end up in the top three of the Big Ten. Bo is just too good of a coach, and there is too much talent on the squad to see the season heading in another direction.

Nankivil looks much more comfortable in his role as Big Ten big man, against an Oakland team with decent size. He had four blocks tonight, as well as a couple impressive flushes. Hughes played like a senior; a few moments of brilliance (one very athletic block), but also showing the poise of a floor leader. Evans looks hungry like only a redshirt freshman can. A little sloppy (except for the haircut), but his energy is exciting. Leuer wasn't shooting as well tonight as the previous game, but he kept his head in the game. I hope stays that way against tougher opponents.

On to Hawaii!
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1428
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 8:42 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Badger Men's Basketball Season Started Last Sunday

Postby Peacetrain » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:59 am

acereraser wrote:Sorry I forgot to start the thread until now, folks. Once again, the Badgers start unranked, but once again, I predict that they will end up in the top three of the Big Ten. Bo is just too good of a coach, and there is too much talent on the squad to see the season heading in another direction.

Nankivil looks much more comfortable in his role as Big Ten big man, against an Oakland team with decent size. He had four blocks tonight, as well as a couple impressive flushes. Hughes played like a senior; a few moments of brilliance (one very athletic block), but also showing the poise of a floor leader. Evans looks hungry like only a redshirt freshman can. A little sloppy (except for the haircut), but his energy is exciting. Leuer wasn't shooting as well tonight as the previous game, but he kept his head in the game. I hope stays that way against tougher opponents.

On to Hawaii!


With how good the big 10 is this year i could see us finishing anywhere from 3rd-6th. Even at 6th they would hover around the top 25 and be a lock for the ncaa tourney.
Peacetrain
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 712
Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 4:49 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Badger Men's Basketball Season Started Last Sunday

Postby banjovee » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:42 pm

It's as easy to get in the 'Tourney these days as it is to get into church on Christmas morning. Badger fans are yet to really grasp that fact which means Bo still gets a ton of credit for merely getting to "The Big Dance." Thing is, without a modern-day format that focuses on press and speed, Badger Final Four appearances will be limited to once-every-twenty-years freak shows. Bo recruits players that play his half court, man-to-man, live-by-the-three, slow poke game. He gets those players to do that very well. But players who can swarm the ball, do a zone coming and going, play the outlet, and reap the benefit of a deep bench with likewise team mates aren't interested in coming to UW for Bo's meat and potatoes game. Those recruits want to go to the Final Four in the next four years. Bo seems like an honorable man in a not always honorable profession. One who can positively motivate his team. He'll be here forever. What a bummer.
banjovee
Senior Member
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:29 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Badger Men's Basketball Season Started Last Sunday

Postby acereraser » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:43 pm

banjovee wrote:It's as easy to get in the 'Tourney these days as it is to get into church on Christmas morning. Badger fans are yet to really grasp that fact which means Bo still gets a ton of credit for merely getting to "The Big Dance."]


Tell that to Michigan and Kentucky.


banjovee wrote:Thing is, without a modern-day format that focuses on press and speed, Badger Final Four appearances will be limited to once-every-twenty-years freak shows. Bo recruits players that play his half court, man-to-man, live-by-the-three, slow poke game. He gets those players to do that very well. But players who can swarm the ball, do a zone coming and going, play the outlet, and reap the benefit of a deep bench with likewise team mates aren't interested in coming to UW for Bo's meat and potatoes game. Those recruits want to go to the Final Four in the next four years. Bo seems like an honorable man in a not always honorable profession. One who can positively motivate his team. He'll be here forever. What a bummer.


Your bummer is my awesome. Would you rather your flagship state school employ the likes of John Calhoun & Kelvin Sampson, and gamble for high stakes? Personally, as someone who endured the Clem Haskins' implosion on that side of the border, I don't think it is worth the risk. I feel lucky that Bo is as good as he is, while being as clean as he is.

Also, I disagree on the goals of the players you are describing. I don't think they really care about reaching the Final Four in four years, they would rather reach the NBA in two years. Did you watch any of the Gophers games with Kris Humphries on the team? It was the opposite of team basketball, and it was atrocious.

Another factor you aren't mentioning is academic requirements, but I gotta run.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1428
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 8:42 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Badger Men's Basketball Season Started Last Sunday

Postby Peacetrain » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:42 pm

[quote="banjovee"]It's as easy to get in the 'Tourney these days as it is to get into church on Christmas morning. quote]

With the increase of mid-major automatic and at large bids(most years) over the past 10ish years its actually harder than ever to get into the tourney.

If you expect Wisconsin to be at a level to make a run at the final four every year shows you must not understand recruiting at the college level.

I think i will go with the opinions of Bo's peers on whether or not he's a good fit for UW and worthy of my praise and respect, not your unrealistic expectations.
Peacetrain
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 712
Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 4:49 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Badger Men's Basketball Season Started Last Sunday

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:21 am

This thread is almost as funny as Bo's haircut.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2603
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:41 pm
Location: Near East

Re: 2009-2010 Badger Men's Basketball Season Started Last Sunday

Postby acereraser » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:59 pm

Two games into the Big Ten schedule, the Badgers are at the top of the conference standings, and ranked 17th/20th in the country, depending on the poll. Pretty good, eh? I mean, only the homerest among us would have dared predict this at the beginning of the season, right? But, they would still have had the most accurate prediction.

By the way, Evans has begun to produce offensively the last two games, getting into double digits last night with 10. Good stuff.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1428
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 8:42 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Badger Men's Basketball Season Started Last Sunday

Postby O.J. » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:07 am

Huge win by the Badgers on Saturday, but there's an ugly internet rumor that Jon Leuer broke his wrist and might be out for the season. Anyone got the scoop?
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3012
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:13 am

Re: 2009-2010 Badger Men's Basketball Season Started Last Sunday

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:11 am

O.J. wrote:Huge win by the Badgers on Saturday, but there's an ugly internet rumor that Jon Leuer broke his wrist and might be out for the season. Anyone got the scoop?

On the maroon and kelly green Internets maybe. I only see mentions on Gopher and Sparty message boards. Gimme something local before I really start worrying.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8413
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East

Re: 2009-2010 Badger Men's Basketball Season Started Last Sunday

Postby O.J. » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:14 am

It appears that's where they originated from; and, without seeing anything from the local feeds almost 2 days later, makes me very suspicious. I'm also not sure if a broken wrist on his non-shooting hand would keep him out all year.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3012
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:13 am

Re: 2009-2010 Badger Men's Basketball Season Started Last Sunday

Postby O.J. » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:28 am

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3012
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:13 am

Re: 2009-2010 Badger Men's Basketball Season Started Last Sunday

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:42 am

I had to go and ask for local confirmation...
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8413
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East

Re: 2009-2010 Badger Men's Basketball Season Started Last Sunday

Postby LLUrbanUnderachiever » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:44 pm

Time for Nankivil to step up big time. He has the chops, he just needs them to show up a little more consistently.
LLUrbanUnderachiever
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:08 pm
Location: Fitchbillings

Re: 2009-2010 Badger Men's Basketball Season Started Last Sunday

Postby nevermore » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:22 pm

FTG coming in running smack on how soft Jon Leuer is in 3..2..1..
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3833
Joined: Tue May 22, 2001 11:07 am

Re: 2009-2010 Badger Men's Basketball Season Started Last Sunday

Postby Marvell » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:17 am

While there's no doubt that this sucks, it's not the end of the Bucky world.

Just look at what Wisconsin has been able to do with Leuer missing most of the half with foul trouble against both Ohio State and Purdue. Evans has really stepped up as an interior defender; increasingly Bruesewitz will have to as well, and early indications are that he's up for the challenge.

If Leuer can be back in time for the Big 10 tourney, I like Bucky's chances in the post-season. Even if he isn't I'm still expecting the usual Badgers big dance invite.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6989
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2001 11:28 pm
Location: At one with time and space

Next

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR
Created with flickr badge.

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar