MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 2, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 57.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Fessin' Up

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Fessin' Up

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:25 pm

I have to admit. Mark McGuire was always my favorite baseball player. Today he confessed to what everyone already knew.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100111/ap_ ... ds_mcgwire
At least he's man enough to admit it. Take notice Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Sammy Sosa, 75% of MLB in the '90s. You're not fooling anybody.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Fessin' Up

Postby nevermore » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:16 pm

McGwiroid admits to the wetness of water. Huge shock!

What's really sickening is how Satan's spawn, La Russa and Selig, are sucking up to him. They're even going to let him in a clubhouse again.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:22 pm

He's another guy (besides Pete Rose) that shouldn't get into the Hall of Fame, at least while he's still alive. If Shoeless Joe Jackson ever gets in, then maybe.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Right Bower » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:48 pm

nevermore wrote:McGwiroid admits to the wetness of water. Huge shock!

What's really sickening is how Satan's spawn, La Russa and Selig, are sucking up to him. They're even going to let him in a clubhouse again.

I love how La Russa claims he had no idea until this morning. Right.
Right Bower
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:52 pm

You know at least he said it. More than I can say for a certain ex-cubbie. This one:

He could have stood up there and lied like Barry and Roger. He'd be headed to court right now had he gone that route. Steroids were rampant. Like the onion article states the best baseball player of the 90's if you exclude steroid users is Craig Counsel. I don't think McGuire should be in the hall. But you'd better keep the rest of those big necked cheaters out as well.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:32 am

Okay, you want me to say it? Sammy Sosa corked his bat and he corked his body and it looked like he corked that young lady's breasts. He's dead to me. Happy, deadbird fan?

Do you believe, as McGwire said on MLB.TV last night, that the steroids and HGH didn't affect his performance? Do you believe Tony La Russa when he says he had no idea that McGwire was juicing? And do you think it's OK he's in the Cardinals clubhouse as the hitting coach?
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:38 am

Do you believe, as McGwire said on MLB.TV last night, that the steroids and HGH didn't affect his performance?

No.
Do you believe Tony La Russa when he says he had no idea that McGwire was juicing?

Nope.
And do you think it's OK he's in the Cardinals clubhouse as the hitting coach?

As long as he's not the juicing coach I'm absolutely fine with it.
Happy, deadbird fan?

Ha!. When I said I was always a fan I should have mentioned that I was a fan when he was on the A's. I was a fan when I was 12 and collected baseball cards. I stopped paying attention to baseball after the strike until a few years ago. Now that I do follow the sport again the deadbirds are at the top of my list of hated rivals.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:37 am

fisticuffs wrote:
Happy, deadbird fan?

Ha!. When I said I was always a fan I should have mentioned that I was a fan when he was on the A's. I was a fan when I was 12 and collected baseball cards. I stopped paying attention to baseball after the strike until a few years ago. Now that I do follow the sport again the deadbirds are at the top of my list of hated rivals.

I maliciously insulted you wrongly. My deepest apologies.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:16 pm

He sucks because he's still in denial. Either he's a moron or a scumbag, take your pick. And what does he know about hitting? "Take some HGH and let 'er rip!" Great advice.

Pete Rose and Shoeless Joe are interesting cases, but you can't say they didn't play the game the right way. The numbers reflect their talent. Gambling and steroids are not equal IMO. Steroids are worse.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:42 pm

I'm mainly pissed at McGwire that the rookie cards I have of him are now pretty much worthless.

I've struggled with this issue for a while. Would I vote against any player that admitted/tested positive for steroids? What about players that were merely rumored to have used them? Do you simply vote against any and all players from this era? I think the last thing I, or, more importantly, any Hall voter should have to do, is try and determine the culpability of every eligible player. As of now, I think the only "fair" thing to do would be to either ignore steroid use completely in determining Hall induction, or systematically disqualify everyone from this era(although, the beginning of this era seems to be getting pushed further into the past with every passing day).

More than anything, I think the steroid controversy is a fascinating look at what is, and what isn't, considered an acceptable form of cheating in baseball. Amphetamine use was rampant in the 60's and 70's; do players from that era get a pass?
Why is corking your bat seen as an unforgiveable act, while doctoring the baseball is taken for granted. If it weren't for cheating, Gaylord Perry wouldn't be in the Hall of Fame. Stealing signs has always, and will always, have a place in baseball.

If the most hallowed record in all of sports (statistics take on FAR more importance in baseball than any other sport) wasn't broken, I doubt the fallout from this would have been nearly as severe.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:03 pm

Obviously you have to vote them in eventually. The HOF voting process is so fucked up, they didn't even vote Robbie Alomar in this year. That's pathetic. Dude spit on an umpire once and the writers f-ed with him. My views on the HOF process are for another day, but it will take years for the current BBWAA to elect McGwire if he ever gets in. Personally, I think you have to let him in based on his numbers. Just accept the fact that ballplayers took steroids (and still take them) and move on. Otherwise no one from this era (except guys like Alomar who weren't obvious juicers) will be elected.

I think with guys like Bonds and Clemens you don't even have to think about it much, they were superstars before the juice--both first ballot HOFers. McGwire claims that he would have been just as good without it...anyone out there think this is true? He's still lying to himself and the rest of us. That's the sad thing here. Without steroids, he would not have broken the single season HR record and he would not have almost 600 HRs. Thats a fact.

I'm bummed about my Big Mac olympic rookie cards too, but they were starting to go down in value a decade ago...
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:28 pm

I think one guy that the BBWAA-HAAH!!! can legitimately give a pass to is Ken Griffey Jr.

Do we know for certain that The Kid is clean? No. But given how many games he's lost to injury over the back half of his career, it's a pretty clear indication that he didn't look to steroids to battle back from his physical woes.

I always thought Griffey was a good dude. This only helps underscore my perception.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:40 pm

Yeah, he's not an obvious juicer and he's a real human being with flaws:
http://www.nytimes.com/1992/03/16/sport ... gewanted=1
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:02 pm

Speaking of no-neck cheaters looks like the apple doesn't fall to far from the 'roid rage tree.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/1 ... 20753.html
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking