MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, August 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 75.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Conan addresses "People of Earth"

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

Re: Conan addresses "People of Earth"

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:45 pm

Yeah, I posted a link above. Great stuff. Patton Oswalt did a piece on the radio about this FUBAR mess, really distilled it down to intelligence, comedy and the tradition. He like many others want to shake Leno at this point. Some (most) people just don't get it. I'll take intelligence and wit (coupled with great guests, and excellent comedic and musical talent) over blah every day of the week.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby chainsawcurtis » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:07 pm

Arf! I must have missed the link but was wandering around the dial last night and got mesmerized by the bit. I missed Chevy Chase to watch Craig before falling asleep from all this late night talk show business.....
chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:50 pm

boston_jeff wrote:I'll take intelligence and wit (coupled with great guests, and excellent comedic and musical talent) over blah every day of the week.

That show sounds awesome! When is someone gonna put that on?
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Goober McTuber » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:15 pm

joesmith wrote:
For what it's worth, I rank in order of creative wit:
1) Ferguson
2) Letterman
3) Conan
4) Jimmy Kimmel
5) Jimmy Falon
6) Jimmy Carter
7) Tyra Banks
8 ) Madame Albright
9) Mike McCarthy
10) A ham sandwich
11 ) Jay Leno

Does the sammy have mayo or not?

Miracle Whip.
Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:51 pm

Goober McTuber wrote:Miracle Whip.

NOOOOOOOO
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:22 pm

The network moved Leno to 10 p.m. in September but it has been a weak lead-in for the 11 p.m. news at WHDH-TV (Ch.7) and affiliates across the country. Both funnymen have been ratings disappointments in their new time slots, and Channel 7 protested Leno’s move to prime-time last spring.

“We definitely like Conan’s show. We weren’t disappointed in it in any way,” Channel 7’s Chris Wayland said yesterday. “It was a new show, and like any new show, you have to give it some time in order to find its stride.”

In his statement, O’Brien said he worked long and hard to sit in the “Tonight Show” chair and passed up “far more lucrative offers.”

“It was my mistaken belief that, like my predecessor, I would have the benefit of some time and, just as important, some degree of ratings support from the prime-time schedule. Building a lasting audience at 11:30 is impossible without both,” he said.

“But sadly, we were never given that chance.”
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:45 pm

boston_jeff wrote:If you think Jay sucked less than Conan at any point in his career on late night TV, then you are a moron and I can't argue with you.

:lol: Must be a warm and comfy life for you in Conan's rectum.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:48 pm

chainsawcurtis wrote: Has anybody noticed that last night Kimmel did his whole show as Jay Leno? Fake chin, gray hair, lisp. Even the band was doing a direct parody of Kevin Eubanks. It was outstanding!

I saw the last 30 seconds and it was indeed hilarious. Have to catch it on reruns, but it won't be the same. T-t--t-t-timing is everything with comedy.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:02 pm

Well one good thing will come of this. I set the DVR to Conan. I will watch him in lieu of Sportscenter in the morning. I'd watch it live but Colbert is on during most of the good parts. Someone should start a web campaign to DVR Conan.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:01 am

What's appealing about Conan is that he doesn't try to be mainstream and please everyone. But he can't have it both ways. It's simply not credible that Conan was going to build a Leno-sized audiance. You can't compare Conan's first season with Leno's first season, Conan has been a talk show host for 10 years and has established his quirky brand.

Johnny Carson was a freak. He was both a sharp wit and a people pleaser. I can't think of anbody else who could pull it off. I would give Russell Brand a shot, he has a mix of genuine sweet and sour.

The fairest outcome for this saga would have been for Leno to move to Fox. That makes so much sense from everyone's perspective except NBC.

You really can't expect a business to go beyond the letter of a legal agreement and honor the spirit when they percieve it could costs them hundreds of millions of dollars. Hell, businesses routinely violate the letter of contracts if they calculate the penalty for breaking the contract is less than the advantage.

Popular culture is going to write the history as Leno conspiring with NBC to screw Conan out of his rightful inheritance. Certainly some truth to it. Not sure it will cause a single person to switch channels. If I were Leno, I would jump to Fox, he has enough money.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:13 am

Huckleby wrote:I would give Russell Brand a shot, he has a mix of genuine sweet and sour.

Maybe I don't know enough of this guy, but nothing I've read/seen/heard says that he's got much more mainstream appeal than Andrew Dice Clay.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:31 am

His stand-up act is lame, IMO. Not as stupid as Andrew Dice Clay, but I see the comparison.

Conversationally, Brand is brilliant, the anti-Dice Clay. He's able to charm with wit and warmth. Give his recent interview with Terry Gross a try:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =122017344

I suppose you're right that he would never be mainstream. But he could be as popular as Conan.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:25 pm

Someone who knows a little bit about something:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ei4rgiDveY
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peacetrain » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:04 pm

boston_jeff wrote:If you think Jay sucked less than Conan at any point in his career on late night TV, then you are a moron and I can't argue with you.

Wow. Apparently you've got a super-sized ego and superior taste to go along with your unmatched intellect.
Peacetrain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:09 pm

I think the disconnect here is the audience for Jay. People who think Jay is funny are mostly people who don't know a whole lot about or haven't been exposed to many kinds of comedy. They're the ones filling up the theater for Snow Dogs and The Bucket List. They only understand (or "get") jokes of the most un-evolved simple level. Basically they are to comedy what Dave Matthews fans are to music.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to TV