MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 2, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 61.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

City to ban sale of 750mil, 22oz, etc. beer bottles

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

City to ban sale of 750mil, 22oz, etc. beer bottles

Postby kweetech » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:46 pm

We all know about the impending decision by the city to ban drinking by bar owners/workers/ etc....but looking at the agenda of the 1/20 meeting...I also came accross this

THIRD SUBSTITUTE - Creating 38.07(15) of the Madison General Ordinances
to prohibit the sale of beer or malt liquor in amounts less than the amount
contained in a six pack of bottles or cans, intoxicating liquor in amounts of two
hundred (200) milliliters or less in volume, malt based flavored coolers in less
than a four pack, and the sale of fortified wines for consumption off premises.

So basically...what I am reading is banning any beer not sold in a 6pack.
Am I right?
WHAT THE FUCK!!!!!
I can see where they are going (banning 40's of malt liquor)...but do they know anything about the craft beer industry?
All the fun 4packs - gone, all the big belgians - gone, all the short run specialty beers - gone
I am speechless at the absurdity of this...
Tell me I'm confused...and our city ALRC is not this dense.
http://legistar.cityofmadison.com/calendar/#current
check the 1/20 meeting...
kweetech
Forum Addict

Re: City to ban sale of 750mil, 22oz, etc. beer bottles

Postby EverWonder » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:02 pm

They are totally that dense. No one on the ALRC has much if any knowledge about craft beer, or import beer, or quality beer. They think we all binge drink 40's until we end up in detox.
EverWonder

Postby joesmith » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:33 am

I lived in Utah this summer and they have a law that you can buy 1 12 ounce beer at a time. When you buy a 6 pack it rings up as 6 individual sales. The logic is forcing people to buy 6 beers makes it more likely they will DRINK 6 beers. Maybe the CC wants people to start drinking more?
joesmith

Postby Bland » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:39 am

joesmith wrote:I lived in Utah this summer and they have a law that you can buy 1 12 ounce beer at a time. When you buy a 6 pack it rings up as 6 individual sales. The logic is forcing people to buy 6 beers makes it more likely they will DRINK 6 beers.

I don't know what that is but it sure ain't logic.
Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby EverWonder » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:55 am

Bland wrote:
joesmith wrote:I lived in Utah this summer and they have a law that you can buy 1 12 ounce beer at a time. When you buy a 6 pack it rings up as 6 individual sales. The logic is forcing people to buy 6 beers makes it more likely they will DRINK 6 beers.

I don't know what that is but it sure ain't logic.

Which of course makes it perfect for our city government. Logic be damned there's headlines to grab.
EverWonder

Postby kweetech » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:45 am

Here's some more info I found on the city site. clears things up a bit.
Still seems like petty ordinance, penned by people who can't see the actual problems.

DRAFTER'S ANALYSIS: This proposal prohibits the sale of beer or malt liquor (fermented malt beverages) in amounts less than the amount contained in a six pack of bottles or cans. The proposal also prohibits the sale of intoxicating liquor in amounts less than 200 milliliters, and the sale of fortified wines. This prohibition does not apply to the sale of micro brewed beers and imported beers. The proposal defines micro brewed and imported beers. This proposal contains a sunset provision that repeals this ordinance on December 31, 2012. Also, this ordinance has a delayed effective date of July 1, 2009.
***********************************************************************************
The Common Council of the City of Madison do hereby ordain as follows:
Subsection (15) of Section 38.07 entitled “General Restrictions” of the Madison General Ordinances is created to read as follows:
“(15) Volume Regulated.
(a) No retailer licensed under this Chapter shall be permitted to sell, dispense or give away fermented malt beverages in the original container in amounts less than the amount contained in a six pack of bottles or cans, for consumption off the licensed premises. This prohibition shall not apply to the sale of microbrewery fermented malt beverages or to imported malt beverages.
1. Definitions.
Imported Malt Beverages. A fermented malt beverage that is manufactured and bottled outside the United States of America or its territories.
Microbrewery. A brewer where not more than one hundred fifty thousand (150,000) barrels of fermented malt beverages are manufactured in a calendar year by the permittee’s brewery group.
(b) No retailer licensed under this Chapter shall be permitted to sell, dispense or give away intoxicating liquor in the original container in amounts less than two hundred (200) milliliters in volume, for consumption off the licensed premises.
(c) No retailer licensed under this Chapter shall be permitted to sell, dispense or give away wine in the original container with an alcohol content of more than 15% alcohol by volume, where spirits have been added to the wine that have not been produced from the
05/01/09-F:\Atroot\Docs\dma\Ord General\ORDDRAFT\4546fermented2ndSUB.doc __________________________________
09/SC/JZ.SB Michael P. May, City Attorney
Page 2
05/01/09-F:\Atroot\Docs\dma\Ord General\ORDDRAFT\4546fermented2ndSUB.doc
same fruit as the wine, for consumption off the licensed premises. This prohibition shall not apply to vermouth, port, sherry, and wine sealed with a cork and aged two years or more, and wine with more than 14 percent alcohol because of natural fermentation.
(d) No provision of this subsection shall supersede any condition(s) already in existence and placed on a retailer’s license by the Madison Common Council.
(e) Sunset. This ordinance shall automatically repeal on December 31, 2012.
kweetech
Forum Addict

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:29 am

Duh, I wonder if this will stop the homeless from drinking in public? How fucking leotarded are these shitheads?
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:30 am

The proposal is crystal clear to me. Madison approves of:
-rich beer snobs
-small(er) businesses
-importers, regardless of size
And disapproves of:
-hobos
-alcoholics
-poor people, who just wanna get a buzz on
-major U.S. corporations

I think that Canadian manufacturers of malt liquor could stand to benefit from the passage of this ordinance.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:48 am

Poor alcoholics have no rights!
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:19 pm

Make no mistake, the underlying agenda here is prohibition, done incrementally. There is always some justification for taking away a little freedom. It's for our own good after all, and if we can't see that then we're probably just alcoholics whose opinions don't matter anyway.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kweetech » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:52 pm

I think what they want is people to buy alcohol in larger quantities...

Which creates a real problem for me.
I need a bigger fridge.
kweetech
Forum Addict

Postby Goober McTuber » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:06 pm

I’m glad they’re exempting microbrews because Woodman’s has a cooler where you can buy individual 12 oz bottles for $1.89. Nice way to check out different beers.
Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Postby rumrunner » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:12 pm

Belles is getting dangerously close to missing their definition of a micobrewery.
rumrunner

Postby jmarie » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:27 pm

This ordinance was originally proposed months ago- and has been referred a few times. From what I hear the sponsors are likely not moving forward with it. Until it has been officially tabled it keeps showing up on the ALRC agenda for the month that it was referred to from the previous meeting. So I wouldn't worry- you should be able to continue to enjoy your beer in all sizes!
jmarie

Postby bill6beers » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:47 pm

Sierra Nevada's capacity is 600,000 barrels. They'd be prohibited from selling 4-packs. Samuel Adams 4-packs = contraband (1.2M bbls). Bell's will be over the limit in 2010.
bill6beers

Next

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails