MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

Palin: Let's be clear

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

Palin: Let's be clear

Postby jjoyce » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:00 am

O'Reilly says the left feels threatened by Sarah Palin. Allow me to speak for the left for a second: We love Sarah Palin. Fox wants to put her on the air? Put her on the air EVERY DAY.

http://gawker.com/5446841/sarah-palin-w ... e=true&s=x

In fact, let the most partisan GOP hacks interview her. Throw her softballs! Ask her what her favorite color is! The liberal media traffics in Palin being stupid? Uh, Palin traffics in Palin being stupid.

As far as this leftie is concerned, Fox can't put her on the air enough. And yes, Fox ratings are sure to benefit because even the hard core left loves watching her. The chick's entertaining! You never know what's going to come out of her mouth next!

Finally, O'Reilly thinks Palin on Fox could "neutralize" 60 Minutes. Let's look at the numbers from last week, as O'Reilly loves to do:

60 Minutes: 10,027,000 (Highest rated news show for what, 30 years? More?)
O'Reilly: 3,836,000 (Highest rated CABLE news show.)

Isn't being the highest rated cable news show kind of like being the best quarterback in the Canadian Football League?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Palin: Let's be clear

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:06 am

O'Reilly: 3,836,000 (Highest rated CABLE news show.)

The "Factor" is a news show? I never would have guessed that.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:44 am

jjoyce wrote:Isn't being the highest rated cable news show kind of like being the best quarterback in the Canadian Football League?

Quote of the day! Thank you, sir.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:22 pm

Couldn't agree more. Put Palin and others of her ilk on 24/7. The more people who see what they are really all about, the better.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:57 pm

I'm not convinced that Palin is good for the Left, let alone the nation. Do you guys really want to spend another minute lambasting the next ignorant Palin web video highlight? There are a number of obstacles to advancing the progressive agenda (feel free to edit or add your own). They are:
A) establishing a consensus within the progressive ranks
B) dealing with valid criticisms from outside the progressive ranks (some of you may not believe this is even possible, so feel free to ignore this one at your own risk)
C) dealing with morons
You guys seem happy to spend most of your time (at least your Foron time) on Obstacle C. Is this even remotely productive? I have no sympathy for Palin, O'Reilly, or the rest of the Foxholes, but I also don't see how Palin could be repulsive enough to get conservative voters to switch teams. However, I do suppose that Palin and Co. do provide a useful criticism-deflector; no matter how bad a progressive-backed proposal might be, it's going to be hard to out-stupid Palin and Co.'s plans (if they can even be coherently assembled into 'a plan'). I'm not happy with "at least it's not as bad as it would be with Palin/O'Reilly/Limbaugh in charge".
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:11 pm

Aren't A and B kind of at odds with each other? Why do we need a consensus? Not being single minded robots is what makes Progressives so much more effective problem solvers than Conservatives who only know two words. Taxes, 9/11.

Anywho I think this is the nail in the Palin 2012 coffin. She can make way more money as a pundit than as a politician. Ask the fine people of Alaska.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:26 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Aren't A and B kind of at odds with each other? Why do we need a consensus? Not being single minded robots is what makes Progressives so much more effective problem solvers than Conservatives who only know two words. Taxes, 9/11.

Anywho I think this is the nail in the Palin 2012 coffin. She can make way more money as a pundit than as a politician. Ask the fine people of Alaska.

Fair enough. Maybe A) should be "cooperate with other progressives to establish a mutually agreeable agenda". I think that progressives do a fair job of that anyway, but there are certainly examples of infighting that impedes progress.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mapper » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:12 pm

They obviously are not going to put her on the air too much because they are never too sure if, errrr when, she will just up and quit.
mapper

Postby mrak » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:31 pm

This, also:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA_yVbrMEPo

Now I see what Fox News was getting at by hiring Palin:
It's their long-awaited return to comedy programming.

I'm glad they're finally feeling ready to get back on that horse after the crash and burn that was "The Half Hour News Hour".
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Return to TV